Extracting translation patch from vba emulator?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by dynoma5, May 4, 2008.

May 4, 2008
  1. dynoma5
    OP

Newcomer dynoma5 Member

United States
    hey guys not sure if it's the right place to put this but I was wondering if it was possible to extract a translation patch that was embedded on a vba emulator? I recently found it and it's called vba4hanmaru. It automatically translate Gyakuten Saiban into korean if you use the modified emulator. There's even an option where you can turn the patch on or off. So if it's possible, could you guys teach me on what program to use? If needed I can post a link to the emulator.

2. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    just go to the memory editor and go to the address 08000000 and dump the entire gba rom space, then compare the original rom and the extracted rom and make an ips patch. Simple.

3. dynoma5
    OP

Newcomer dynoma5 Member

United States
    Thanks for replying but how do i go to the memory editor? On the original vba emulator i see the memory viewer but that option is not available on vba4hanmaru(modiefied emulator).

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I wondered how those patches worked but never bothered to find out how.
    Normmatt made the same suggestion I would have but if it is lacking in the modded version you have 2 choices:

1) Hope the command line is still there and dump the ram (it will be 08000000 through to 09FFFFFF (for a full 256Mbit rom, cut it down accordingly for smaller roms). I can not seem to find a command line list for VBA right now but I know they exist.

2) Use a windows hex editor to dump the memory. Same principle applies, you will need to find the memory location of the emulator and then the location of the rom and then dump 32 megabytes (or however big it is).
    There is an outside chance that the ram is compressed or obscured but I will save the reverse engineering parts for if that happens.

You could also just dump the entire memory section associated with the app and pull the rom out (I doubt the initial header will be changed and it will likely all be at once

5. dynoma5
    OP

Newcomer dynoma5 Member

United States
    Where would i get a hex editor to dump the memory and how would i locate it? Sorry I'm kind of new to these kind of things and dont really understand on how to do this.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Sorry I meant to link up a hex editor that was capable of it.

Mirkes.de tiny hexer would be a good start:
    http://www.mirkes.de/blog/index.php?archiv...amp;serendipity[lang_selected]=en

HxD is not bad either:
    http://mh-nexus.de/hxd/

The option is on the file menu in the case of tiny hexer and the app can automatically parse the ram for you.

Locating once you have the dump is a simple matter of searching (done like you would in any text document).

7. dynoma5
    OP

Newcomer dynoma5 Member

United States
    Okay I got tiny hexer installed and opened the modified vba emulator with it. After that i got a bunch of list of letters and numbers and broken characters. I went to option and selected compare file to the original vba emulator and as i went down the list most of the area was green. there were some white spots here and there but here is where it's completely white in the screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    I guess that would be the patch for the rom? Now what should i do next?. a