Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Exclusive GBAtemp.net DS-Xtreme Update

New information!

New glimpse of and information on the DS-Xtreme!

dsxpackaging.jpg

We have just received word from our trusted source that they have our preview sample of the DS-Xtreme in hand and we are eagerly anticipating it’s arrival!

We've also been able to get a few things confirmed that you've all been waiting to hear!
  • ROM backup compatibility seems to be absolutely astonishing! Gone are the days of new ROM backups such as Lego Star Wars not running or Castlevania's intro stuttering.
  • The Operating System can already be used using the Stylus of your DS – Yes! It's touch-sensitive! With some very nice features.
  • The Operating System also features the most advanced skinning up to date with a lot of user flexibility.
More news as it comes in, and we can't wait to get our unit in the near future to give you impressions first hand!

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
"The Operating System also features the most advanced skinning up to date with amazing user flexibility here."

I'll believe that when I see it... We have pogoshell
smile.gif

oh and... other than that... it seems like a great card... Tho I guess it won't support GBA. So having any of the other flashcarts might still be better.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think I saw it priced at around £60 or so...

What I'm curious about is the battery life. Now that this doesn't make use of a secondary form of media, it shouldn't end up halving battery life like the current adapter carts do. If it doesn't then, great
biggrin.gif

I still think 512MB is too small though. A 1GB version if they can fit that in would be good.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thinking that other companies will come with their "slot 1" solution there will be some choice, but until those M3/G6/Supercard/EZflash people have something this might be best thing to have , that is if DSlink doesnt work for you.

kobewan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I'm curious about is the battery life. Now that this doesn't make use of a secondary form of media, it shouldn't end up halving battery life like the current adapter carts do. If it doesn't then, great
biggrin.gif

I agree that it should take less battery than current adapters. However, you are misinformed as to just how much battery the current adapters take. I guestimate that they take less than 1-1.5 hours off the batterly life.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right now, it claims it's compatible with everything but... If a game pops up that doesn't work on it, I wonder how good support will be. Will it be as fast as M3's response to new titles or not?

And yeah. Other companies should end up with their own slot 1 solutions too. DSLink sounds good but it still requires some form of patching which again, makes me wonder how good their support is for any future non-working ROMs will be. It won't be good if a new company comes up something new that's good for a while then dies out >_>

I agree that it should take less battery than current adapters. However, you are misinformed as to just how much battery the current adapters take. I guestimate that they take less than 1-1.5 hours off the batterly life.
Well, I actually tested my own M3 cart and a few friends of mine came up with the same results. They all ended up with halving the overall battery time using Flashme and nothing in Slot 1.

ebcubs03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get 10 hours on brightness 3 without a flashcart (super mario 64 DS real), 10 hours on Super mario 64 DS with EZ4. Flashed. Flashed DSes with flash carts hardly take any battery at all.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, everyone seems to have different results as all the previous topics about battery life shows but, my M3 definitely halves battery life. I tested it and recorded the times because I want to know how long I can play my DS on plane journeys
biggrin.gif

So battery life on any new cart will matter to me most. Reason why I bought the DSL really
tongue.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
What has faster processing power, the DS slot or the GBA slot?

GBA slot.

DS games don't require the fast access that GBA games require. In fact it would be quite impossible to play a GBA rom from the DS slot. It would either not work at all or run extremely slow.

L

lastdual

No more waiting for patches/loader updates and having a longer battery life is nice, but I still play my GBA roms quite a bit (and there's SRT:OG2, Yggrda Union, FF5, FF6, Scurge, Pirate Battle, Metal Slug, etc...still on the way), so there's not much point in paying more for a card that doesn't support them. If they get cheaper I guess I can see the appeal.

mecharse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is it just me, or do the posts on this site about the ds-xtreme seem more like adverts than objective news posts? not that i'd suggest gbatemp was receiving any kind of incentive from ds-x, like free flash kits, money or just the right to have an exclusive news post... nope, not suggesting that. not at all.

SlyGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've said it before and I'll say it again: these slot 1 solutions won't be useful until Nintendo starts making more use of the slot 2 port for hardware expansions.

Until that time, slot 1 solutions provide no significant benefit over slot 2 solutions while forcing users to endure significant downsides (namely no GBA support).

throwingks

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintendo-scene.com
XP
Country
United States
Right now, it claims it's compatible with everything but... If a game pops up that doesn't work on it, I wonder how good support will be. Will it be as fast as M3's response to new titles or not?

And yeah. Other companies should end up with their own slot 1 solutions too. DSLink sounds good but it still requires some form of patching which again, makes me wonder how good their support is for any future non-working ROMs will be. It won't be good if a new company comes up something new that's good for a while then dies out >_>

No more waiting for patches/loader updates and having a longer battery life is nice, but I still play my GBA roms quite a bit (and there's SRT:OG2, Yggrda Union, FF5, FF6, Scurge, Pirate Battle, Metal Slug, etc...still on the way), so there's not much point in paying more for a card that doesn't support them. If they get cheaper I guess I can see the appeal.
Which is correct? Do we need to patch or not?

Chanser

:o
Trophies
XP
Country
Monaco
Would like to see that version with a memory card slot, instead of flash memory.
I know we got DS-Link but that requires flashme to play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: butthurt aren't ya? can't stand the truth