Demonika9438 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Retroid Pocket 2 is better and cheaper.

notimp likes this.
  2. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    RK2020 is equally as good and much cheaper. :)

Second joystick is mostly useless at this point (you would use it for mostly PSX games, and a handful of PC ports).

Also, putting the brandname that front and center is a major distractor.

Retroid Pocket 2 (if you can live with the design) > RK2020 > RG351

In everything but fit and finish. Which ususally you dont want with these things yet (screen resolution is still too low, screen size is still not optimal for formerly TV based games).

As an owner of two RK2020s at this point, I have to say though, that those things are much better for pick up and play than smartphone based solutions. :) Dedicated device wins out in many ways.

Last edited by notimp, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    That moment when "up to PS1" (released in 1994) includes the Gamecube (released in 2001). :wacko:
    Even though the Dreamcast came out a few years after the PS1, I'd let that one count, since it launched within the same generation.

Last edited by Axido, Sep 12, 2020
    Deleted User likes this.
  4. Demonika9438

Demonika9438 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Retroid Pocket 2 can do Dreamcast. And you can use moonlight to stream GC era and greater games to it.

pcwizard7 likes this.
  5. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    You probably wanted to quote pcwizard7 here rather than me. The advice is still appreciated... I guess.

6. pcwizard7

pcwizard7 GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    ok let me correct what handheld would people suggest that can do up to Gamecube and Dreamcast

7. Demonika9438

Demonika9438 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    RP2 goes up to dreamcast and can stream games from your pc from steam.
    Anything that can do GC and up, like the OneGX1 or the GPD WinMax is going to be more expensive than a PS5 even.

8. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    Like I said before what we really need is a Snapdragon device with the same form factor as this. Make the resolution of the screen the same as the vita then that covers psp emulation at 2x rendering which would look amazing on a 4 inch screen say. And Dreamcast with redream would be easily playable also 60fps at 2x rendering and would look fantastic on a 960x544 screen. This would also be more than enough for every older console and would also allow you GameCube titles at 1x resolution, which whilst low, would still look fantastic on a screen that size.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even if it was upwards of £250

9. Baromo

Baromo Member
    Newcomer

Belgium
    It looks very interesting for gbc and gba fans!
    Question: is it possible to use shaders on these console?

10. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    Experience with the RK2020 (which uses the same SOC as the RG351, Retroid Pocket 2 uses a better one, but has Android overhead): Yes. If you have direct access to Retroarch (RK2020 and Retroid Pocket 2 have, for the RG351 I dont know).

XBRZ 2 pass shader (0 and 1 pass enabled) works wonders on GBA titles and is (edit: mostly) full speed. Same with Sega CD titles (except the shader looking less good). DC with those two pass shaders on juggs like hell.. ;)

More complex shaders (4 pass or higher) no chance, even on older systems.

But yes - most of them work well.

Last edited by notimp, Sep 15, 2020
    Baromo likes this.
  11. Ophidion

Ophidion Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I just started to look into these retro consoles and there's SO many! I'm always confused by what is the latest and greatest and so far everything tells me that I can just buy a Retroid Pocket 2 and I should be good?

Is this RG351 going to change that?

12. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

I haven't tried the Retroid Pocket 2 but I heard good things and its CPU is more powerful than the RG351 (so more/better emulation). As for the RG351, Anbernic has a good track record with solid hardware and performance should be comparable to the OGA (same CPU).

13. Ophidion

Ophidion Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Sorry, like I said I don't know about all the different machines,what's an OGA?

14. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

it's a retro handheld that's already on the market and has the same CPU as the RG351 and emulates the same consoles. You can try to read/watch reviews and performance of the OGA and if it suits your need, you can purchase it or wait to see how the RG351 performs (it has dual analogs and Anbernic's hardware vs. the OGA's single analog stick and hardware that I haven't tested myself)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Exclusive, upcoming, Anbernic