1. Mrfroggyman

OP Mrfroggyman Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Hi guys,

So I only have a PS3, but I really wanted to play a game that was localized in the west only for the PS4, but is only available in JPN for its PS3 version. Do you think there's a way I could extract the texts and menus from the PS4 version and somehow inject them in the PS3 files? I assume there's a lot of reasons this is actually impossible but I'd blame myself for not even trying...

2. IwearHelmet4Bed

IwearHelmet4Bed Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Could you not make a JPN account, log in with that and buy it digitally?

3. Mrfroggyman

OP Mrfroggyman Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Getting the game aint what's bothersome, but the PS3 version is only 100% JPN and I can't read a single word of japanese, so I was hoping I could somehow translate the PS3 version using the text files from the PS4 version. :unsure:

4. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    It's definitely possible, it mostly depends on how much sweat you are willing to pour.

It could be trivial or it could be a 15 years ordeal like SNES' "Tengai Makyou Zero" unofficial translation...

P.S. what game?

5. Mrfroggyman

OP Mrfroggyman Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    It's Star Ocean 5. Well I have pretty much 0 technical knowledge about that kind of stuff, so the question kinda comes down to "is there an already existing tool" for either extracting texts form PS4 games and one for injecting texts in PS3 games (and I guess it would also need to be converted from PS4 format to PS3 format)

6. MostlyUnharmful

MostlyUnharmful GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    You could probably find some general tools to decompress assets but usually they are tailor made (read: reverse enginered) for specific titles.

You can try asking on https://www.romhacking.net/ or a couple of game modding forums that I forgot the name, but IMHO the chances to find such tool are really small.

7. homuhomu

homuhomu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

English translation already ported from ps4 to ps3. I don't know if it's against the rules to share it here. It's just one file: FAI_main_ps3_LgJPN.cpk

Mrfroggyman likes this.
  8. Mrfroggyman

OP Mrfroggyman Newbie
    Newcomer

France
    Wow dude that's really cool! I searched for it before making this thread and didn't find anything, how (not where) did you find it? Thanks a bunch

9. KalasJunior

KalasJunior Newbie
    Newcomer

Brazil
    There's a game already in US, in the russian site torrent

Last edited by KalasJunior, Feb 17, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Extracting, version, inject