Ex-Sony Boss Discusses The Next Generation

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Livin in a box, Jul 21, 2011.

Jul 21, 2011
  1. Livin in a box
    OP

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    The current console model – that of a piece of expensive hardware and real physical media – is about to change. Those are the thoughts of ex-Sony Worldwide Studio boss Phil Harrison, speaking at Develop today.

Harrison sees a move towards a “service-based” model, and suggests that the age of manufacturers spending $3-4 billion on technology and then taking that back slowly on software is over. “That’s the business model of the last 25-30 years,” he said.

He says the model going forward, on the next generation of consoles, is going to become a “combination of retail and services” and will probably be more about business models and monetisation than CPU speeds and graphics.

“I don’t think this means PlayStation the brand goes away or Xbox the brand goes away,” he says, referring to how online services like OnLive have bucked the trend, “but it just manifests itself in a different way.”

“The technology to stream high-quality games directly to your living room or computer or TV is not some kind of science-fiction fantasy – it works, and it’ll only get better over time. I think that’s clearly going to be a future for our industry.”

Harrison also prefers the free-to-play model, a model that LittleBigPlanet was very nearly a guinea pig for. ”I think by and large we’re moving towards a free-to-play business model where the entry point is going to be free and you’re monetizing the engagement,” he said.

“70-90 per cent will be playing for free, but that other per cent will make the game far more profitable than you could ever get selling it in the shop.”

Some of us prefer disks, but when we’re forced to pay extra to play second hand these days – something that’s not sitting well with a good chunk of our readership at least – who knows what the publishers (and console manufacturers) will try next.[/p]

Source

TL;DR Harrison is basically saying that manufacturers could move away from the business model that they have now, which is spending billions on technology which is then recouped with software that is released over the products lifetime, to an OnLive type model. Harrison believes that HD video streams will only get better over time and could be better for the industry as a whole. He also likes free-to-play games.

I'm not sure, I don't think OnLive has been too much of a success to make the next generation of consoles to be based around that. Maybe the generation after the next would be much more suitable when Internet has maybe got better and people are more willing to buy into these ideas.

2. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I'll still take my physical media over Live Streaming any day, at least Physical Media runs at full speed, and at least it's mine to keep.

Nothing wrong outside of that with digital distribution. Most companies are just "Doing it Wrong!"

3. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    +1 to this.

Usually it would be nice to actually use the content like you please instead of limits after limits.. No wonder why a lot of people prefer to DL a game from the internet if it's just a big hassle to get it to work let alone OFFLINE. *cough* C&C4 *cough* [​IMG]

-Qtis

4. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    I'm not going to go for the "new vision". The only people this is good for is the CEOs. Ringing every penny out of consumers and delivering inferior products to boot their bottom line. If they phase out physical media companies will come in and offer an alternative.

5. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I live in London, and in my area the max speed you can get is 2MB.
    Even though I pay for 20MB connection.
    2MB is simply not enough to get something like onLive running.

Bare in mind, I am talking about a place like LONDON!

Even though technology is moving at a fast rate, telecommunication is improving etc etc its just not fast enough or widely spread.

Thats definetely not the future of console gaming. At least not the next gen..

6. Livin in a box
    OP

United Kingdom
    Are you sure it's not 20Mb and you're getting 2MB? Because they're the same thing.

7. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Physical media is the ONLY way to truly own a game. If you have to download all of your games, or worse, stream them each time you play, what happens after you hand over your money and the supplier goes down the drain, or you loose your network connection for whatever reason? You are left with no money AND no game.
    I have some boxed games sitting here that I have had for many years. I can reach over, switch on my SNES and play a game on it 15 years after buying the hardware. I can even unpack my girlfriends old Intellivision and play some games on that 30 years after its release. If everything turns to 'virtual purchases' and streamed on-demand, there is no way in hell any of us will be able to play these games in 10 years time, let alone 30. We'd probably be lucky to play them in 4 years.
    I can't believe and customers would want this from the games industry.

8. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    I get maximum of 2 megabits on a 20 megabits connection.
    Thats shit.

edit: yeah Megabit(Mb not MB). Hell even internet providers get it wrong, not my fault [​IMG].

9. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Digital media will only take over if games drop about 50% in price.

10. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have been saying for a couple years now, that gaming companies will save billions on pirated software and hardware costs if they go to cloud based gaming like OnLive but the world just isn't ready for it yet, not enough people have access to fast stable high speed internet yet. I have onlive and absolutely love it, it runs awesome without a hitch and even on a wifi home network to boot. But then again I have 17-20Mb connection.

People can't pirate games for a system where the "console" is at a datacenter. Thus gaming companies would save lots of money from pirated software cause it just won't be possible with a cloud based system. Its just too bad technology is not widely available for it yet.

11. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    However, you can't play your purchases either if you loose access to the 'cloud' system. I still want to play most of my games in 30 years time. I want boxes and instruction manuals and posters etc. I don't care if the technology becomes so advanced that I can download my 30gig game in a few seconds when I want to play it, I want to actually OWN what pay for.

12. Livin in a box
    OP

United Kingdom
    But we're moving to the future where things will change and we're going to have to face it sooner or later that this is what it is going to happen. We're not still going to be using discs in 100 years probably.

[/devilsadvocate]

13. ShawnTRods

United Kingdom
    Actually the 100 years estimation is pretty good lol.

Idea of cloud gaming is pretty good, but it just isnt the right time.

14. godreborn

Member godreborn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well, according to sony, the discs, the system, and unless u made it urself, everything u own isn't urs. u just own the rights to use them--that's all.

15. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Streaming....what?? What about people with fail ass internet like me?? And many out there?

Actually owning a hard copy is the best part of buying a game.

16. spinal_cord

United Kingdom
    However, with the games that I have now, I can play in five years time, even if removes it from their server. My ability to play the game does not rely on that company thinking it is still a good game.

17. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    This. Nicely put.

18. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    until the majority of people have high speed internet access, this isn't gonna happen, and if it does I'm not paying for something that isn't physical.

19. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I agree with you, moving to a cloud based system sucks, IMO. Less power to the customer, I just wouldn't buy into that. Now if they allow you to download the game to your HDD, thats a different story, but I find a system like STEAM to be annoying needing to have the game installed and logging, ugh...I just want discs.

20. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    The game industry is trying desperately to hurry along digital distribution/steaming for these reasons:

1.More profit! (Cutting out the retail middlemen: ex. Gamestop & Wal-mart)

2.Virtually eliminate piracy (got your attention now? [​IMG] )

3.Monetization (translation: making you pay for things that used to be free like multiplayer-- hello monthly service fees, yea!)

4.More Profit! No used game sales, can't sell what you don't own! See #5.

5.No user ownership (sneaked by with confusing,long EULAs). This will promote double dipping if a service shuts down. The cloud appears then evaporates -- poof your shit's gone!

6.Easier to sell cheap, crappy shovelware because of pricing flexibility and no inventory cost. This is less of a financial risk than selling grand, epic $60 games and they like it.

Can you see now why they want the traditional retail gaming model gone? It's not about a better user experience through forward thinking, it's about making more coin.