Extracting translation/english files from GBA roms

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by XswordcraftX, Mar 2, 2010.

1. XswordcraftX
    OP

Newcomer XswordcraftX Advanced Member

Korea, North
    I need help for this. I currently have some GBA roms which were out in english and in japanese. I want to extract the translation/english file from the english rom and fix it for japanese rom so that i can have japanese voice + english translations.

I am not sure if this is possible but i heard there are programmes to extract translations from roms.

Can any1 help me?

Thanks in advance.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There has been a fair amount of work done on GBA sound formats and hacking now, The golden sun work by Atrius is where you want to be looking here. It is by no means as trivial as DS sound hacking is but it is certainly a lot easier than it was had you asked someone this question a couple of years back.

However as you asked:

There is no magic rom hacking program and there never will be until we get something in the AI world.

Text dumping for an English game is usually a lot easier for hackers as they can use language tricks- most common letter is a space, vowel in most words, distance between prospective space characters is usually smaller than 10 characters and almost certainly below 20, three and two letter words are often "joining" words*.
    Other than that the same methods that are used for Japanese games when translating them (find table, find text, dump text, add in characters to rom's font if necessary (most Japanese games will feature a basic Roman characters set), convert text, insert text, change pointers) work here.

*when being extremely lazy often I will run relative search for such joining words as it often uncovers enough of the table to save me a whole heap of time finding it the more traditional ways, indeed it often works even if I have never seen the game run.

For this sort of hacking it is often quite nice as translation is a relatively quick process to do if you cut corners which many companies do. This means vast tracts of the rom will be identical to different regions (they might suffer a shift or three but that is worked around easily enough).

Once that is done it changes a bit- working in reverse to standard hacking methods/trip ups is an interesting problem, things can include:

16 bit Japanese characters vs 8 bit European languages character sets. Padding characters to 16 bits is easy enough if you do not want to hack the Japanese game down to 8 bits character length.

Variable width vs fixed width fonts- to add a variable width font to a game is usually one of the hardest hacks in translation hacking (indeed it is not so nice for many game companies to do when they have source code which is why it sometimes fails to change in translation). This is more of a nicety but it can pose a problem if the Japanese game has text displayed in a given way/size box with limited room per "scene".

Compression is also a possible problem. Most compression tools we have on the DS started out as GBA tools or indeed still are GBA tools.

3. XswordcraftX
    OP

Newcomer XswordcraftX Advanced Member

Korea, North
    I dun really know what you are trying to say...... perhaps im not cut out for all these. Thanks anyway......