Hardware Exchanging thermal paste?

neoxdonut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my fist overheating message today playing Mario galaxy docked 59c? changed the thermal paste today played and whole console feels hot after 20 minutes playing docked. I think the fan in my switch might not be working

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got my fist overheating message today playing Mario galaxy docked 59c? changed the thermal paste today played and whole console feels hot after 20 minutes playing docked. I think the fan in my switch might not be working
While the switch is hot put your face in front of the fan exhaust and try to tell if you can feel air. You can also remove the backplate and see if the fan turns on in demanding games like BoTW

waqster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After replacing the awful thermal paste application by Nintendo with thermal pads and MX-4, I’ve noticed the fan spinning up less, and the console just feels cooler. My idle temps range from 20-25C, and under load playing Crysis in handheld mode, about 42-48C. Absolutely worth doing and it’s so easy. Just be careful with the screws as they are really susceptible to stripping. I did remove the copper shim.

console

I'm fans of Elvira Mistress of the Dark. :-) <3
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I hate cheap thermal paste from all company put lousy thing on them. Because it's OEM things like old school paste is not good.

Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum is doing much better because of more 5 C cooler than Arctic MX-4. Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum price is more than Arctic MX-4.

Both Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum and Arctic MX-4 are very safe to use it. No need to worry about it. :)

I glad that I did order both Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum (Amazon) and Arctic MX-4 (Newegg). My paste from my 7 years old Nvidia Geforce GT 630 video card is not normal anymore went to about 60 C from 30 C - 35 C (do nothing still on desktop) then play game then skyrocket to 103 C when I play SpellForce 3, Starcraft 2 then I have to force to close game down to prevent damage to my video card before hit 105 C will shut down.

I will have to replace old paste to Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum paste would help more. Because video card is make more hotter temperature than CPU cause paste to dry out really fast. I save my Arctic MX-4 for CPU only and Prolimatech Pk-3 Nano Aluminum for video card only (To take extra 5 C cooler down). B-)

Reactions: waqster

neoxdonut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After replacing the awful thermal paste application by Nintendo with thermal pads and MX-4, I’ve noticed the fan spinning up less, and the console just feels cooler. My idle temps range from 20-25C, and under load playing Crysis in handheld mode, about 42-48C. Absolutely worth doing and it’s so easy. Just be careful with the screws as they are really susceptible to stripping. I did remove the copper shim.
Were did you get the thermal pads?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

are you supposed to feel air coming out the top if the switch is 49c when docked? i dont feel any hot air comin out the top so i think the fans might be broken in mine

waqster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Were did you get the thermal pads?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

are you supposed to feel air coming out the top if the switch is 49c when docked? i dont feel any hot air comin out the top so i think the fans might be broken in mine

I’m using the Arctic Cooling Thermal pad, cost me about £7 from eBay for a small square. I put them on the RAM shield, and the metal backplate so that it aligns with the heat pipe.

rs1n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only read through a few posts on the first "page" of this thread... I think people need to think through some of these mods as they do not seem thermodynamically sensible.

1. Keep in mind that thermal pads are NOT as effective as thermal paste in terms of conducting heat. Sometimes the choice is dictated by the size of the gap between two surfaces (i.e. if the gap is too wide, a thermal pad is the better choice as it is just not economical to use a volume-equivalent amount of thermal paste). In one of the videos, I saw a thermal pad being placed between the copper pipe and the APU -- why is thermal paste not being used here?

2. Heat flows from high to low. Unless you've measured the temperature of the heat shield above the RAM chips during operation, and the RAM chips themselves, you could very well be passing heat from the shield onto the RAM chips. This is precisely why the RAM chips do not have any thermal conductive layer connecting them to the heat shield out of factory. While removing the copper shim reduces the amount of heat transferred onto the shield from the APU, you still need to be wary of whether the temperatures of the RAM chips are actually higher than the heat shield after the shim is removed; the thermal paste will likely still create a thermal connection between the CPU and the heat shield unless you are precise enough to isolate the thermal paste from ever touching the heat shield. When you look at other consoles, the RAM chips are connected (via thermal pads) directly to the metal shroud or larger and more massive heat shield -- they are isolated from the heat coming off of any CPU/GPU/APU.

Reactions: hippy dave
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/01/15/nvidia-shield-tv-plex-and-other-apps-not-working-after-android-...