Hacking Extracting the VC's Sin & Punishment for use on a real N64

CZroe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Argh. Despite owning a metric fuck-ton of VC titles, I'm a big fan of playing a game on the original platform, especially when control is a concern. Just like Starfox 64, Sin & Punishment: Successor of the Earth is awkward with the Wii Remote + Classic Controller and the standard Gamecube controller or Gamecube Wireless Wavebird Controller. Luckily, I purchased and completed it many years ago on my N64. IGN had a photoshop image translation of the main menu screen, so I was able to explore thoroughly, but the Wii VC version's in-game translated menu is obviously more desirable.

When I want to play through the game or show it to a friend, I always get annoyed that I can't just IPS patch a dump of my real Game Pak to match the Virtual Console one on a real N64. With all the ROM injecting I see on YouTube vids, I can assume that ROM extraction is also possible, correct? You know, similar to loading The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Master Quest" on my N64 using the one extracted from the Gamecube's The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time "Master Quest" Bonus Disc.

If it's possible, I'm sure it's already been done. I downloaded GoodN64 tool and didn't see it in the database, but I doubt that gets updated often (it's hard to check/find the database build date).

Heck, if the changes are minimal, the English menu might be possible to load over the Japanese one using a later-model N64 Gameshark Pro's parallel port (it can effectively load states), but my Bung equipment should serve me well like it usually does.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
harrybuttox said:
I would assume it would work since it is just a plain old rom..give it a try and let us know the results!

it might work if you have the right tools and exquipment. but the VC isnt the same as an N64 rom... VC is .WAD (sure you know that) an N64 is something else (i'm taking a guess that its .N64 beacuase that would follow the patern of all the other roms lol)

so i guess you'd need to convert the rom into an n64 one, change controls because they are programmed as wiimote, classic and gamecube instead of N64 (not sure if thats right or not though), and then have the equipment to shove the game onto a cartridge to play.

i'm only using common sense there so dont blast me if i'm wrong lol

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
It should work, I have played it on PJ64.

1. Get the wad
2. Get WADTool and decrypt it
3. Get this file
4. Extract the *nameofwad*.005.des with extract.exe
5. Open the newly created folder
6. Look for the file "rom"
7. Copy it
8. Play it

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, not quite.

The VC titles are wrapped in a container that includes the bare rom, an emulator, the banner, and the manual, among other things. All controller bindings are part of the emulator, which I imagine could be changed.

The rom itself is supported directly by its respective console and people have been able to inject their own roms into VC titles for this very reason.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
teq said:
Well, not quite.

The VC titles are wrapped in a container that includes the bare rom, an emulator, the banner, and the manual, among other things. All controller bindings are part of the emulator, which I imagine could be changed.

The rom itself is supported directly by its respective console and people have been able to inject their own roms into VC titles for this very reason.

oh yeah... i duh'd that one up lol

i've injected myself so there must be an N64 rom in there somewhere XD my bad.

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Why can't you just play the original, non-VC ROM? Because it has a couple of katakana menu screens?

CZroe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Why not just build a GameCube to N64 adapter?

[url=http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/x2wii/index_en.php]http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/x2wii/index_en.php[/url]
I don't think I'd do all that unless I could get Memory Pak/Rumble Pak/Transfer Pak support.
biggrin.gif
Hell, I wish Nintendo would support the Adaptoid (N64-to-USB adapter with an awesome API used to support all that in PC emulators without simulating a PC gamepad). *sigh* I dream too much.

harrybuttox said:
I would assume it would work since it is just a plain old rom..give it a try and let us know the results!
That's kinda what I need help with.
biggrin.gif

mikeyt1998 said:
harrybuttox said:
I would assume it would work since it is just a plain old rom..give it a try and let us know the results!...i'm taking a guess that its .N64 beacuase that would follow the patern of all the other roms lol...

"V64" and "Z64" are common extentions named for the formats the backup units created them as (Bung Doctor V64 products dumped them as interleaved ROMs, Z64 and others did not).

QUOTE(Whizz @ Jun 7 2008, 07:19 AM)

1. Get the wad
3. Get this file
7. Copy it
8. Play it

Thanks! This is the kinda help I was looking for.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Knocks @ Jun 7 2008, 11:34 AM)
Why can't you just play the original, non-VC ROM? Because it has a couple of katakana menu screens?
Because I have the original Game Pak, I can play the original and have... thoroughly. It's just that, if there is a "more complete" English one available, I may as well use it when I return or fire it up for guests. It's OCD.
wink.gif

I usually have to dump the ROM to one of my Doctor V64jr's anyway to avoid digging up a method to insert it without physically modifying my N64. Rather than load the dump application's ROM and reboot the N64 after it reads the inserted cartridge and over-writes itself with the ROM in the Doctor's DRAM (I just made this sound WAY more complicated than it really is), I could just load the English version in the first place.

