Exactly how big are the solder points?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by imgod22222, Mar 12, 2007.

Mar 12, 2007
  1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Can anyone give me an exact (or very, very close) measurement of the surface of all x number of soldering points? I just got a soldering iron and i want to practice by replicating small points about that size and applying solder before I open my wii. Can anyone tell me how many points I should be prepared to be and how big they are? (Dimensions in mm please) I got puny wire (from a USB cable) so i think i'm good there. I plan to make a serial port in the back like Scorpei did.

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think you'll be surprised at how small if you're thinking USB wire is "puny". Pick up some 30AWG from radio shack and you'll see just how small that wire is.

The small points easily fit within the bounds of the 1mm markings on a ruler.

Just from my experience, the small tip point on the 15w iron from Radio Shack isn't small enough for comfort for me. I got a nice tiny tip for a Tenma 25w iron and that's making things go much easier.

3. ciama81

Member ciama81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if the wire was flexible enough, it's possible you could floss with it.

4. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Where'd you buy the tip from? Lowes/HomeDepot or online?

5. smid

Newcomer smid Advanced Member

Japan
    Someone here said the points are about the same size as the tip of a ballpoint pen. I soldered my wiikey yesterday and I'd say that is a pretty accurate comparison.

6. Hooya

United States
    Neither... My University has a shop in the engineering department that sells this kind of stuff to students, so I can get a lot of things there that are better than what radio shack has to offer (or the same for slightly less).

7. alucard77

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How far is the disance between these point? I have soldered point 1mm across before with a magnifying lense. It wasn't that bad. More worried about the distance between the points.

8. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Yeah, the distance would be nice. Also i was referring to the wires INSIDE the USB cable. 30 gauge is small but kinda big. :S Contradicted myself there, yes...

My dad got me a ColdHeat soldering iron... tried using it... the solder doesn't bond easily, or maybe its because the stupid bevel tip is so friggin huge.

9. Hooya

United States
    Don't use cold heat. Not only is the tip crap but the concept isn't good for detailed work like this.

The points seem closer together than the width of one point. If that made any sense.

imagod22222: 30AWG wire is about as small as it gets, so I'm not really sure what you mean by it being kinda big. And yes, I realize you were talking about the wire inside a USB cable.

10. Takrin

Member Takrin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    yea cold heat sucks, it outputs way too much heat and the tip is somewhat fragile and blinding when your soldering... i did use it for about 2-3 soldering jobs making few projects but everytime i get blinded hardcore so i just stopped using it.

my favorites are radioshack soldering iron (10 dollars, sanded tip a long narrow sharp point), and radioshack desoldering iron reflow mod (basicly just a pump attached to blow hot air at stuff). i personally dont like shopping at radioshack due to their high prices but its faster then ordering it online.

11. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Don't forget that Cold Heat uses an eletric arc, which is something you don't want near your Wii. It could fry something very easily.

12. plexo

Member plexo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    might give ya a rough idea www.consolehacker.net/wiikeyfix.jpg shot in supermacro mode

honestly though just look for the smallest points u can find anywhere on an old board u are practising on and it will help improve your soldering skills

u arnt looking to be good enough to chip a wii, your looking to be better, means you will find the wii easy as pie to chip