1. MushGuy

OP MushGuy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Hello, so I'm currently using incognito_ rcm in my Switch with the original PRODINFO properly backed up. However, I'm planning to restore it to use Exosphere instead along with DNS MITM. How effective is Exosphere nowadays, and how does it work? Does it actually modify the PRODINFO in NAND, or does it just simulate a blanked PRODINFO without actually altering it?

2. wownmnpare

wownmnpare GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would say 50% since there still a chance you'll get ban

3. MushGuy

United States
    Bump. Second opinions, anyone?

4. squee666

squee666 Advanced Tech Pleb

United Kingdom
    exosphere works exactly the same as incognito

it uses the same code base all the way down to the fact that it would softbrick mariko units when enabled until they fixed that issue

its basically the same thing with some fixes
    and the fact you dont need to write to nand to use it

so yeah i dont know how someone can estimate 2 identical things as one being 50% effective

[​IMG]

https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/issues/1317

Last edited by squee666, Apr 24, 2021
    RedHunter and peteruk like this.
  5. MushGuy

United States
    So it works the same as Incognito, but without writing the blanked PRODINFO to NAND like Incognito does, is that right?

6. jajamundo

jajamundo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes!

7. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The timing of when prodinfo is blanked potentially matters. With Incognito it's blanked from before boot because the actual NAND was rewritten, with exosphere NAND is untouched and calls have to be intercepted, but this happens only starting from a certain point in the boot process. It might make absolutely zero difference but the Atmosphere documentation itself marks the feature as "experimental" because it is unknown whether that opening could provide any info to Nintendo.

8. SciresM

SciresM Developer
    Developer

United States
    This is horrifically misleading at best.

Atmosphere explicitly performs blanking before launching any other processes. What you describe has been accounted for, and solved.

It's not marked experimental because it's unknown what it provides to Nintendo. It's marked experimental because I personally think blanking PRODINFO is completely moronic. It's a nuke for a problem better solved by a scalpel.

squee666, peteruk, petspeed and 2 others like this.
  9. MeAndHax

MeAndHax Impolite person with some modding knowledge.

Germany
    And Why do you think it’s better not to blank it completely? I don’t understand...
    I don’t see any disadvantages from blanking it completely; it consists of serial numbers which should be unimportant to an average user

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Just because PRODINFO is blanked doesn't mean all of the console's information is blanked. This is why there is some merits to 90DNS or dns.mitm to block Nintendo traffic because this way prevents all information from reaching Nintendo in the first place.

MeAndHax likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Exosphere, Incognito, effective