Extracting music from NDS roms...

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Harsky, Jan 21, 2007.

Jan 21, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I figured I might as well give it a try in extracting the music from NDS roms. So far, I used SSEQRIP but it only offers the option to convert them to Midi which sounds different from how it was on the NDS. Is there a way to extract the music and still make it sound like the original?

2. squee

Newcomer squee Advanced Member

Germany
  3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    To make a copy of transparent quality can not be done as far as I am aware but I find the newer versions do a worse job than the older ones:
    http://loveemu.yh.land.to/up/old/
    You might want to think about using an emulator, splicing the sound from another rom in if the one you want does not work, and looping the sound back or simply using the headphone port.

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I used the guide for ripping the music from EBA that Squee posted a while ago. But when I used SSEQRIP, they ripped them as STRM which I then used the STRM2WAV to convert them to something listenable. The problem arises when you try the same thing with roms like Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. It rips them as SSEQ which I then had to use the SSEQ2MIDI program to make it listenable. Yeah I know that it does work but the music sounds WAY too different to the original to be satisfactory. Can I use something in VGMTrans to extract the music into something more close to the original?

5. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    No, because the sounds are different. Obviously for a game like EBA 1:1, or close to 1:1 sound formats are needed, and you can re-rip them. However, the music for most games is sequenced and played through the DS Hardware. When these sequences are played through your PC's Sound card/whatever interprets the instruments in the file they will sound very different.

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I followed this guide:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44850

And music that resulted out of it was like what I heard in the DS version. Thought people might like to know. Obviously, when I tried to extract the music from Elite Beat Agents, you get a ton of songs that have been broken up so they can reuse the chorus etc to save cart space. Anyways, the result is a sound quality that's like the DS instead of the tinny MIDI format. I managed to extract some of the music from Trauma Center and it was nice. A bit pointless since there are sites dedicated to song rips but at least it will be handy when I want to get some songs from NDS roms for my phone.