Exclusive footage of upcoming Anbernic RG351 console

rg351 exclusive banner.jpg

I recently reviewed Anbernic’s latest handheld, the RG350P. It is quite impressive on the hardware design aspect and plays all games I threw at it on the emulators it claims to support. However, these end up at the original PlayStation as it reaches the limits of the JZ4770 CPU. So how about emulating past the PS1 and emulating N64 and dreamcast games, as well as PSP? That’s what’s possible with the RK3326 CPU.

The next generation of these open-source handhelds appear to increasingly adopt this RK3326 CPU, with the Odroid Go Advance (OGA) often cited as the reference. Anbernic’s next device has also been reported to use this CPU but little else is officially known about the device. Today, I am ready to share some exclusive and official footage, as well as pictures, of Anbernic’s next handheld, the RG351:

While the footage and pictures do not show the device in use, my contact told me that it’s a unit that’s close to a retail one, and it seems like the RG351’s design is taking a lot from the RG350P that I reviewed. What’s missing is an HDMI port but that’s not much of a bummer personally as the appeal is mostly on-the-go gaming with these devices. I also notice that there’s only one microSD card slot, which suggests that the device has some sort of internal memory, rather than a dedicated microSD for that (which felt like an odd decision when I reviewed the RG350P and the New PocketGo V2).

I also notice that to adjust the volume, there’s a volume control wheel rather than buttons. This is a plus personally, and also adds some nostalgic flair to it.

rg351 front.jpg

rg351 right.jpg rg351 bottom.jpg

It sports the same button layout as the RG350P and a screen size of 480x320, which is great for GBA games but I’m mostly interested to see how PSP emulation performs on it. My contact is also quick to point out that the RG351 is not an OGA clone. Given Anbernic’s track record in the retro handheld scene, I’m looking forward to what they offer with the RG351’s software and how they set themselves apart from other RK3326 console makers.

rg351 top.jpg

back.jpg

Regarding a release date, no specific one is officially available but my contact said to expect its release to be “close”. But no details about pricing was mentioned.

What do you think of the RG51 so far? What features would you like to see in it?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
RK2020 is equally as good and much cheaper. :)

Second joystick is mostly useless at this point (you would use it for mostly PSX games, and a handful of PC ports).

Also, putting the brandname that front and center is a major distractor.

Retroid Pocket 2 (if you can live with the design) > RK2020 > RG351

In everything but fit and finish. Which ususally you dont want with these things yet (screen resolution is still too low, screen size is still not optimal for formerly TV based games).

As an owner of two RK2020s at this point, I have to say though, that those things are much better for pick up and play than smartphone based solutions. :) Dedicated device wins out in many ways.

Last edited by notimp,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i ve been waiting for a handheld to included everything up to ps1 including dreamcast and gamecube

That moment when "up to PS1" (released in 1994) includes the Gamecube (released in 2001). :wacko:
Even though the Dreamcast came out a few years after the PS1, I'd let that one count, since it launched within the same generation.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: Deleted User

Demonika9438

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That moment when "up to PS1" (released in 1994) includes the Gamecube (released in 2001). :wacko:
Even though the Dreamcast came out a few years after the PS1, I'd let that one count, since it was launched within the same generation.
Retroid Pocket 2 can do Dreamcast. And you can use moonlight to stream GC era and greater games to it.

Reactions: pcwizard7

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Even though the Dreamcast came out a few years after the PS1, I'd let that one count, since it was launched within the same generation.

ok let me correct what handheld would people suggest that can do up to Gamecube and Dreamcast

Demonika9438

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok let me correct what handheld would people suggest that can do up to Gamecube and Dreamcast
RP2 goes up to dreamcast and can stream games from your pc from steam.
Anything that can do GC and up, like the OneGX1 or the GPD WinMax is going to be more expensive than a PS5 even.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Like I said before what we really need is a Snapdragon device with the same form factor as this. Make the resolution of the screen the same as the vita then that covers psp emulation at 2x rendering which would look amazing on a 4 inch screen say. And Dreamcast with redream would be easily playable also 60fps at 2x rendering and would look fantastic on a 960x544 screen. This would also be more than enough for every older console and would also allow you GameCube titles at 1x resolution, which whilst low, would still look fantastic on a screen that size.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, even if it was upwards of £250

Baromo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It looks very interesting for gbc and gba fans!
Question: is it possible to use shaders on these console?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Question: is it possible to use shaders on these console?
Experience with the RK2020 (which uses the same SOC as the RG351, Retroid Pocket 2 uses a better one, but has Android overhead): Yes. If you have direct access to Retroarch (RK2020 and Retroid Pocket 2 have, for the RG351 I dont know).

XBRZ 2 pass shader (0 and 1 pass enabled) works wonders on GBA titles and is (edit: mostly) full speed. Same with Sega CD titles (except the shader looking less good). DC with those two pass shaders on juggs like hell.. ;)

More complex shaders (4 pass or higher) no chance, even on older systems.

But yes - most of them work well.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Baromo

Ophidion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just started to look into these retro consoles and there's SO many! I'm always confused by what is the latest and greatest and so far everything tells me that I can just buy a Retroid Pocket 2 and I should be good?

Is this RG351 going to change that?

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
I just started to look into these retro consoles and there's SO many! I'm always confused by what is the latest and greatest and so far everything tells me that I can just buy a Retroid Pocket 2 and I should be good?

Is this RG351 going to change that?
I haven't tried the Retroid Pocket 2 but I heard good things and its CPU is more powerful than the RG351 (so more/better emulation). As for the RG351, Anbernic has a good track record with solid hardware and performance should be comparable to the OGA (same CPU).

Ophidion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't tried the Retroid Pocket 2 but I heard good things and its CPU is more powerful than the RG351 (so more/better emulation). As for the RG351, Anbernic has a good track record with solid hardware and performance should be comparable to the OGA (same CPU).

Sorry, like I said I don't know about all the different machines,what's an OGA?

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Sorry, like I said I don't know about all the different machines,what's an OGA?
it's a retro handheld that's already on the market and has the same CPU as the RG351 and emulates the same consoles. You can try to read/watch reviews and performance of the OGA and if it suits your need, you can purchase it or wait to see how the RG351 performs (it has dual analogs and Anbernic's hardware vs. the OGA's single analog stick and hardware that I haven't tested myself)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands