External translations and video time. A little idea i am playing with.

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Auryn, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Auryn
    OP

Auryn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    Because I see so many games that got only a menu translation, because I noticed that I like the hack more than translate, because I messed around many games and made many discoveries that will probably never be used, I am playing with the idea to record myself (maybe with commentary) when i hack and try to find new things in a games and publish that in youtube. This part of my idea would maybe help many newbies to learn / see things better as only with words / tutorials.
    The second part would be that if i get a more or less clean script dump, to publish it somewhere online but outside the translation scene. I was more thinking of fansubs sites, series fan sites, (japanese) schools for students that need the exercise or so.
    If a script would get a translation and somebody feel to start a project with that material, he can do it, the only thing i request is credits for the dump / discoveries in the videos.

Before everybody spams this thread with request of games to process, I will tell you that if i do this, it will not start before fall or end of the year and probably start with my own projects before I will open to suggestions for other games. Naturally this can be limited to the NDS but it can be expanded to other systems (PSX being one of them because of my projects there).

My questions here are:
    -do you think this is a good idea?? Yes or no and why??
    -would you prefer have only part 1 (the videos) or part 2 (the dumps) but not both parts??
    -do you have any good site to suggest where publish the script dumps to be translated??
    -other ideas (no games requests thanks)

2. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012
    I'd be extremely interested in the idea, especially how you search for the precise arm routine text printing routine with breakpoints and the like, and subtly tweak it for your needs. I'd love to try doing something like the Sigma Harmonics text orientation hack (for Momotaro Katsugeki), and probably like the work you did with Gyakuten Kenji 2 3rd line of text. And for the PSX games that would be extremely cool to know where to find the file table instead of having just to edit one huge bulk of data.
    Also btw that video about the tbl searching method using naming screens was very very useful for me :lol: .

As for the reasons, such tutorials (not really tutorials per se but just watching dissecting a game) are not that frequent and it seems very useful and educating, if only for the reasoning behind regardless for the tools and / or system.

About your idea for using help from the fansubbing community it's pretty good actually and would help a huge lot: I remember the example of an anime fan-subbing group actually attempting Death Note DS L back in 2009 and then gave up citing technical difficulties even though their lack of skill on the hacking side is obviously the only problem (even then the images and font are standard font, the text could be easily viewed with a custom tbl assigning 2 bytes of Shift-JIS chars + one extra byte like in bgm files in Nintendo games, I could easily see even myself doing it if I am more advanced in pointers / Japanese)... So yes I think the interest in the fansubbing scene is present
    Something like the VN wikias posting text dump translations (but more controlled and closed sites since these wikis tend to be... chaotic)

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I have considered some video things in the past and a few of the mario ? hackers have done similar things in years past which was quite interesting (even if the methods they used were more "here is how I do things*" rather than what was done and why, that would not be so bad but the methods are frequently lacking in a lot of logic -- obligatory XKCD http://xkcd.com/763/ ). Likewise several occasions when writing my docs would have seriously benefited from video (trying to describe OAM handling would be the major one -- words can say a lot but watching the OAM hex readout move in time with the screen is far more poignant) and I even have a videos saved up for when I properly port it to HTML.
    My main reservation.... if you have ever seen me detail a format for someone in a kind of stream of conciousness method and the 30 failed attempts at something before I figure it out might not make for that compelling viewing. In video watching me shuffle the hex window length back and forth and delete prior/header so I can make a crude array of sorts, firing off byte flips, fiddling with boolean logic, fiddling with maths in a spreadsheet or worst of all just staring at the hex and hoping a pattern jumps out would be worse. However it is the basic methodology I see most of us use when hacking and it is a valuable one -- failures are just as import (see also "show your working") and "bam, bam, bam -- this is how it is done" is equally troubling (I watch quite a few video tutorials for various things and frequently have to step by step pause things or jump by 5 seconds ten times in a row).

*My favourite was I think it was a GBA sappy audio hack tutorial (probably golden sun related) I watched once where someone used a tile editor to correct a header/pointer rather than bust out a hex editor. Other favourites are more subtle and usually involve me "looking over the shoulder" hacker senses being tripped when they cut to desktop and there sits a paid version of Norton, mcafee and one more all installed.

Text dumps themselves are technically copyrighted but when gamefaqs routinely hosts them you should not be troubled.

In general though make sure you edit them tightly (be utterly ruthless/strict, something I see a lot of youtubers have serious trouble with) and I can see it working.

Suggestions... though I did nothing with it I always liked my "thread of a thousand ROM hacks idea" and will still pull apart random games when I am bored. Beyond that some of my favourite episodes of http://www.eevblog.com/episodes/ are when he tears "random" things apart.

4. Auryn
    OP

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    Well, i don't know how indeep i want to go here but we will see.
    I think many times the newbies just need to see what something look like and less tracing or things like that.

By the way Ghanmi: secret and far away from clear
    Just as another example of my "messing around" :P

GHANMI likes this.
  5. StorMyu

StorMyu "I'm too old for this"

Jan 2, 2010
    France
    Done by Nagato a loooooong time ago.

[​IMG]

6. Auryn
    OP

Jul 21, 2011
    Swaziland
    I knew that video would makes big waves :P
    Nagato sure spended more than 2-3 hours looking at that game (as i did) :)

7. joesteve1914

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Yes this is a good idea!