tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey hi Tempers!

So my "problem" or question really, I'm looking to buy an external HDD for use with my Wii and 360 (which WILL be JTAG'd eventually) I've found 3 portables that I like the look of and are pretty cheap (I think) what I need are your opinians on the drives and whether or not they will work well with both the Wii and 360.

So link time
yay.gif

Seagate Expansion 500GB Portable Hard Drive

WD Elements Portable Hard Drive - 500GB Black

Buffalo MiniStation Lite 500GB Portable Hard Drive with TurboPC Hi-Speed USB - Retail Red

My personal preference, I like the Buffalo. Any advic eyou guys/gals can give is appreciated!

Also I put this here because it's for use with the Wii AND 360 and I doubt I could post it in both sections and get away unscathed however this may backfire if the people with the knowledge don't check this area much
rofl.gif

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
A little on the small side for 2 consoles. No idea about the Wii, but the X360 needs the drive to be FAT32.

I can get away with FAT32 on the Wii aswell (I think) if not I'm sure a partition would work out.
As for them being small? I don't think they are, I don't really play many Wii games so I don't have a need for that side to be huge and as for 360 it'll most likely be the single player only games and I'm sure there won't be hundreds of those that I want to play xD

The other thing really is price I don't want to spend a whole lot more than £50 I mean I have found HDD's that are like 1TB for around £50 but they're not powered via USB, would one of those work on a 360/Wii?
Some Examples:

Fujitsu Storagebird 1TB External Hard Drive Hi Speed USB

Seagate 1TB External desktop Hard Drive Hi Speed USB

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I own iOmega 500GB (Price was about £50 in store when I got it) and it's not powered by USB and it works perfectly fine on Wii's.

Not suggesting, just telling you it works if it's not powered that way :3

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
i currently have a lacie petite 320 gb external harddrive on my xbox, don't like it since dlc and stuff won't work so i'm saving up for a 500 gb harddrive, and i have already ordered a xbox harddrive case
also some older games won't save properly.. or act stupid :\

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nico445 said:
i currently have a lacie petite 320 gb external harddrive on my xbox, don't like it since dlc and stuff won't work so i'm saving up for a 500 gb harddrive, and i have already ordered a xbox harddrive case
also some older games won't save properly.. or act stupid :\

Why won't the DLC work? and is a 360 HDD case essential?

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
don't know exactly... God containers also won't work so you have to extract the games.
there are also some cable converters i think. but the case is on dealextreme like 9 dollars so i rather have that then to have a loose laptop harddrive next to my xbox
tongue.gif

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nico445 said:
don't know exactly... God containers also won't work so you have to extract the games.
there are also some cable converters i think. but the case is on dealextreme like 9 dollars so i rather have that then to have a loose laptop harddrive next to my xbox
tongue.gif

Well if it's not essential I won't bother with a 360 HDD case
rofl2.gif
....wait I won't botherwith one away because I'll be using on my Wii aswell
rofl.gif

edit: anymore advice is still appreciated

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All DLC has to be run from the internal drive, that's where games will look for it. If you want XBLA/ GOD to appear in NXE (without creating a quickboot for every single one) they too need to be on the internal drive. XBLA/ GOD/ Rips can be stored on an external drive if you are fine with them just showing up in XeXMenu/ FSD and not NXE.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
All DLC has to be run from the internal drive, that's where games will look for it. If you want XBLA/ GOD to appear in NXE (without creating a quickboot for every single one) they too need to be on the internal drive. XBLA/ GOD/ Rips can be stored on an external drive if you are fine with them just showing up in XeXMenu/ FSD and not NXE.

-_- What's a GOD rip in 360 terms?

I don't mind if I have to run things from a different menu other than the nxe menu.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Game On Demand. A full retail game downloaded from XBOX Live, ISO image coverted using ISO2GOD, or a retail disc installed through NXE to the HDD and then run through NXE2GOD so it no longer needs the disc inserted to launch.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
Game On Demand. A full retail game downloaded from XBOX Live, ISO image coverted using ISO2GOD, or a retail disc installed through NXE to the HDD and then run through NXE2GOD so it no longer needs the disc inserted to launch.

Ahh okay, and these are runnable from an external via XeXmenu or FSD?

Apart from that all I need to know now is whether one of those 2 1TB standalone drives will work on the 360?

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DarkWay said:
Ahh okay, and these are runnable from an external via XeXmenu or FSD?

Apart from that all I need to know now is whether one of those 2 1TB standalone drives will work on the 360?
All except DLC, yes. You need to create a "Games" directory and place the games in there. FSD2 will need to be manually configure to look in that directory, XeXMenu shouldn't. Any FAT32 drive will work for those purposes, inlcuding 1TB drives. The 4GB file size limit isn't an issue.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So DLC cannot be loaded from an external HDD? (just getting this completely clear)
If not it probably really doesn't matter for single player games anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: