Everyone Beware!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Cmurda187, Mar 30, 2009.

Mar 30, 2009

Everyone Beware! by Cmurda187 at 6:21 PM (2,534 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Cmurda187
    OP

Member Cmurda187 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just trying to inform everyone if they haven't heard yet, there is a virus set for April 1, 2009 to launch and be spread throught the internet.

Details Here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/03/24/conficker.computer.worm/

I hope everyone is prepared for this since using our pcs is part of hacking the Wiis

Thanks

2. Dodi

Member Dodi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Oh No!
    I best get a anti-virus ready lol [​IMG]

3. Praxis

Member Praxis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sweet, I'll try to download this on my Mac. I was thinking of making a "virus" folder and starting a collection.

Or maybe I'll use my Linux box for it.

lolwindows

4. wiibob

Member wiibob GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I like how everyone on linux/mac has to try and prove something.

5. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The conficker virus has been around for ages, it just updates itself on certain dates.

6. Cmurda187
    OP

United States
    I am curious to see how bad this messes things up for those whom aren't very computer savy.

7. feidhlim1986

Member feidhlim1986 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Viruses are released all the time, releasing on Aprils Fools wont make PC's in any more danger than any other day

8. Praxis

Member Praxis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Honestly, as a Windows tech; maybe I'll be wrong with this, but this really sounds like a case of media hype. We get a big virus outbreak like this every few months...*shrug*

Keep your antivirus dats up to date and run a full scan every few weeks, and always keep your backups up to date, as per normal recommendations, and you should be safe.

9. Captin

Newcomer Captin Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    It makes me laugh when people with a mac thinks they're immune from getting a virus. Virus's on mac's have been around since 2006, not to mentions lots of other malicious software they can get. Same story with linux.

If mac's and linux are so safe why do you think there is lots of anti-virus software out for them.

10. Cmurda187
    OP

United States
    Yeah you are probably right. I don't even remember hearing about Conficker A virus . Maybe no big deal but good to be prepared

11. phpgeek

Member phpgeek GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hmmmm, I wonder if this is the actual joke? Nothing will get launched, nothing will happen and they will say "April Fools". A virus based on publicity, lol! We're talking about it so it's disrupting our lives already and the more we spread the word about it, the more it becomes viral. I guess that makes us all the worm!

12. Maximillion

Newcomer Maximillion Member

United Kingdom
    Yeah this virus has been around for a while now, your can read about it here Conficker
    Thought this was gonna be a wii virus at first =)

13. jargus

Member jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If you don't want the virus don't use the internet. My friend thinks that the virus is actually a rickroll that can never be stopped on your computer. If it is, I will spread it to everyone everywhere. Now that would be an April Fool's joke! [​IMG]

14. mcj

Member mcj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nothing to do with Wii hacking. Why isn't this crap locked yet?

15. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    To scan their windows installations, and make sure they're not transmitting malicious files to their friends with windows PCs?

16. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Makes me wonder; Why is this such a big deal to everyone now like this is their first time knowing what a virus is? [​IMG] To me is just nothing but a farce, a rumor that can make people spend money on legitimate anti-virus programs that will won't do nothing to this 'ideal'. I wonder why the news media is chatting about this bullshit when they fully known that its going to be a joke!

17. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    it's generally a good idea to stay away from internet on April 1st... just to avoid all those crappy jokes spreading on every website
    are there still people being fooled anyways ?

18. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    This?

it can be stopped easily but its a laugh to watch people when they click it lol (it's a rickroll, thought i'd mention if i didnt make it clear lol)

19. Dragonsend

Member Dragonsend GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I heard about this. I had been running with just spyware protection for months. I had a trial antivrus and a free one but the trial expired and the freeware was just buggy. I just hadn't had the money for an antivirus like I wanted. A few days ago I got a html redirect trojan from a font site. I managed to remove it but needless to say I went and got Norton Internet security 2009 so I wouldn't get it again. Then I heard about this April Fools virus called conficker and I was kind of glad I went out and got Norton.
    http://www.newschannel9.com/news/april_976...ficker_say.html

On another note some may say I'm a fool for posting and being online today but ehh. I build and repair PCs for a living so if I can't fix my own if something were to happen I need to quit so here I am. [​IMG] [​IMG] Bring it on I say. I'm not going to be scared away by a bug.