External HDD not connecting to TV

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Ethevion, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I've been trying to get my external HDD to connect to my TV so I can watch movies, but every time I try it doesn't work.

My TV is A Samsung LN40D550K1FXZC that I got in 2010 (or was it 2011 :unsure:) and my external hdd is a Western Digital My Passport 1TB.

When I plug the hdd into my tv, the light on turns on, but the tv says nothing is connected. I've tried NTSC and FAT32 formats, with different types of video files (.avi, .mp4, and .mkv). I did some searching online and found that the USB port from the TV might not be able to supply enough power to a 1TB hdd, but I'm not sure if that's my problem. Any ideas?

2. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Can your tv even play movies? It could just be for pics and music.

3. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada

Yes, the manual says it can play many different video types, including the ones I posted above.

4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Ive heard that a lot of the older (yes i am aware that 2010 is only 3 years ago) Samsung smart TVs had tons of problems like this. I dont really know what to tell you, other than maybe try contacting support?

5. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    It isn't a smart TV though, just a regular LCD HDTV. I might actually try to contact support. Might be my best bet.

6. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Oh... I just assumed... I had no idea dumb tvs can do stuff like that naively. Cool. And good luck.

7. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    That's probably why it's not working, it's too dumb

Coltonamore and BortzANATOR like this.
  8. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    If you cant get it working if all fails you can pick up a $50 android mini pc and give it an education/ stream from the device.
    Not much help but just a last resort type of deal.

9. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I was thinking of trying a USB hub with ac power or just get a thumb drive and play a movie at a time. No need for the storage to be huge anyways if I'm just gonna use it to watch movies. I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.

10. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    It does look like your TV supports wireless streaming unless I read it wrong?
    I know my TV has a LAN port that allows you to connect to networks, it's not a smart TV and works like shit.

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-A..._Internet_Media_Streamers&hash=item58a09f6ebf

Bonuses with that is that it can do streaming as well as emulation and android gaming. Though there are higher spec ones for $100

I gave up on using streaming functions on TV and just use my 360 anymore Just because a lot are a bitch when it comes to file formats :P

11. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Hmmm, I have an old samsung TV, and I can use it without any problems. However, make sure if there are any USB ports that has more power (look in the manual), because on our new TV (also a Samsung) there's a special USB port for HDD's. Gives more power, while the ones with less power only works with USB memory sticks.

Soo, try a memory stick...

12. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Wouldn't I need an android device for that though or can it stream from a PC?

13. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Nope, it is a android devive just in the shape of a flash drive, you can download programs like xbmc and stream from your pc, watch some youtube reviews on it.

14. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Seems like the cheapest way. Just get an 8 GB stick and load the movie I want. I'm leaning towards it right now.

Oh cool, I'm definitely going to look it up. It might be worth it if I decide to go beyond videos.

15. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Though I'd suggest getting one around $100s since they have faster processors/GPUs.

16. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    I'd have to be sure that I'm going to use it at that price. Still, I'm going to look it up when I get home.

17. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Here a good review for yeah

18. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Thanks dude, I'll watch it once I get home. No sound at work.

19. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    The USB port on the TV might not be outputting enough power. That AC adapter might do it.
    The HDD start to spin, or is it only the light?

20. Ethevion
    OP

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    When I touch the HDD it's vibrating, but not as much as when plugged into my PC. The light is on as well. Would it be a good idea to get a USB hub that's AC powered or just get a thumb drive?