Experience Android on your Switch, with the first publicly released version of LineageOS 15.1

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 27, 2019.

1. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    For anybody who wants to know how powerful the switch cpu is in andriod I ran a geekbench test.

Balanced:

Single core: 706
    Multi core: 2062

Quick:

Single core: 1004
    Multi core: 2928

I didn't run performance because I dont want to overclock my switch that much. I tried nividia geforce now and it ran amazingly well. I also tried tvzion (it's an app similar to kodi) and it worked great. Although there were some glitches this is a preatty great first build!

Taleweaver likes this.
  2. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Before I read to many "it's not running well" etc. Just read the known bug list. It's massive. This ISN'T for daily driver at all.

3. LonelyPhantom

LonelyPhantom Golden Wind

Mar 26, 2017
    United States
    Beyond The Sun
    That is awesome about no lag. As for droid apps that can perform touch controls the only one that comes to mind is TinCore, It is powerful but the UI and in general the whole configuration process is terrible.

I had the perfect profile for touch controls via button inputs created once on my old GPD XD, and then they got erased somehow; I was never able to remake the config even after 2-3 years, I cri evri tim =(.

This would be a cool feature to have built into the OS/payload and then TinCore could be avoided entirely.

4. Kaybag182

Kaybag182 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2018
    Australia
    After doing everything for some reason my sd card only has 2gb of space. It’s a 64gb card so I don’t understand.

5. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    It sounds like that you may have flashed the incorrect image or you're viewing the wrong drive. Sometimes your one SD card can appear as multiple devices in Windows after you flash an image too it

6. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    That might be the System Rom. The Bulk of the SD Card is apparently Hidden. No idea how to Access it for right now :(

7. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I'll wait for more bugs to be worked out and maybe even the ability to use the same SD card or boot from USB. I don't like having to swap cards. The SD card slot on the Switch doesn't give me much confidence in its durability. Has anyone tried Netflix on this yet?

EmulateLife likes this.
  8. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Some have and it seems to be locked to 480p currently unless you do some tomfoolery with root

9. Kaybag182

Oct 12, 2018
    Australia
    I did extract the image from the .gz file which I just realised I wasn’t meant to do! Reflashing now and will see if it fixes the issue.

10. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    The input lag on the joycons feels very low, so much better than samsung S9 pie which isn't even among the worse of android. Playing the native Sonic port feels sublime here. Performance switching apps or going to the desktop is a bit janky but games themselves run smooth. Very worth the trouble if you have some android games with controller support or want to use the more advanced emulators or game streaming. Time to get a flip grip for Drastic!

The bulk of the card is treated as internal memory by android, while the exposed Fat32 partition is treated like an external SD card. If you wanted to figure out how to run regular switch CFW, that exposed partition would probably be the one to expand and fill up. You can use a smaller image on your card to free up space to expand the fat32 partition. Not sure if you can get an emunand partition going on top of all that though.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Jul 28, 2019
  11. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I said the same thing about swapping cards almost to a tee yesterday, and got several snarky comments, including that it's silly to not want to swap sd cards and that I was a millenial (which I'm not) anyway I agree with you 100%.

12. ieatpixels

ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Nov 1, 2008
    Half Life 2 running smoothly.

13. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    It sucks that you received those kind of comments. I'd much rather have everything on one card and some sort of dedicated launcher on the Switch menu. Maybe have a setup where we could partition our SD cards so that Android could have a dedicated section.

14. WhoIAm

WhoIAm Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2018
    United States
    FWIW, the SD card module is extremely easy to replace- it’s literally the first thing that comes off after removing the backplate, and before digging in any further. So I personally wouldn’t worry too much about it.

15. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    No answer yet, which is why I am repeating my Question, for others as well who need help with this - How can Users Copy/Transfer Data? When Connecting the USB, it comes up as PI USB to Serial. How do I Access it? Is it something I have to change in TWRP?

16. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    Only way as of now is to use wifi

17. Solitario

Solitario GBAtemp Regular

Feb 18, 2018
    Brazil
    i tried with a micro sd class 4 and it ran very slow the android random crashes .... don't try this with a microSDHC Card - Class 4

18. Kaybag182

Oct 12, 2018
    Australia
    This seems to be it unfortunately. Is there anyway to access the system memory?

19. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    So it requires FTP then? What App for the Android Side would be best?

20. phillyrider807

phillyrider807 GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2009
    United States
    "Wifi file transfer"

The free version on the google store has a file size limit though. But a cracked version isn't hard to find. (Not sure what the rules for talking about android files are on here)

Smoker1 likes this.