So little has changed in this "translation" that I remain confident that it would be able to read and use the original save from the cartridge (usually, executing a different game would save over the inserted cartridge's backup memory if the game did not match).

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
CZroe said:
Because I have the original Game Pak, I can play the original and have... thoroughly. It's just that, if there is a "more complete" English one available, I may as well use it when I return or fire it up for guests. It's OCD.
wink.gif

I usually have to dump the ROM to one of my Doctor V64jr's anyway to avoid digging up a method to insert it without physically modifying my N64. Rather than load the dump application's ROM and reboot the N64 after it reads the inserted cartridge and over-writes itself with the ROM in the Doctor's DRAM (I just made this sound WAY more complicated than it really is), I could just load the English version in the first place.

So little has changed in this "translation" that I remain confident that it would be able to read and use the original save from the cartridge (usually, executing a different game would save over the inserted cartridge's backup memory if the game did not match).

Doesn't the Wii Shop have a warning that games in the "Import" category are in their original, untranslated versions anyway?

CZroe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
CZroe said:
wink.gif

Doesn't the Wii Shop have a warning that games in the "Import" category are in their original, untranslated versions anyway?
They say that the menu was originally translated for an intended US release back in the year 2000. It seems to be the only thing changed from the Japanese release for the VC release (well, that and the default control scheme, which could either be set by the emulator initializing a different value in memory rather than a ROM edit or be a different default mapping to the Classic Controller). The voices were already recorded in English and subtitled in Japanese (Chinese for the iQue release), and they remain so in this release. Nintendo claims that all their VC games aim to perfectly duplicate the original experience, but Animal Crossing, Classic NES Series, and eReader ROMs are used throughout (for example, look at the The Legend of Zelda's copyright dates)! These were sometimes modified extensively and didn't even use the same mapper as the original cartridge (eReader Urban Champion is one example IIRC).

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI the rom is untranslated when you rip it from the US/PAL release, seems the menu translation is done during emulation.

I tried this when the VC first got ripped, oh well
frown.gif

CZroe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bootmonster said:
FYI the rom is untranslated when you rip it from the US/PAL release, seems the menu translation is done during emulation.

I tried this when the VC first got ripped, oh well
frown.gif
Wow. I wonder if it is actually in the original also and can be enabled with a GameShark/Action Replay? We need a memory dump!

Knocks

Trophies
XP
Country
If the VC ROM is, in fact, untranslated, one of the two could be happening:

1) the game might use two ROMs: the original one and a smaller, additional ROM from which it is pulling translated menus--similar to how MAME uses parent/children romsets

or

2) the dump includes a translation patch which the emulator applies on the fly

To play the game translated on the original hardware, you would first need to extract the translation resources from the VC dump and then hack the original ROM and inject the modifications into it.

You probably have a better chance of learning Japanese than doing all that
wink.gif

CZroe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knocks said:
If the VC ROM is, in fact, untranslated, one of the two could be happening:

1) the game might use two ROMs: the original one and a smaller, additional ROM from which it is pulling translated menus--similar to how MAME uses parent/children romsets

or

2) the dump includes a translation patch which the emulator applies on the fly

To play the game translated on the original hardware, you would first need to extract the translation resources from the VC dump and then hack the original ROM and inject the modifications into it.

You probably have a better chance of learning Japanese than doing all that
wink.gif
If it patches the ROM in memory, all it'd take is isolating the patched ROM from a simple memory dump (save state) done while the Wii is executing S&P. If it takes that, I'll have to wait until someone gives me a utility for doing it. If it patches the menu on the fly after the Japanese one is decompressed from the ROM and written to the emulated N64's RAM, then it would involve decompressing the ROM resources... that's something I couldn't do if one of the game-specific N64 compressor/decompressors on Dextrose.com didn't do the trick.

callmebob

The Grandpa of Awe!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just out of the curiosity, I inserted the original rom that I have for use on my Z into the Sin and Punishment wad.

Strangely, it hangs at the classic controller screen. The rom I extracted from the Sin and Punishment wad worked on my Z, though. Just with Japanese text.

Too bad, because it does play way better with the original N64 controller, and I personally don´t want to pay that much for an adapter just for one game. My Z and N64 are still hooked up to my t.v., even though they don´t get used that often nowadays.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

1. Get the wad
3. Get this file
7. Copy it
8. Play it
Anybody have the file that contains the extract.exe file??? (extract.zip) I can't find it anywhere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The ST version honestly looks like they at least tried lol