Hacking External Harddrive Questions

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
I just bought a external hardrive but I use a Mac computer not Winodws, so im not not able to format my USB external drive to FAT32?

Or am I ?

Also could I use a windows computer to format it to FAT32 and then plug back into my MAC to put games on it, well not necessarily just put on usb but use WBM but I know that, or does it not work like that at all?


I just need alittle help! arg



ohmy.gif
 

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
643
Trophies
0
XP
132
Country
United States
Can't you just use bootcamp then use Linux or another free operating system then format it to fat32 using that also you should be able to use fat32 on your mac. Disk Utility is also a great way if your unwilling to use bootcamp I'll go find a link. Eh you'll find it.
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
Rasas said:
Can't you just use bootcamp then use Linux or another free operating system then format it to fat32 also there should be a application for mac that lets you format it to fat. I'll look for it.

What is bootcamp?

And if I can format it on a mac, id love to find a guide or a way to do it just so i can finally play different games on my wii haha been playing SSBB for like 3 days now haha.
 

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
646
Trophies
0
XP
167
Country
Canada
Been a while since I've used OSX, but unless Steve Jobs pulled it out in a fit of rage the OSX Disk Utility (Applications->Utilities) should be able to format an external drive to FAT32. I believe that it is referred to as "MS-DOS File System" or something similar. Keep in mind that when you format the drive, you will lose all data stored on the drive.

-Happy Holidays! []D
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
Been a while since I've used OSX, but unless Steve Jobs pulled it out in a fit of rage the OSX Disk Utility (Applications->Utilities) should be able to format an external drive to FAT32. I believe that it is referred to as "MS-DOS File System" or something similar. Keep in mind that when you format the drive, you will lose all data stored on the drive.

-Happy Holidays! []D

Okay! Omg I just did that and I changed it to MS-DOS, you were correct
smile.gif

Thanks.

But now after it is formatted, I need a program like WBM so does anyone possibly know a program I could use with MAC OSX.

I have downloaded WBFS for MAC but idk if this works anyone know?
 

Y05h1

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
157
Trophies
0
XP
108
Country
Finland
I tried it, and it works for managing the content of a hard drive that has already been formatted as WBFS. So it won't actually format it for you. But that can easily be done using the Wii, with something like USB loader GX.
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
Y05h1 said:
I tried it, and it works for managing the content of a hard drive that has already been formatted as WBFS. So it won't actually format it for you. But that can easily be done using the Wii, with something like USB loader GX.

So I cant use it to put downloaded games on and then unplug and plug into my wii and play? I dont understand, thats all i wanna do, is play downloaded games off my usb external hardrive. Just wondering am I gonna have to use a windows computer or can I use my Mac?
 

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
646
Trophies
0
XP
167
Country
Canada
liop4q said:
Okay! Omg I just did that and I changed it to MS-DOS, you were correct
smile.gif

Thanks.

But now after it is formatted, I need a program like WBM so does anyone possibly know a program I could use with MAC OSX.

I have downloaded WBFS for MAC but idk if this works anyone know?
If you want to keep the drive formatted as FAT32 and not convert it to WBFS the only utility that I know that could work for you is Wiimms IOS Tools. It's command line based, but with it you can convert the game file images you acquire into the WBFS file format and then just drag them into the WBFS file folder on your FAT32 formatted drive. The only manager for WBFS formatted drives that works on MACs is WBFS for MAC OS-X, but it is old and it has a wonky format function.

A good resource for you to read is the Complete SoftMOD Guide. It has a great section on WBFS, MAC OSX, and Game Managers.

Y05h1 said:
I tried it, and it works for managing the content of a hard drive that has already been formatted as WBFS. So it won't actually format it for you. But that can easily be done using the Wii, with something like USB loader GX.
liop4q said:
QUOTE(Y05h1 @ Dec 18 2010, 04:00 PM)
I tried it, and it works for managing the content of a hard drive that has already been formatted as WBFS. So it won't actually format it for you. But that can easily be done using the Wii, with something like USB loader GX.

So I cant use it to put downloaded games on and then unplug and plug into my wii and play? I dont understand, thats all i wanna do, is play downloaded games off my usb external hardrive. Just wondering am I gonna have to use a windows computer or can I use my Mac?
What Y05h1 is saying is that WBFS for MAC OS-X is great for transferring games on your MAC to a WBFS formatted drive, but it is not good for actually formatting a drive to WBFS. To format your drive to WBFS, just plug it into your Wii and use the format option that is in your USB Loader software of choice.

-Happy Holidays! []D
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
liop4q said:
Okay! Omg I just did that and I changed it to MS-DOS, you were correct
smile.gif

Thanks.

But now after it is formatted, I need a program like WBM so does anyone possibly know a program I could use with MAC OSX.

I have downloaded WBFS for MAC but idk if this works anyone know?
If you want to keep the drive formatted as FAT32 and not convert it to WBFS the only utility that I know that could work for you is Wiimms IOS Tools. It's command line based, but with it you can convert the game file images you acquire into the WBFS file format and then just drag them into the WBFS file folder on your FAT32 formatted drive. The only manager for WBFS formatted drives that works on MACs is WBFS for MAC OS-X, but it is old and it has a wonky format function.

