Homebrew Question exFAT corruption bug - can it happen with NSPs?

PT333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK this can only happen if you exit homebrew from Album applet menu while it's doing I/O stuff. Converting homebrew to NSP format should lower or remove risk since it will be run normally. Or is there anybody who didn't use HB on exFAT and still got their data corrupted?

Largooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
exfat corruption bug seems to appear when you use some homebrew that doesnt pay attention of the fat system (bad programmation)
specially retroarch which seems to be the first cause of exfat corruption
so dont use retrarch until the bug is fixed

Last edited by Largooo,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
exfat corruption bug seems to appear when you use some homebrew that doesnt pay attention off the fat system (bad programmation)
You mean Nintendo to fix their shitty exFAT driver implementation, right?

Reactions: bottmint

bottmint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat corruption bug seems to appear when you use some homebrew that doesnt pay attention off the fat system (bad programmation)
Wanna share what you're smoking? Seems like high quality stuff, judging by the content of your post.

Largooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
You mean Nintendo to fix their shitty exFAT driver implementation, right?

bad exfat driver implementation seems to come from homebrew maker and not from nintendo.

i use exfat since day one with no issue and most exfat corruption seems to appear when people use homebrew. refer to this thread -> [POLL] FAT32 vs. exFAT | issue discussion

and people most used homebrew are emulators as retroarch which seem to be one of the cause of the bug ->
RetroArch thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wanna share what you're smoking? Seems like high quality stuff, judging by the content of your post.

i dont think i need to share what i smoke with you cause you seems to smoke something harder than mine and your brain got now too much damage judging by the content of your post.
maybe you could ask your mom a new brain for christmas B-)

Last edited by Largooo,
Reactions: thaikhoa

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

bad exfat driver implementation seems to come from homebrew maker and not from nintendo.

i use exfat since day one with no issue and most exfat corruption seems to appear when people use homebrew. refer to this thread -> [POLL] FAT32 vs. exFAT | issue discussion

and people most used homebrew are emulators as retroarch which seem to be one of the cause of the bug ->
RetroArch thread.

i dont think i need to share what i smoke with you cause you seems to smoke something harder than mine and your brain got now too much damage judging by the content of your post.
That thread is bs, as your claims as well, true FACTS are other...

bottmint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, dude. You can extrapolate such an elaborate attempt at an insult from such a simple question and opinion. I bow before your almighty logic-a-mahficationings. Lawdy, why did I ever think I could compare to such a lofty intelligence. /s

Largooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
That thread is bs, as your claims as well, true FACTS are other...

you are right facts and only facts !

i give you 2 recent thread with many pages and you give me back a single old post with only 18 comments

and the poll showing 75% people got no problem and 25% of people using howebrew got problem is a fake

ah ah gg ...

hombrew maker may know the architecture of the console, they dont know how ofw works and how an app interract with ! if they could prevent os from read write when their programs runs they could prevent corruption bug.
they actually need to learn more about how the console works specially the os ...

for sure a cave developper with a lack of information know more than nintendo's dev about the os they have created ...

Damn, dude. You can extrapolate such an elaborate attempt at an insult from such a simple question and opinion. I bow before your almighty logic-a-mahficationings. Lawdy, why did I ever think I could compare to such a lofty intelligence. /s
oh sorry maybe a misexplain its not a insult just my opinion :teach:

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Well I use exFAT for bought digital games since day one (and now backups) and no problems at all. Not even one. On the other side, I have another SD in exfat and have been using it with homebrew and all and until now, no issues. I guess luck but, yeah at least in my case, when using NSP`s and original firmware things there are no problems with exFAT until now. Have my Switch since a year and a couple months ago.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Games generally don't write to the SD. Hence why you'll most likely not see any corruption issues with exFAT when using games.
Homebrew often writes to the SD (retroarch for config files, save states, screenshots, etc.) - hence why corruption only seems to appear using homebrew. Kill the application at the wrong time (during write access) and you'll likely caus FS corruption.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
I've been using exfat since it was available to me and the only time I got corruption when I was transferring a file using an sd adapter and the damn thing disconnected while I'm still transferring files. I've been using everything on exfat from homebrews to retroarch to sx os cheats and haven't gotten any issues with it.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are right facts and only facts !

i give you 2 recent thread with many pages and you give me back a single old post with only 18 comments

and the poll showing 75% people got no problem and 25% of people using howebrew got problem is a fake
Youre misunderstanding his claim. The problem does mainly affect homebrew, but from what I can see on that thread thats because nintendos driver can cause issues when homebrew applications close. Its still a bad driver from nintendo and their 'fault', but it wont usually affect normal games because of the way in which they close. This could be totally wrong but thats what ive seen, and it fits with the idea that it is both a bad driver from nintendo and something that only affects homebrew users.

Largooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Games generally don't write to the SD. Hence why you'll most likely not see any corruption issues with exFAT when using games.
Homebrew often writes to the SD (retroarch for config files, save states, screenshots, etc.) - hence why corruption only seems to appear using homebrew. Kill the application at the wrong time (during write access) and you'll likely caus FS corruption.

Youre misunderstanding his claim. The problem does mainly affect homebrew, but from what I can see on that thread thats because nintendos driver can cause issues when homebrew applications close. Its still a bad driver from nintendo and their 'fault', but it wont usually affect normal games because of the way in which they close. This could be totally wrong but thats what ive seen, and it fits with the idea that it is both a bad driver from nintendo and something that only affects homebrew users.

Games generally don't write to the SD but they write in the internal memory.
And which fat system do you think this internal memory use ? exfat !
So corruption problem could appear ... but it doesnt ! why ?
cause games developpers know how to close their app properly

apps and operating system can communicate
but homebrew maker just dont consider this interaction when home button is pushed

if so they could prepare to close files and stop read write process and prevent corruption

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And which fat system do you think this internal memory use ? exfat !

I doubt they are using exFAT in their internal memory. Why would we need to install the exFAT update if it would be using exFAT internally already?
They are presumably using their own Filesystem

EDIT: They are apparently using FAT32 internally:

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Flash_Filesystem

apps and operating system can communicate
but homebrew maker just dont consider this interaction when home button is pushed
if so they could prepare to close files and stop read write process and prevent corruption

Do you just assume that they can or do you have any documentation on this? Maybe you can provide patches to the homebrew developers, then.

Last edited by Localhorst86,

bottmint

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh sorry maybe a misexplain its not a insult just my opinion :teach:

Ohhh... I think I get it now... Blatantly stating someone has brain damage is just an "opinion." Okay, well, in my "opinion", you are grossly misinformed, and an idiot. You clearly have no understanding of how this system works.

Largooo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Ohhh... I think I get it now... Blatantly stating someone has brain damage is just an "opinion." Okay, well, in my "opinion", you are grossly misinformed, and an idiot. You clearly have no understanding of how this system works.

you get it ? sure ? i dont think so ! you dont seem to notice and understand this was irony ...
you know irony ? no ?
probably alzeihmer ...
so for your comprehension lets try something else
if i were you " i would say "You extrapolate" about my opnion :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun