external HDD question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by XxHTOWNUTZxX, May 31, 2010.

May 31, 2010

external HDD question by XxHTOWNUTZxX at 8:56 AM (1,013 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. XxHTOWNUTZxX
    OP

Newcomer XxHTOWNUTZxX Newbie

United States
    well first off i'm new to this usb loader stuff so please bare with me.o k i have a softmodded wii and have been burning all my games with no problems. i just bought a external HDD to avoid having to burn discs and my question is how do i set it up? its a 1TB Seagate Expansion model:ST310005EXA101-RK...I know its not in the compatability list here but it was on sale for $80 so i decided to give it a shot. Here are some other questions i have besides how to set it up:

1.1TB is alot of space and dont plan on having that many wii games on it...so is it possible to use it as game storage for my wii and also as media storage for my pc(ex.movies,music,photos)if so please let me know how.

2.Can i download game files to the external HDD and unrar them there because im low on pc memeory and i wanted to download a 200gb file directly to the external HDD if possible?

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.Thank you!

2. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    1. you can either partition it and format 1 partition to wbfs or format it to fat32 and convert your iso's to .wbfs files.

2. if its formated to wbfs then your computer wont reconise it and wont work. shouldnt be a problem with fat32 partition

3. XxHTOWNUTZxX
    OP

Newcomer XxHTOWNUTZxX Newbie

United States
    ok so your saying that to be able to download directly to it i need format it to fat32 correct? so then what do i need to convert all the isos i download? i changed my mind about using it for pc storage sounds kinda complicated and im not that tech saavy.also how do i set it up to be used on the wii?which programs do i need ? do i need to create a folder for each game?

4. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
  5. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if i were u i would do what i did, have a partition for wbfs and have the rest as ntfs for your regular stuff, the wbfs being for wii games

6. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    FAT32 won't work, it won't allow a 200gb file.

You'll need to use NTFS. No need to use WBFS at all, just format the whole drive to use NTFS and you'll be good to go. You'll be unable to install games through the loader though, you'll have to do it via pc.

The other alternative is to split it (500gb fat32, 500gb ntfs) and use fat for the wii and ntfs for pc.