Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I figured I'd wait with the purchase of a brand new computer and use this old thing for another year or so. Problem is it only has a 60 GB HD and I need some new storage really bad. I figured an external hard disk drive would be the most easy, cheap and hasslefree option. Thing is, my computer is really old, 5 years old to be exact, so it's slow too. Few questions.

- What would the best option be, USB or firewire?
- Speedwise, is it the same as an internal HD? Let's say I'm downloading a 20MB file onto the drive, would it take as long as downloading it onto the internal drive?
- How does the computer recognizes the drive? Like an actual HD or like a mass storage device?

Thanks!

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
USB is the most standard, and you should have plenty of USB ports.
External drives are slower than internal, but a 20MB file would still transfer very fast.
A mass storage device, it will show up in My Computer in the Hard Disk Drives section

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why go with USB/Firewire?

Get a Network drive... MyBook World Edition from Seagate.

Comes in 500Gig and 1Tera models. Connect to power, and your router, and enjoy from any system that's connected to your network, be it wired or wireless!

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could also find out what type of HD you have and upgrade the internal one... if you really do want a External HD, check of your computer has Firewire (better speed) if not go with USB (better compatibility).

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since its an old computer, it might not have USB 2.0 ports(do you know if it does?)... so I would go with firewire.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter if its usb/fw

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks so far!

Salamantis said:
You could also find out what type of HD you have and upgrade the internal one... if you really do want a External HD, check of your computer has Firewire 800 (fast fast fast) if not go with USB.
I'm guessing IDE, definately not SATA. Thing is I only found an 130GB drive for 80 bucks. While the external drives are starting at €60 at 320GB. If I could find an IDE drive at that price with that capacity I'd be all over it.
fischju said:
USB is the most standard, and you should have plenty of USB ports.
External drives are slower than internal, but a 20MB file would still transfer very fast.
A mass storage device, it will show up in My Computer in the Hard Disk Drives section
Thanks! So, let's up that filesize to a GB or 2. How would that compare to the internal drive?
zidane_genome said:
Why go with USB/Firewire?

Get a Network drive... MyBook World Edition from Seagate.

Comes in 500Gig and 1Tera models. Connect to power, and your router, and enjoy from any system that's connected to your network, be it wired or wireless!
Hmm... After a bit of searching I found the cheapest model to be €120. Is a wired connection faster than USB?
QUOTE(Linkiboy @ Jul 18 2008, 11:42 PM)
Since its an old computer, it might not have USB 2.0 ports(do you know if it does?)... so I would go with firewire.

Otherwise it doesn't really matter if its usb/fw
2.0! Guess I'll go with USB since it's the most common.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use my drive on a wireless laptop, and my xbox (wired)... I created different folders on the root (you can't partition the drive), and can copy a 700MB movie in about 5 minutes from wireless (that's while downloading in uTorrent as well)... so I'm guessing the transfer rate is pretty high (about 2MByte/sec)

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Sc4rFac3d said:
Salamantis said:
You could also find out what type of HD you have and upgrade the internal one... if you really do want a External HD, check of your computer has Firewire 800 (fast fast fast) if not go with USB.
I'm guessing IDE, definately not SATA. Thing is I only found an 130GB drive for 80 bucks. While the external drives are starting at €60 at 320GB. If I could find an IDE drive at that price with that capacity I'd be all over it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136110

Sc4rFac3d

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
chuckstudios said:
Sc4rFac3d said:
Salamantis said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136110
They don't ship outside US.
frown.gif

Edit - A friend just showed me a website that ships over here. Guess I'll go with that. Thanks for the help everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol