Exploader NOR Save Data

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by whoaboy, Jul 7, 2008.

Jul 7, 2008

Exploader NOR Save Data by whoaboy at 2:53 AM (2,682 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. whoaboy
    OP

Newcomer whoaboy Newbie

United States
    Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I searched but didn't find an answer to this question so I was hoping someone might have a definitive answer for me.

I have a DS with a R4 and an EZV 3in1. I normally play the games directly from the SD card on my R4 using GBA ExpLoader and obviously when a GBA game saves data it saves it to the SD card. However I was curious how the save data works when playing a game written to NOR memory? I would assume that it writes the save data to NOR memory just as if it were a genuine GBA card, so then how do I copy the save data back from NOR memory onto the SD card so I can continue to play from where I left off without having to continue to play from NOR memory?

Thanks guys!

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    The saves from both NOR and PSRAM mode are stored in the 3-in-1's SRAM, because slot 1 cannot be accessed in GBA mode.

The save for the last game run from PSRAM is written to the save file on the slot 1 cart the next time you start GBA ExpLoader. The save from the game in NOR is only automatically written to the file when you flash a different game to NOR, but you can do it manually by pressing B in NOR mode.

3. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    Exactly where is the save data for PSRAM mode saved? Is it saved on SRAM? Because with GBA Backup Tool and any other GBA save extracter it only sees or extracts the NOR save, how does the EZV manage to keep the two save files separate, and where does it write their names cause ExpLoader never recognizes the ROM on the EZV it only recognizes the name of the save file.

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    From the readme:
    The 3-in-1 defaults to the part of the SRAM that is used for the game in NOR (that's why it's used for NOR mode; the games would write the save data there anyway if you didn't start them from GBA ExpLoader). Any app that isn't programmed specifically for accessing the 3-in-1's SRAM will only be able to access the first 64KB of this area. When you run a game from PSRAM GBA ExpLoader sets the SRAM to the appropriate area before loading the save data into it.

If you need to get at the data in some particular part of the SRAM, just dump the whole thing to SRAM.BIN and open it in a hex editor to get the part you need.

5. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I've been puzzled by this for a long time, it's one of those can't-sleep-at-night-must-know things. Thanks A LOT.

6. whoaboy
    OP

Newcomer whoaboy Newbie

United States
    Thanks Destructobot for the excellent response!