Extending Battery Life

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by xCuteBunnyx, May 20, 2008.

May 20, 2008

Extending Battery Life by xCuteBunnyx at 5:30 AM (1,986 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

Member xCuteBunnyx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey,
    I'm looking for something to extend the battery life of the DS. Like, no a new battery since I don't know how to work a screwdriver and my battery is fine(bought DS in early Feb). But I might go on a trip this summer which includes a very long plane ride. And I use my DS a lot, have homebrews and stuff on it. So, they would suck up more battery life(flashcart). Is there anything to extend it(10 hours?)? Something that doesn't make in bulky and something that can be put in my purse and not make it bulky? And I have small hands, so I'm not sure if the charger grip would work(charger grip is ugly though).

Thanks!

2. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The obvious thing is to turn the backlight down as low as it will go. Your DS should be able to handle 14 hours of continuous operation with the backlight at its lowest setting, using a modern flashcard.

...many planes have jacks to plug things into, you know. So there's a good chance that this isn't an issue.

3. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    lol, i do put the backlight down to the lowest. I rarely use it on 2 =). Always at 0.
    and I'm not sure if the place I'm going to has the same plugs as USA.
    Lol, I'm basically just asking if their is a good battery life extender. I would love one.
    Do you know where I can buy this? http://www.dsfanboy.com/2006/08/11/ds-lite-external-battery/

4. MysteriousCookie

Newcomer MysteriousCookie Advanced Member

Australia
  5. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
  6. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    O, thanks.
    It says 50 and 210 minutes o.O. Just wondering, how many more hours do you get from it? Say you have a red light....

EDIT:Wait, nvm, didnt read that part clearly.
    Does anyone have one that gives longer battery life o.O.

7. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    That one is battery-based.

I see others on DealExtreme that are 12,000 mAh but you need a PSP AC Adapter to charge them, so although it's fine for trips and stuff, if you're on-the-go to a friends house and such (Although it can be argued that you can just charge your DS in this case), it's one more plug to hold up. :/

8. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Im thinking about getting this one from E-Bay for my DS Phat.. Any thoughts??

url wont work, the one that pyrofyr suggested..

Never mind, does not come with an AC charger, must use PSP adapter.. damn [​IMG]

9. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Are these batteries decent? They look alright, but they aren't exactly manufactured by Nintendo I believe..I had some very bad experiences with third party batteries in the past. Leaking, exploding, over heating, breaking down and stop working and in some cases, messing up the device it was used in. So before I go buying one and having it blow the fuses in my DS or have it leak battery acid all inside it, has anyone actually bought one and tested out for extended periods of time?

I don't think Nintendo's warranty cover damage by third party hardware or additions.

10. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
  11. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can't twist your wrist?

12. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Now we'll wait for solar-panel chargers to save battery money.

13. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you have a good hand for electronics, and know how to strip wires, it's really not hard at all to create your own that is rechargable (Should also use something similar, like a 12,000 mAh battery or whatnot, you can even get a spare battery like an old one)

I'll try and google around some more and see if I can find a nice rechargable one, if I can I'll link it.

Edit:
    HOLY CRAP! Seems you can have this one charge from either USB 'OR' from PSP (Making it not the 'best', but still pretty good) and it's 18,800 mAh
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12690

If the wikipedia stats are correct and the (1000 mAh) battery the NDS ships with lasts around 15~18 hours on a full (3hour) charge.

I'm too lazy to do the exact math, but that's at least one extra charge in there.
    (I don't dab in circuitry too much rly)

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
  15. meowmeow

Newcomer meowmeow Newbie

United States
    Those "18800" mah batterys really arent that large...
    Theyre somewhere in the 3000 mah range and if you take them apart its actually two seperate rechargeable batteries and two pieces of random metal to make it seem heavier...

16. xCuteBunnyx
    OP

United States
    o.O thats pretty cool.
    if I get it i'll just use the USB thingy : ), since i'm too lazy to get a psp charger+ it cost more money.

I prefer the battery one, but its only 210 max. Does anyone know a link to any other battery one? Also does anyone know if this one is good and how long would this be? http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Battery-Ex...654&sr=8-18

Thanks.

17. sn0wfish

Member sn0wfish GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Those are some useful products i see.. Never had a problem with the battery life, but external batteries are nice to have o.o

18. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    if you read, it's supposed to fully charge the DS 4 times(tough review says 2)
    that means it's officially capable of powering your DS for about 40 hours, if you put it in power saving(low volume, no wireless stuff, no backlight)
    but you will need to buy batteries for it.
    how long it lasts also depends on the quality of the batteries you put in(if you bring spare batteries you can drastically increase the time it lasts)