Hacking Explanation of some Nintendont settings?

R1SKbreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I use Nintendont thru USB Loader GX. Should I go into the Nintendont app from the Homebrew Channel and download the controller.zip, or is that included in USB Loader GX? I have a few questions clarifying some Nintendont settings also. For settings file, I can set it to no change, create, or delete. What does this mean exactly?

Is it possible to have settings specific to a certain game? For instance, Mega Man X Collection wouldn't display the bottom half of the screen, but just did when I booted it without Force Progressive on. So I'd like to have force progressive on for everything else except when I boot MMX Collection. I'm thinking that might be related to the settings file I asked about above this. Which, btw, on the Nintendont compatibility thread, this game is listed as having no problems.

Video deflicker: What does this do exactly? Does it cause poossible emulation problems if I enable it?

USB-HiD device: I understand I need this on if I use the GameCube controller adapter for Wii U. I don't have that yet, but if I turned it on now, would that cause any other problems?

R1SKbreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I think I just answered one of those questions myself. I see each game has it's own settings, with the option use global. So for this game I'd change the progressive part and leave the rest.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I recommend launching Nintendont itself via the homebrew channel or a channel forwarder rather than going through a USB loader.

USB-HID device is a setting that doesn't exist anymore. It detects USB controllers.

R1SKbreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why? It seems to work great in USB Loader GX. I've tested a bunch of my games with no issues. Since you can change the settings to each individual game, I'd say it's superior to loading it directly from Nintendont. Looks nicer too.

I understand what the HiD device does. I know I need it on for that GCN adapter and if I want to use a PS4 controller. My question was if it has any downsides to having it on even if I'm not utilizing it. Though I just tested it with no issues, and it must not be a problem if it's not even a choice in Nintendont anymore. So I guess that answers that.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless your a heavy tester then all the settings are useless except for Memory Card Emulation, Force Widescreen/Wii U Widesceen, and Force Progressive

HID toggle has been completely removed from Nintendont, it does NOTHING in gx now.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recommend launching Nintendont itself via the homebrew channel or a channel forwarder rather than going through a USB loader.

USB-HID device is a setting that doesn't exist anymore. It detects USB controllers.

Eh, Nintendon-t isn't designed to be a front-end game launcher, it's actually designed as a back-end to USB loaders, like Devolution is was

R1SKbreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what should I leave that settings file on then? No change? I don't understand that setting at all really. I suppose I'll leave deflicker off then.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what should I leave that settings file on then? No change? I don't understand that setting at all really. I suppose I'll leave deflicker off then.

Yeah, leave that off, it doesn't noticeably affect gameplay at all

Basically, if you don't know what a setting does, ask about it, and if you think it's useful, try turning it on. If that setting breaks a game, then make an exception for it in the per-game settings. If it breaks a majority of your games, leave it off in global settings and use per-game settings to test/set games that aren't affected

Reactions: R1SKbreaker

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Actually, the HID setting still have a use in USBLoaderGX.
So, I'll try to answer your questions.

• Settings>Loader settings>Setting file : Create, Delete, no change.
Since r98 (loong time ago) Nintendont can use two different method to auto-boot games : reading a file located on SD/USB which contains the path to the game to boot and the settings to use, or reading the configuration directly from memory.

If you choose to "create" the config file even if since r98 the loader is sending the settings by memory.
The advantage to create the config file (stored on root of SD or USB : nincfg.bin) is that it memorize the last used settings and the last launched game.
If the file is present, nintendont will load it at launch if you launch nintendont from HBC instead of USBLoaderGX. It will read the settings and see that you want to "autoboot last played game".

If you create the config, you can quickly launch last played game by launching nintendont directly from HBC without going to USBLoaderGX !

Create = it creates the config file (alowing quick launch from HBC->nintendont)
Delete = it always deletes any existing config files (preventing quick launch from HBC->nintendont)
Don't change = Doesn't replace or delete existing config file (Allowing default settings or game to be launched from HBC->nintendont but being able to play different games when launched from USBLoaderGX).

Best choice for newbie : Don't change. it won't create/delete/replace any file.

• Video deflicker: Remove anti-aliasing effect (blur effect) to make the picture more clear, but more edgy.

• Controller.zip is not downloaded from USBLoaderGX.
You need to do it manually, or from Nintendont menu (B -> Download -> controller)

• You can have per-game settings if you use USBLoaderGX, which nintendont doesn't provide.

• since Nintendont 3.304, HID setting is not used by Nintendont. The HID option is ALWAYS enabled by nintendont.
If you use a version older than 304, HID setting is needed !
if you use a version from 304 or newer, HID setting is ... depend what you want.

since r3.304, Nintendont has pre-defined internal controller.ini files (inside the boot.dol), but maybe you don't like the default button mapping.
In that case, if you have a controller.ini (or /controllers/ folder with the ini inside), nintendont WILL USE the controller files instead of the internal default mapping.
Enabling or disabling HID-USB Setting inside USBLoaderGX will not affect the fact that nintendont is now ALWAYS enabling it.

But USBLoaderGX is using that setting for other things : while you are still in USBloaderGX it's checking if you enabled HID.
If HID option is enabled, it checks if you have the controller.ini file present on the "Game partition".
If you have the controller.ini only on the boot.dol partition and try to launch a game located on a different partition, then USBLoaderGX will copy the controller.ini for you to the proper partition !

So, since r3.304, enabling HID is useful only if you want to use custom controller.ini to be sure it's correctly "propagated" to the partition where your game is located.
Keeping that setting Enabled if you already have the controller.ini on both SD and USB is not needed and will slow the game launching process.
It's better to keep it OFF when using r3.304+ but the option is still there to check and copy the file if needed by the user, AND if the user is using an old version of nintendont !

The loader allows setting different version of the loader per-game.
One game could use r3.319 and the other 3.304 etc.
HID setting is useful if you use older version.

Note: I will release USBLoaderGX r1244 which will stop telling the user that HID require controller.ini when detecting 3.304+

• Tuning HID-USB ON on (very) old version of nintendont will cause problem.
very old version used either HID or Gamecube controller.
Now it's multiplexing every possible controllers at the same time.
You can have Gamecube controller + HID USB controller + Bluetooth controller all at the same time.
Connecting a new controller will set it as player 2, player3 or player4 depending on already connected/powered controllers.

You might also want to set "MaxPAD" setting to 4 if you often play 4 players games.

Reactions: MetoMeto

RazGAWD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you ever get the injects to launch? I just get a screen saying to generate a ninconfig file from sd card when loading games from injects

Fladulator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did you ever get the injects to launch? I just get a screen saying to generate a ninconfig file from sd card when loading games from injects

In case you didn't find out yet:

Put your SD card into your PC, open TecoMoon's Injector Script and right above GameCube Retail click on SD Card Menu. There you gotta go with your settings (most important is to mark MemoryCard emulation --> set it up to 251 blocks). After you chose your settings click on create config file above. It will create your nincfg file in your SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs