Hacking Experiment using FuSa in 2021 with Composite cables

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!
I'm new around and this forum was very helpful some years ago and wish to contribute, even if it is very a minor thing.

Since we are in 2021, all the vocabulary and things about plugins and PSP homebrews that was taken for granted 10 years ago seem outdated today for a newcomer. It is harder to understand all this new information. So I started from scratch to try to understand step by step. I thought some people might face the same issues...

I wish we can help each other to use the best potential out of those composite cables and the FuSa plugin or a better option you could share in this thread! Your knowledge might be very helpful to many!

--
Update: My experience was done using a PSP-2001 model.

I recently acquired (2 days ago) composite (rca: red, white and yellow) cables for PSP.
For those who have those, it's pretty useless except if you like seeing your PSP menu on your old television OR play Playstation 1 games flawlessly! But emulators and PSP games are impossible to launch... I was very deceived by such limitations.

I found my way on the website of the FuSa SD plug-in. It's very obscure to find any clear updated information on how it can be used with the most updated custom firmware. A lot of comments on the website seem to say the same thing: "Please, can you do an update for 6.60 PRO / ME ?" But the most recent info is from 2014.

Yesterday in the evening, back from work, I decided to use the previous version of FuSa SD, because the 'newest one' crashed my games and I couldn't interact with the plugin at all.
So instead of FuSa_SD_v1.0.50 , I used FuSa_SD_1.0.48b.

My results come from using a Temporary Custom Firmware: 6.60 PRO C2

From now, what I managed to do at best was to play the Snes Emulator named: s9xTYLmecm.

Files used in my experiment:

-Temporary Custom firmware : (ex. 6.60 PRO C2)
-older FuSa SD plugin : (ex. FuSa_SD_1.0.48b )
-The Snes emulator: (ex. s9xTYLmecm)

Steps explained in details for a total beginner (like me):

0. Check if you have something planned for the next hour or two.
Then, disconnect your COMPOSITE CABLE from your PSP, but keep those on the TV connected.

1. Do a backup of your memory stick, then format PSP memory stick to give a fresh start.
2. Connect PSP to USB to your computer. And choose USB CONNECT on your PSP MENU and press "X" button.
3. On your computer, get into the PSP Memory stick. Create folder "seplugins" and add your FuSa_SD plugin (prx file + game.txt file)
4. Go back to the 'root' of the memory stick and then into folder "PSP" then "GAME" folder.
5. Copy your Temporary Custom Firmware folder + the Snes emulator folder (s9xTYLmecm) with a game rom or two into this GAME folder of the PSP.
6. When the transfer is done. Disconnect USB.
7. In your PSP menu, go to the Games section and check in Memory Stick to launch your Temporary Custom Firmware (ex. PROUPDATE)
8. Follow the steps and your PSP will reboot by itself.
9. Then, back in your PSP menu, press SELECT button. A "PRO VSH MENU" menu will appear.
10. Use ARROWS keys to go to "Recovery Menu" and press X button.
11. You will be in "PRO RECOVERY MENU", use ARROWS key to choose PLUGINS and press X button.
12. You should see "FuSa_SD.prx [GAME]". It might be Enabled or Disabled. In any case, switch it once or twice and leave it at "Enabled".
13. Choose "Back" and then choose "RESET VSH", press X.
14. It will reboot the interface, then you'll be back to the PSP Menu.

15. Almost there! Drink some water because we tend to forget...

16. Launch Snes Emulator.
17. Make your way to the ROM folder, or the place you copied them before.
18. Launch the ROM by pressing "O" button.
19. Let the game start.
20. Then, this is the moment: Press and hold the VOLUME UP (+) button and press and hold the VOLUME DOWN (-) button.
21. Wow, hope this works for you. You should see the menu of FuSa.

22. Then this is really the moment: Connect your COMPOSITE CABLES on your PSP Entertainment SYSTEM.
23. Choose on the FuSa menu: "Switch to TV" and press "X" button.
24. Now it should work, but the sound might be... and the game speed too slow. You want it to work almost flawlessly.

25. So, do again VOLUME UP + VOLUME DOWN. And in this menu, you want FuSa's Priority somewhere between 85-99% and the Minimal FPS (frame-per-second) to be around 26 FPS. And choose EXIT MENU with "X" button.
26. At this point, try to find the Sweet spot. First, I prefer to fix the Minimal FPS at 26, then, change percent by percent, the FuSa's priority. Listen carefully to the sound of the game, it tells a lot if you're getting closer to the sweet spot.

27. That's it. Hope you can enjoy the snes emulator!

--

Last edited by benone,

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello :)
I wish we can help each other to use the best potential out of those composite cables and the FuSa plugin or a better option you could share in this thread
Then you won't mind if I report my humble experience.

I recently acquired (2 days ago) composite (rca: red, white and yellow) cables for PSP.
I see. The same one I have too; cheap and effective, at least for me.

it's pretty useless except if you like seeing your PSP menu on your old television OR play Playstation 1 games flawlessly
Regarding psx games, I completely agree; in fact I play them on tv often, happily and with satisfaction.

