Hacking Everything works... except for Castlevania: SotN PSX game in Adrenaline...

Dochartaigh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PS Vita Slim PCH-2001 on 3.60 firmware, Henkaku Enso? (the permanent one that doesn't need to be reloaded on a reboot, didn't see version number), SD2Vita w/ Sandisk 128gb.

I can't get the USA/NTSC version of Castlevania Symphony of the Night to work in "6.61 Adrenaline-7". I've used PSX2PSP v1.4.2 off my ISO from my black-label original Playstation CD with compression set to "3" (didn't touch any other settings, and I've never tried PSX2PSP before so could have messed it up...). I've tried MD5-verified ReDump's with PSX2PSP too (along with 3-4 other KNOWN-working ISO/BIN's - those work on RetroArch, PSIO, on my Raspberyr Pi's, on a real PSX with MM3 modchip on a burned CD, etc.). Downloaded at least 10 different eBoots off the internet – not a single one works. I've tried PGKj and NPS Browser. Reinstalled Adrenaline, three or four times so far.... My folder name is short: "SLUS00067" usually, depending on the version I'm trying... I'm at a loss.

Everything else seems to work: over a dozen Vita games, RetroArch, FBNeo, etc. In Adrenaline a good dozen other PSN/PSX games work (usually NOT ones gotten from sites like cdromance, but installed through PKGj mostly), a couple PSP games I own work, GBA emulator works in Adrenaline... it's just this one game so far.. which is literally the ONLY game I want to get working (trying to load this up for a friend to experience SotN for the first time!).

The most common error is "The game could not be started. (80010005)", but depending on the version I try it can also say the data is corrupted.

Anything left to try? I'm literally ready to format everything and reinstall the firmware (or whatever the correct process is...would need help with this).... but it's going to take me literally 30-40 hours just to re-download all this stuff over the slow 2.4g network (again, only PGKj seems to work reliably to load PSX games in Adrenaline... and that uses WiFi to download... even if I download the SAME exact game off my PC with NPS browser and FTP it over it usually works, but isn't guaranteed).

Last edited by Dochartaigh,

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
I just downloaded the version I had purchased from the US PSN from the regular Vita's download list. The game boots up without issue from Adrenaline on a 3.60 Vita 2000.

Is there a reason you are trying to package it yourself instead of using the official release?

Dochartaigh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, by the "official release" do you mean from Sony themselves? I thought that PKGj and NPS browser are downloading the files from Sony directly, right? I've tried 10+ times to download these games and instal them through the PKGj app on the Vita, and NPS Browser on my Mac - NONE of them has ever worked (multiple other games HAVE worked through these methods fyi).

OR, if you mean like log into the PSN store (or whatever it's called now), and buy the game for $10 - I have NO problem with that (might even have bought it a while ago). BUT, I've never, ever (and have been told not to) logger into any official Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo stores on any jailbroken device - lest they ban me (and possibly other devices like my PS4) on that account. I don't even think I pay for the Sony plan - I don't play online and don't get the free monthly games or anything like that. I do have an account for purchases though. I also have a PSs (which I vaguely remember downloading a PSX game on the PS3, then transferring it via USB to the Vita? Maybe that was one of the earlier jailbreak methods years ago?).

Other people seem to have to problem installing SotN from PKGj or NPS, so I have a feeling it's something else messed up somewhere that is bricking this game from being installed.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, by the "official release" do you mean from Sony themselves? I thought that PKGj and NPS browser are downloading the files from Sony directly, right? I've tried 10+ times to download these games and instal them through the PKGj app on the Vita, and NPS Browser on my Mac - NONE of them has ever worked (multiple other games HAVE worked through these methods fyi).

OR, if you mean like log into the PSN store (or whatever it's called now), and buy the game for $10 - I have NO problem with that (might even have bought it a while ago). BUT, I've never, ever (and have been told not to) logger into any official Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo stores on any jailbroken device - lest they ban me (and possibly other devices like my PS4) on that account. I don't even think I pay for the Sony plan - I don't play online and don't get the free monthly games or anything like that. I do have an account for purchases though. I also have a PSs (which I vaguely remember downloading a PSX game on the PS3, then transferring it via USB to the Vita? Maybe that was one of the earlier jailbreak methods years ago?).

Other people seem to have to problem installing SotN from PKGj or NPS, so I have a feeling it's something else messed up somewhere that is bricking this game from being installed.
Might want to try playing the game through retroarch then using the ps1 emulator it has on vita. There are some ps1 games that have issues when playing them through adrenaline due to adrenaline on vita not supporting different popsloader versions compared to an actual psp.

Dochartaigh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might want to try playing the game through retroarch then using the ps1 emulator it has on vita. There are some ps1 games that have issues when playing them through adrenaline due to adrenaline on vita not supporting different popsloader versions compared to an actual psp.

True, but that's only a bandaid. MANY others (from what I've read online) have NO problem playing SotN on theirs in Adrenaline (like the guy who just posted above can!) - and many are even on the like same exact Vita model, same jailbreak, same version of Adrenaline, also using SD2VITA, etc etc just like me.... so I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem so I don't have future issues when I go to install other games too since something is clearly wrong.

Plus, TBH, I don't care for RetroArch on the Vita - had some issues with using sleep with it and saving (this was a while ago though).

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP

It should be the same as what you were installing then.

It's good advice to not log a Jailbroken/CFW device into an account. I've heard of people being banned from logging in with a CFW PS3 or PS4. But I haven't had issues with using my account on either a PSP or a Vita. It is weird that ban on the console side but seem fine on the handheld side. I did hold off on modding my Vita for years due to those concerns, but only went down the rabbit hole after reading my posting saying it was safe to use login with an account and the hack was to give access to SD2Vita.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a bit blurry but SotN is also contained in the PSP game Dracula X Chronicles. Might be less trouble than trying to get the PS1 version working.

I've also had zero problems running from pkji install so have no idea what the problem is. Aside from maybe? boot driver? but I only know how to change that in adrenaline bubble manager.

Reactions: Deckard5621

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr