External HDD issues, need assistance please!

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by copperteeth, Oct 5, 2010.

Oct 5, 2010
  1. copperteeth
    OP

Newcomer copperteeth Newbie

United States
    EDIT
    I ssue solved!

read down for the answer!

been playing over an hour and no spin downs yet, there must have been a fix for spin down in the cIOS or the actual GX Loader itself

Issue: Hard drive "Spins-Down" after drive inactivity for a set period of time when playing my legal backups from the external HDD This causes the game to lockup/freeze when it goes to access it again.
    Seems it was an issue that many people had before but as of lately i cannot find any recent things about it.

I used ModMii To mod my wii, guide found here:

ModMii for Windows
    Version 4.2.9
    Formerly Known As NUS Auto Downloader
    by XFlak

First attempt, tried the loader that came with ModMii, Configurable USB loader, the default one didn't work, although after a few min of testing, it seemed the CFG-222 version worked flawlessly, but i have yet to test for more than 20 - 25 min, old spin down time was 10 min tops, an improvement id say

First Trouble
    Go to play animal crossing and get about 10 or 20 min into it, go to load a new scene, game freezes on load screen and lost all my progress.
    Tried to play smash brothers brawl, after the match was over ad after viewing the match summary, it tried to load the character selection screen and froze.
    New SMB, the game would either freeze at displaying the world 1-1 screen, or you would get into world 1-1, after about 3 min the music would stop and the game would become unresponsive and your character would continue to respond to the button presses at the point the game froze, becoming unplayable

The fix that I Discovered was to use GX Loader and launching the games under Hermies cIOS 222 v5.

Things to know to try and replicate my results:
    Using a 3.5in hard drive pulled from a dell, seagate 7200.7 80gig in a usb 2.0 enclosure
    runs on its own power source
    Enclosure is a cheap china made Do Data Systems ATA/SATA hard drive enclosure
    plugging into USB jack closest to the edge of the wii the whole time
    Using GX Launcher r938 (as of October 5th 2010) booting launcher with waninkoko cIOS 249 and booting games with Hermies cIOS 222 v5 (stated many times already)
    Games are stored on WBFS, could not get GX Launcher to boot with Hermies 222v5 which supports fat32 as GX Launcher only supports v4, booting with v5 gives a code dump.
    Ran a ScanDisk on the HDD under windows to ensure drive integrity

I hope this information helps someone in the future

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    its a problem specific to your hard drive, I know for western digitals you can install WD software and turn the sleep-timer off. There may be something similar to your drive

...wow, i must be in a good mood cuz i even googled it for u too... maybe its cuz I appreciate your well worded error report above [​IMG]

it seems your not the only person with sleep timer problems with that drive..
    source

I'm not sure if one of the downloads on the seagate website will help u make the change to your hard drive, but here's a link to their download page

3. copperteeth
    OP

United States
    Im not saying your wrong, but listed HERE its listed that my 80gig should work. Its not a seagate FreeAgent drive. I probably could "fix" the problem using sdparm with linux, as mentioned but its going to take probably 2 weeks before i have the time to sit down and install nix on a spare hdd.

Do you know enough about GX Launcher to know weather or not it corrects the issue? I seen on the google code page HERE one of the members suggested there was a fix with cIOS r13, but does the software correct this issue?

4. XFlak

Canada
    i actually read that before I posted that... but it says it was taken out of a desktop pc, so i'm sure if there was a sleep timer on it it woulda already been turned off.

the usb loader shouldn't make a difference... but u can try

5. copperteeth
    OP

United States
    maybe i should have specified in my original post, this drive IS out of a desktop pc, an old dell to be exact, its not a retail oem drive. it was working prior to being taken out. Im not using any programs on the pc to get the backups onto the hdd, so that part about WBFS Manager 3.0 is irrelevant to me. I will test GX launcher tomorrow and see if it works better than configurable usb loader, although i have my doubts. if that doesn't work looks like ill have to do sdparm to fix it. I tried using sdparm for windows (there is a verson for windows) but im not doing something right. If you want to try it out yourself it can be found HERE

if i could also ask for something off topic, what cIOS does ModMii install for my own refrence? and what base ios are they all using?

6. XFlak

Canada
    Good luck... I usually just stick to using the drives that come highly recommended... so I've never had to do this much work to get a sleep timer turned off

here's the cioss modmii recommends, but it is capable of downloading a lot more
    202v5-57
    222v5-38
    223v4-37+38
    224v5-57
    249v19-57
    250v19-38

7. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I've had to reset the sleep time on my Seagates a couple of times. You can use the Seatools or whatever (there are 2 similar tools they offer, only one did the trick), or just burn a live cd image (or usb) distro designed for disk work.

Also, just for the hell of it, try the 222-version of CFG, you can get it on the update screen.

8. KiiNG

Member KiiNG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What enclosure are you using? There's more problems with the enclosures than the drives.

FWIW, I've had to adjust spin down settings on so many Seagate drives I gave up on them, and stick with WD drives now. I've used these tools on this thread in the past. Some were internal barracuda's just like yours.. try them all to see if it works.

9. copperteeth
    OP

United States
    the enclosure is a cheap one i just picked up for the purpose of having an external enclosure. its made in china, Do data systems its called lol.

If someone could provide the name of the program for seagate drives and a link i would appreciate it, i use seatools a fair ammount because the drive tests are pretty good but ive never seen anything on it about sleep timer or anything of that sort.

10. copperteeth
    OP

United States
    Issue solved, thanks everyone for the help

Im using GX Loader, newest version while launching backups with cIOS 222, should also mention CFG-222 also is working without spindowns so the problem must be waninkoko's cIOS has no spin down fix, probably because its such a broad issue with so many variables that there was no point to try and address it.

again, thanks everyone who helped with some suggestions