But emulators and PSP games are impossible to launch...
Here, however, I no longer follow you. You say that, in your case, the image is not projected on the TV screen. How come? They work fine for me, both 8/16bit emulators and PSP games, without using that fusa plugin; the only flaw is that they don't fill the screen completely, but a small black border remains. Why don't they work for you? What model of PSP do you have? Maybe it depends on that. I use a PSP 3004 cfw 6.60 pro C2.

Now it should work, but the sound might be... and the game speed too slow
Again, in my case, without needing this plugin, psx, psp and emulated games work at full speed and with full frames.
Greetings:wink:

Reactions: Tarmfot

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
YotiReal, thanks for this. I think I tried it, but I guess I'll retry because I probably I mixed it up with the original FuSa.
Hope it could work. But probably it does only on ME custom firmware since both are made by Neur0n. If somebody knows before me, please say so!

NikoKaro, thanks a lot for sharing! You are right, I forgot to say which PSP model I do have. I'll update it.
I have a PSP-2001 with the same Custom firmware as you 6.60 Pro C-2.

I believe other PSP-200x had issues like I did from what i've found on forums or comments.

Thanks both of you for your words.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I believe other PSP-200x had issues like I did from what i've found on forums or comments.
So, according to you, the problem only affects this model..:unsure:...interesting...:unsure:..I wonder why...:unsure:
I was completely unaware of this fact.

Hopefully others will participate in this discussion bringing their experiences, and give us some explanation on this fact, if they have any.
I will follow this thread with interest.

P.S. I just now noticed that you had opened another thread almost identical to this one in another forum: a smart move but I don't know if and how legitimate (allowed), but...let's not tell anyone...:wink:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Read the manual. It has separate sections for 2000 and 3000.
Sure. There is some brief description there, but no full explanation.
Why would psx games work and PSP not? For what reason?
What is the technical explanation?
And then why, with the first model it was all ok, the second one got worse and lost in compatibility, finally the third one became fully compatible again?
I'm curious about the topic, and almost can not sleep at night....
:rofl2:

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello!

I gave a try with Neur0n's FuSa plug-in YotiReal mentionned.

With this plugin version, PSP games are running, but the biggest issue is that graphics are corrupted.
The intro video of a game runs well, but when it comes to the 'in-game' content I get these kind of images. The issue is the same using 6.60 PRO C-2 and 6.60 ME custom firmwares. Example with Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the lions.
FuSa_Kai-on-PSP2001-660PROC.jpg

Back with the older FuSa version I mentionned in the beginning of this thread, I tried again with the same game. I can play the game after I found the right FuSa's priority % and FPS, but if I leave a menu for another in-game interface, the games crashes. Example: From 'title screen' to 'load game' screen, leaving 'Roster' menu for the world map, etc...

Last edited by benone,

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like not so much is needed to take away those graphical errors, because Neur0n's plug-in makes PSP games run fine.
And the older one doesn't make graphical errors but crashes between game interfaces-scenes.

I am not used at programming so much, but I am interested to get into the code of that plug-in and do my own tests.

Last edited by benone,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I am not used at programming so much, but I am interested to get into the code of that plug-in and do my own tests.

Since you didn't quote me, I don't know if you are addressing me.
Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge about it, and I can't help you.
If you have programming knowledge try to search the source code of that plugin via Google. :unsure:

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nikokaro, I was meant for anybody, so it included you indirectly!
I know it might be a naive initiative, but I prefer trying instead of waiting and doing nothing.

Anybody could tell me if a PRX file is a compiled file or it can be edited as well?
I managed to open it with an Hexadecimal editor, but I'm still in the fog. I just want to make sure I use the right editor. I opened the file with Notepadqq on Linux but I don't have much clues yet. Still searching on my free time.

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If anybody wants to tell us about this New NID problem with newer kernels, I'm really interested to hear about this in details.

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, my conclusion is that if you want to use Composite cables (Red, white and yellow) cables for PSP, it won't be a good idea if you want a to play with a PSP-200x model. You'll be deceived like me, because you can't do that much even using FuSa. On 3000 models, it seems to run fine, according to Nikokaro's testimonial.

Today's situation is that newer kernels of the official PSP firmware made the situation much more complicated to bypass these issues. And also, I believe that most people are not really interested in this issue anymore.

feel free to add info even if it is 10 years later!
thanks for sharing, it was an interesting adventure.

Last edited by benone,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On 3000 models, it seems to run fine, according to Nikokaro's testimonial.
Yes, I reiterate that with the PSP 3000 you can play PSP games by connecting to the TV (in my case, using a simple AV/RCA cable + extension ) but unfortunately the image does not fully fill the screen (about 5/6).
Since pictures are more eloquent than words:
1629643615676.jpg
1629643650787.jpg
1629643681195.jpg

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: Eleganto

benone

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Nikokaro for your pictures as a proof that these old cables can do the job on a PSP-3000!

The older version of FuSa's plug-in was my only workaround possible to at least play SNES games. Neur0n's plug-in didn't make it fine on my side.

Last edited by benone,
Reactions: Nikokaro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c