Hacking Question ExFAT Vs. FAT32 Where When and Why?? SXOS centric but I would like to know about the ither CFWs too

mikefor20

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I am once again looking for clarification and would like all current information in one place so I can make the best decision. I am contemplating changing the file structure on my SD cards and HDD. Currently I am on ExFAT for my 2TB HDD and my two 64GB mSD (one San disk and one Samsung) I have read lately that the ExFAT driver on the switch is buggy and to expect file corruption if using ExFAT. Switching to FAT32 is worry-some to me because of the dreaded 4GB limit. I am currently running SXOS about 90% of the time and a little Atmo for giggles. I guess I would like to know when each file structure is best, where I can find the best software to format it and why it matters..

So as I understand it, the main issue of ExFAT is that it corrupts when the switch writes or erases data from it but reading is okay. Is this correct?

My 2TB WD Elemental HDD is still on ExFAT. Seeing that I only use it for XCI files (and my PS4 Games as well) do I need to worry about the format? It works well. I use my PC to install games to it and erase things not my Switch. Is corruption an issue at that point?

The SD cards on the other hand do get the switch writing to it whether it's from EmuNAND or when I install NSPs and probably other situations as well.. So they are better off as FAT32 then correct?

What is the best method for formatting SD to FAT32? HDD as well? Allocation table size? I used GUI Formatter and a 32k allocation unit. Is that best case? Best method for ExFAT formatting and allocation unit size as well would be awesome.

As I understand it, optimum is to use GUI FORMATTER to format my mSD cards to FAT32 with a 32k allocation unit and ExFAT is fine with the HDD because the Switch won't write or delete anything from it. That way I dont't have to dick around with Switch Backup Manager and the like. Is that the case?

If not does anyone use the same HDD for the switch and the PS4? How can I do that? Separate partitions?

Also what the best for the other CFWs?

Any input is GREATLY appreciated. If I got something wrong please let me know! And if you don't like SXOS, go away. I don't care about politics. I am loading games off my HDD :P

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
exFAT is where it's at. Sure, there's some super rare bug it has, but I've never run into it, and I don't like having to split files for FAT32. I've been on SX OS since launch, and zero issues with it. Fuck FAT32.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Everything can get corrupted. Easy as that. It is pretty random when you think about it. A lot of people say they have problems with ExFAT, but then again, more people use ExFAT, so it kinda makes sense that more people will have problems with it.

Running ExFAT and never had a problem. Don't know why people get them, to be honest.

Reactions: tbb043

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to be if you run certain software from album and then press home to exit. If you're mostly using piracy, then I doubt you'll ever see it.

Reactions: tbb043

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corruption is possible either way tbh. I've been on FAT32 and got a corruption. The only difference is the drivers. the Exfat driver isn't designed for what it's being used for (not designed for homebrews) . I'd say use exfat if you think it's worth the risk, but personally I still use fat32

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the Exfat driver isn't designed for what it's being used for (not designed for homebrews) .

AFAIK it's because the homebrew is loaded via album and it's not expected to be writing to disk.

If you don't load it from album or the homebrew doesn't write to the sd card, then you should be safe.

It seems to mostly be retroarch that writes to sd.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use usb install to avoid ever needing to put games on your sd card then fat32 has no disadvantages and no risk, unlike exfat

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems to be if you run certain software from album and then press home to exit. If you're mostly using piracy, then I doubt you'll ever see it.

Yeah, and if that's really a problem, you could use a separate card/drive/whatever, one with exfat for xci, one with fat32 for (apparently buggy) homebrew that corrupts on exfat. Yeah a pain switching things out, but it's an option.

Just keep backups of anything you don't want to risk losing, :)

theguyver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using a sandisk 400gb card in my switch. i had issues when i had exfat. Some games would randomly freeze or even close out. My biggest issue was using homebrew. Every so often I would get the back error screen especially when i use retroarch and switch roms. I ended up switching to that card fat32 and havent had any issues. Splitting nsps isnt too bad because its just dropping the nsp in a file and copying the folder to microsd and installing via tinfoil. I rarely use my switch in dock so I also have a tiny usb-c to microsd adapter and connect another 400gb microsd to that. That one is formatted to exfat. I use that for installing nsp and loading xci. My suggestion is if your using a lot of homebrew and get errors i would format any micro sd's that you planning on using in the switch to fat32 and keep your externals at exfat. Hope that makes sense. Some may say otherwise but thats my setup and it works great for me.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat has no risks either. Those are just accidents. Otherwise, there would some kind od warning that this and this will corrupt exfat
Thats just false. The reason nintendo doesnt warn you is that the corruption only happens because of the way homebrew closes. There is a risk with exfat and saying otherwise is knowingly spreading false information.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1