Everyone who fixed their Acekard's micro SD slot, come here!&#

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by belomeclone, Mar 20, 2010.

1. belomeclone
    OP

Newcomer belomeclone Member

United States
    So after 16 or so days of waiting impatiently, my Acekard arrived!! And as I was trying to figure out how to get it to work on my brand new, version 1.4 DSi, I popped in my card and found that it did not click!

When I first, first got it, it worked. But the second time I tried it was broken. So, I have written to dealextreme to get it resolved, but waiting two whole months is a rather frightening thought. So, as I wait the weekend for their response, does anyone have any advice? I don't mean "push down on that tiny metal thing" I mean something more substantial.

I have been pushing and poking my MicroSD card around in there, frontwards and backwards, to realign whatever. But I need help. PLEASE!!

2. anton134

Newcomer anton134 Advanced Member

Australia
    what are you talking about, your acekard 2i won't click or your micro sd card wont get in the slot????
    if its your micro sd slot then probably you dont have a proper micro sd card. yours migt be another type of sd card. be sure you have a MICRO SD CARD!

3. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    It's a Micro SD Card. It goes in, I press down, and then it pops back out. The clicking in place doesn't happen. It's well documented.

4. crazyfffan

Newcomer crazyfffan Member

New Zealand
    He said "first time it worked", surely he has a proper Micro SD card. I think his SD card slot was broken
    In my country, any electronical shop can fix it for 1-2 dollar.

5. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    That's unlucky for your spring mechanism in the acekard to fail so soon. The insertion and extraction of the microSD card with these spring mechanised carts have to handled very carefully, i know, i had 1 fail on me.

You will have to contact the seller for a replacement.

6. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    I only paid shy of fifteen dollars for it, so it is not worth the potential two month wait to get another one. If anything, I'd buy a new one.

But, I would like to try and fix it first. I have seen others have done it, or removed the spring all together. So I am looking for some advice from them.

7. grimtooth

Member grimtooth GBAtemp Regular

open it up, remove the spring.

8. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    How exactly do you open up a DS card?

9. grimtooth

Member grimtooth GBAtemp Regular

with a screwdriver. (its not a real ds cart btw [​IMG])

10. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    There's no... screw on this. Does it snap together? Do I force it apart?

Has anyone else done this? Can they give me advice? Does anyone realize that was my original question?

11. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's glued together. Opening it up isn't the easiest of tasks.

12. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Well, I heard you can use a hairdryer to get rid of the glue. So... when that task is finished, how do you put it back together?

13. skill1414

Newcomer skill1414 Member

Australia
    wait....

acekard's are spring loaded?
    I haven't noticed this with my Acekard 2i, It just slides in and out (that's what she said [​IMG])

Is it possible that I broke mine at first use? and now the card functions better? [​IMG]

14. dan80315

Member dan80315 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not at all. There are some batches that aren't spring-loaded. Also, the Acekard cartridge doesn't contain glue as far as I can tell but yet again I've never tried opening it. It doesn't have any screws either, it's held together by these small plastic clip-on strap thingies.

15. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    The 2i's and the AK2s have different builds. the AK2s use clips, where as the 2is are fused together.

16. belomeclone
    OP

United States
    Look, I am glad we all have learned a thing or two, but I really, really want some help with my Acekard. I need to fix it, I am not waiting two months to get another potentially defective one. I may as well get it working right on my own.

So, where are the people who have done this before?? There's tons of threads on this board of people opening their Acekard.

17. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Quit whining. You've already been told; those have clips on, your cart does not. If you want to open it you will need a really sharp knife to cut down the seams, as i've said it won't be easy.

18. Atashi

Member Atashi Out of the Loop

Canada
    I've opened my Acekard 2i but I have never done anything to the micro sdhc card spring. You can't even see a spring, from looking at it.

I didn't notice any glue holding the AK2i together, there are four really small plastic 'pins' on the label side that mate with four small plastic holes on the contacts side. I think the more common way of mating this sort of plastic is hypersonic welding, as it doesn't require any messy glue, but that doesn't appear to have been done here either.

When I pried my AK2i apart all I used was a very small (jeweller's) slot screwdriver, and some patience.

[​IMG]

Once you get the thing open, I don't see any way to access the spring mechanism in the Micro SDHC slot. I suppose you could try and take the micro sdhc slot apart, but that appears to require some delicate de-soldering.

-Atashi

19. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    FYI - My Acekard 2i wasn't 'totally' glued - what I mean is that the front could be pulled away slightyl - enough for a sharp knife blade to fit in.
    With a GENTLE twisting action it finally came away. That's when I saw a very small blob of glue on the edge

As for the 'remove the (broken) spring' - haven't had it happen on the acekard but on my M3Simply it did.
    I had quite a bit of trouble getting the spring out (@ one poiint I though I had broken the pin I was using to prise the spring out)

Just wished I looked on Youtube first - There's Youtube video for R4 spring removal like this one

20. Whipple

Member Whipple GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Let me relate my experience with an AceKard 2i.
    Mine worked fine for months until one day the MicroSD chip failed to click or stay in the slot.
    The card was unusable. I turned to this forum for help and someone here told me to insert the MicroSD chip really using excessive pressure.
    They said that it would feel like the card would break but press hard enough to feel a pop when the socket mechanism is forced.

That did not seem like good advice (never force anything small and delicate - nothing good can come of it).
    However, the card was useless, and I had an old 512k MicroSD around that wasn't being used for anything. What could I lose?

I took the chip, inserted it into the slot, used a fingernail to push really, really, hard when there was a loud CRACK and the card seated.
    After that the socket functioned normally and I have had no more trouble with that card.

I do not recommend this method. It is contrary to what I know about delicate electronics. If you choose to try it, you do so at your own risk.
    However, all that said, it did work for me. The people here are generally knowledgeable and their advice saved my card.

What have you got to lose?