Hacking Question exFat MicroSD boot fails in latest CFW Versions (ChoiDujour update to 5.1.0 done)

risq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i have a serious issue with my current Switch setup: i have updated my 2.0.1 Switch directly to 5.1.0 with ChoiDujour. AutoRCM is activated now. I formated my 200GB MicroSD Card to exFat (on the PC) and could run CFW from it, everything worked fine. But now all newer Packages wont work, since the MicroSD cant be read, it always boots up slowly, then the message is shown, that a Firmware update is needed to read the MicroSD.

What still works: ReiNX Stash Version till 2.2, Hekate 5.x (i guess)
What doesnt work: All Versions of RajNx, All ReiNX Stash from 2.3 and up

Do i miss anything that has changed latetly, so the microSD is no longer readable? Any hints are really appreciated, thx in advance

Last edited by risq,

Pythonimus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bahamas, The
The new versions dont have onboard exFAT drivers? Now we have to patch our NAND?
Im also on 4.1. on older ReiNX with exFAT, and the newer versions are not working for me.

ichibaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont have the exfat license to use the exfat formatted sd card, that's why the system is telling you fo update so it can get that license from nintendo server.

There is this guide to add exfat offline that you can try. Remember to back up your NAND first if you havent already done so yet.

risq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You dont have the exfat license to use the exfat formatted sd card, that's why the system is telling you fo update so it can get that license from nintendo server.

There is this guide to add exfat offline that you can try. Remember to back up your NAND first if you havent already done so yet.

thx for your help. this seems pretty complicated and dangerous.

but how is it possible that my exfat licence is missing?! and why is ReinX 2.2 working with this setup? i have updated to 5.1.0 with ChoiDujourNX (only 2 fuses burned), maybe i can get back to 2.0.1?

Last edited by risq,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
thx for your help. this seems pretty complicated and dangerous.

but how is it possible that my exfat licence is missing?! and why is ReinX 2.2 working with this setup? i have updated to 5.1.0 with ChoiDujourNX (only 2 fuses burned), maybe i can get back to 2.0.1?
One thing you can do is follow the easy guide to updating without burning fuses. You'll need to connect to the network so I suggest initializing the console first if you happen to have a few error logs.

ichibaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has to pay royalty to Microsoft, who owns the exFAT IP, for every console. So to save cost they dont give out the license to the console until someone buy a console and request it, is my conjecture. Anyhow, you dont get to use exFAT until Ninty inject something into your console during the official console update to fully activate the exfat license. It is similar to how games come with DLC built in on day one of release, but you have to purchase a small DLC file that turns out to be a key that unlock the already available built in DLC.

The guide helps you unofficially unlock that license gateway.

Echoing_Mediocrity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has to pay royalty to Microsoft, who owns the exFAT IP, for every console. So to save cost they dont give out the license to the console until someone buy a console and request it, is my conjecture. Anyhow, you dont get to use exFAT until Ninty inject something into your console during the official console update to fully activate the exfat license. It is similar to how games come with DLC built in on day one of release, but you have to purchase a small DLC file that turns out to be a key that unlock the already available built in DLC.

The guide helps you unofficially unlock that license gateway.

The whole royalties thing I believe is true, which is why the Wii forewent DVD movie support, and why the PS3/PS4 has some media types unplayable until you download the actual codec(s) from them. It makes sense, seeing as not everyone who buys a Switch/PS3/PS4/Toaster will even use those features, or notice them missing, so they (Nintendo, Sony, GE, etc.) won't have to (arguably) needlessly pay royalties.

Last edited by Echoing_Mediocrity,

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
I used ChoidujourNX and went from 1.0.0 to 5.X and selected exfat in the install. I have exfat support (never had it before)

risq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thx annson24 and ichibaka, i'm beginning to understand now. just to make clear: there is no way to get from 2.0.1 to 5.1.0 (with ChoiDujourNX) and get the exfat licence?

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
One thing you can do is follow the easy guide to updating without burning fuses. You'll need to connect to the network so I suggest initializing the console first if you happen to have a few error logs.

I guess this is a good thread to ask the question- The point of fuseless updates is so you can restore NAND from an older fw version, correct?

risq

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I used ChoidujourNX and went from 1.0.0 to 5.X and selected exfat in the install. I have exfat support (never had it before)

yes, this is where I don't understand, what did i do wrong with ChoidujourNX ? and why does using ReiNX 2.2 work with exfat for me and no versions after that (or RajNX)

Last edited by risq,

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
yes, this is where I don't understand, what did i do wrong with ChoidujourNX ? and why does using ReiNX 2.2 work with exfat for me and no versions after that (or RajNX)

Dunno because I dont know what you installed or what your steps were, but I can 100% confirm there is no need for the console to "call home", infact i've got the entire domain blocked at the router level :)

As long as you selected the right buttons for exfat (you have to do it a few IIRC), you should end up with a console with exfat support enabled as I have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

false

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
It's not an opinion :)

There is no need to connect to the network to install a new FW that has exfat support.
It is an opinion if you don't back up your statement with factual argument. But, yeah, now it's not. However, what I said was One thing he can do, I did not said The only thing he can do. See the difference? So no matter if there isn't a need to connect to the network, my statement remains true. ;)

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
It is an opinion if you don't back up your statement with factual argument. But, yeah, now it's not. However, what I said was One thing he can do, I did not said The only thing he can do. See the difference? So no matter if there isn't a need to connect to the network, my statement remains true. ;)

Erm, OK "You'll need to connect to the network", that's wrong, he/she doesn't need to. Anyway this is such a non-issue I can't be bothered to argue the point :D

Last edited by charlieb,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
To OP, you'll need to connect to the network if you're going to follow the easy guide to updating without burning fuses.

There, I think that'll be easier to comprehend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over