A good resource for you to read is the Complete SoftMOD Guide. It has a great section on WBFS, MAC OSX, and Game Managers.

-Happy Holidays! []D

So what your trying to say is just use a windows computer? Haha.

Because wonky format function doesnt sound good haha.

Also if im using a windows computer what software do I use to unzip files cause on MAC i use unrarx....
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
I added to my post above in response to your later posts. Please re-visit it for clarification.

-Happy Holidays! []D

Okay sorry sir I didnt see that you had edit'd your post! So I can still download games and just drop and drag into WFBS for MAC and then go back to my wii and play the game?
Or after I download the games do I have to make them a certain file?

Or do I have to download any files?
 

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
643
Trophies
0
XP
132
Country
United States
WBFS isn't always the best method Fat32 makes it easier and viable for use for other things. Also WBFS can only store 500 games while Fat32 can store more and be used for other things. WBFS is also the only thing that can be used for certain older backup loaders but is not worth it. Also some people have their WBFS harddrive corrupt on them upon putting on 50 games as well as it is harder to recover data on a WBFS harddrive.
 

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
646
Trophies
0
XP
167
Country
Canada
liop4q said:
Okay sorry sir I didnt see that you had edit'd your post! So I can still download games and just drop and drag into WFBS for MAC and then go back to my wii and play the game?
Or after I download the games do I have to make them a certain file?

Or do I have to download any files?
No need for "Sirs" but it is appreciated
smile.gif


You do need to get the games one way or another. You have a few options to think over. The best thing is to do some reading on USB Loading. Again, the Complete SoftMOD Guide is a great resource. The gist of your option is do you want to keep your drive formatted as FAT32 or do you want to convert it to a WBFS format. WBFS formatted drives allow you to save game to it using a WBFS Manager and have the benefits of keeping game sizes down, having no 4GB file size limit, but not being a format that MACs and PCs can natively see. FAT32 formatted drives can be seen by MACs and PCs, can accept WBFS files to keep game sizes down, but if your game is larger than 4GB in size it will be split into two files.

Either way, FAT32 or WBFS, you will easily be able to add games to your drive. If you choose WBFS, you will use the WBFS for MAC OS-X manager to save the games, usually found in ISO format, to your drive. If you choose FAT32, you will use the Wiimms software to convert the games to WBFS files and just drag them into a folder named WBFS on your drive.

Hope all that is clear...

-Happy Holidays! []D
 

liop4q

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
79
Trophies
0
XP
2
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
liop4q said:
Okay sorry sir I didnt see that you had edit'd your post! So I can still download games and just drop and drag into WFBS for MAC and then go back to my wii and play the game?
Or after I download the games do I have to make them a certain file?

Or do I have to download any files?
No need for "Sirs" but it is appreciated
smile.gif


You do need to get the games one way or another. You have a few options to think over. The best thing is to do some reading on USB Loading. Again, the Complete SoftMOD Guide is a great resource. The gist of your option is do you want to keep your drive formatted as FAT32 or do you want to convert it to a WBFS format. WBFS formatted drives allow you to save game to it using a WBFS Manager and have the benefits of keeping game sizes down, having no 4GB file size limit, but not being a format that MACs and PCs can natively see. FAT32 formatted drives can be seen by MACs and PCs, can accept WBFS files to keep game sizes down, but if your game is larger than 4GB in size it will be split into two files.

Either way, FAT32 or WBFS, you will easily be able to add games to your drive. If you choose WBFS, you will use the WBFS for MAC OS-X manager to save the games, usually found in ISO format, to your drive. If you choose FAT32, you will use the Wiimms software to convert the games to WBFS files and just drag them into a folder named WBFS on your drive.

Hope all that is clear...

-Happy Holidays! []D


Okay im kinda understanding. Which do you prefer FAT32? Clearly seems a better choice... haha.
But what do you mean by "just drag them into a folder named WBFS on your drive"

So I download Wiimms software and convert the games and then it makes a folder that I then transfer to another folder named WBFS?

QUOTE(Rasas @ Dec 18 2010, 04:24 PM)
WBFS isn't always the best method Fat32 makes it easier and viable for use for other things. Also WBFS can only store 500 games while Fat32 can store more and be used for other things. WBFS is also the only thing that can be used for certain older backup loaders but is not worth it. Also some people have their WBFS harddrive corrupt on them upon putting on 50 games as well as it is harder to recover data on a WBFS harddrive.

Okay so then I guess i will go with FAT32 way hopefully I can figure all this out before the night is over im really trying to play some more games! And arg ya idk if I want my hardrive to corrupt on me haha.
 

coxxy8

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Messages
23
Trophies
0
XP
73
Country
United States
I use WBFS and have for a long time. I have about 270 games on a hard drive and we play them all the time without issue! I think with a MAC your only issue is the initial formatting of the drive but you can do that on the wii with a loader.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://imgur.com/gallery/kUTOYMV