Homebrew Extracting roms out of Virtual Console Titles?

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of custom injections which is what I'm not asking about, but is it possible to extract the roms from installed virtual console games? I wanted to extract Link's Awakening DX since it has some differences from V1.1 on carts. What i mean is, I want to be able to play it on an emulator on the pc for an example.

Last edited by DarthDub,

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm aware of custom injections which is what I'm not asking about, but is it possible to extract the roms from installed virtual console games? I wanted to extract Link's Awakening DX since it has some differences from V1.1 on carts. What i mean is, I want to be able to play it on an emulator on the pc for an example.
It should be possible, try decrypting the installed game and then you'll have to rename one of the files to .gb or .gbc, not sure which one

Pyra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dump the .cia file, decrypt it, and look under /romfs/rom/, there should be a file there

rename that file's extension to the rom extension of whatever type of game it is/what emulator you're running it on (.gb, .nes, etc)

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Reactions: DarthDub

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
dump the .cia file, decrypt it, and look under /romfs/rom/, there should be a file there

rename that file's extension to the rom extension of whatever type of game it is/what emulator you're running it on (.gb, .nes, etc)

What should I use to decrypt it?

teelo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmmm hadn't thought of this. Would be interesting to see what they changed for the Pokemon Yellow ROM and what happens if we try to run it on an emulator.

They've done something to not require Surf to play the Pikachu Surf minigame, but more importantly: something else to support the 3DS's wifi for trading/battling. Could be something that can be injected into romhacks.

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think it's possible to dump the file with GodMode9.

Reactions: DarthDub

Pyra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm hadn't thought of this. Would be interesting to see what they changed for the Pokemon Yellow ROM and what happens if we try to run it on an emulator.

They've done something to not require Surf to play the Pikachu Surf minigame, but more importantly: something else to support the 3DS's wifi for trading/battling. Could be something that can be injected into romhacks.

https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console

from my understanding, they don't actually alter the rom itself, if they can avoid it. instead, they use .patch files to patch the rom without altering the rom itself

though i don't know enough about it to say for sure, it's the impression i get from reading the wiki page. if you were to play the rom in a gb/gbc emulator, i'm sure it would play nearly identical to the original, if not identical

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console

from my understanding, they don't actually alter the rom itself, if they can avoid it. instead, they use .patch files to patch the rom without altering the rom itself

though i don't know enough about it to say for sure, it's the impression i get from reading the wiki page. if you were to play the rom in a gb/gbc emulator, i'm sure it would play nearly identical to the original, if not identical
I can confirm this. Link's Awakening DX has the grandma saying YAHOO instead of the change they made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hoi