"Everybody's Gone To The Rapture" Now A PS4 Exclusive

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    thechineseroom's Dear Esther was a little indie title from 2012 that was, well, divisive, to say the least. Some praised the game as an artistic achievement, others derided it as pretentious, and others still questioned whether or not it even qualifies as a game to begin with.

Well, it looks like the developers next not-Amnesia project, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, will be coming to the PS4... and nothing else.

:arrow: Rock Paper Shotgun

"B-but, but, but muh PC gaming master race!"

Sony has been doing a whole lot to court indie developers recently, and from E3 to Gamescom, they've been doing their best to highlight the PS4's lineup of independent titles. It's an interesting way to draw in PC players who might be hesistant about purchasing a home console, and it's a cost effective way for Sony to secure exclusives (where a AAA title might cost millions, throw an indie dev some ramen and you'll have them in your pocket for life). We'll see how much deals like this actually help once the PS4's launch comes this November.

If I get a PS4, I'm-a-geddon this game for sure. What about you, GBAtemp? Do you have any interest, or will you be left behind?

(Side note: I originally kept writing the title as "Let's All Go To The Rapture" before realizing my mistake. I prefer my title.)

TehSkull likes this.
  2. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Well thats stupid. Throwing all your eggs into a basket like that, especially into a new console. I bet 2 or 3 months after release till we see a PC port.

(Also First Toast)

3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I am okay with this.

4. Issac

Issac I

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Hmmm... I'm not one to judge, but I would've been happy to see it released on PC. Some day I will get a PS4 though, but until that day I guess I won't be playing this game :) When it's long gone forgotten.

5. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    If they gave exclusive publishing rights to Sony, we won't be seeing it on PC ever. Since they did, yeah, PS4 title only. If the Vita can run it, maybe we'll see it there eventually, but Sony isn't getting exclusives by being loose with publishing rights.

6. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    And ANOTHER devastating blow to WiiU. DOOOOOOOOOMED

Ron likes this.
  7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Game definitely looks interesting. Will probably grab it when I grab a PS4

8. TehSkull

TehSkull Living the life

Nov 29, 2009
    United States
    Louisiana
    Just the idea of seeing a world in-action, being nothing more than a cog in the wheel, sounds 100x more beautiful than I can comprehend right now, and sounds like the next step in the evolution of interactive art.

9. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here
    Papo and Yo, and Guacamelee came out on PC, was that different? (Seriously, I have no idea, can someone clarify why those games got a PC port? Weren't they supposed to be PS3 exclusives?)

Shame this has to happen. It sets a saddening precedent IMO.

10. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Neither were published by Sony. For Papo and Yo, there may have been a sense of exclusivity simply because Sony apparently helped fund the project, but it was in no way necessary to keep it only on Sony consoles (unless a deal was struck with a time frame in mind). For Guacamelee, I didn't look far, so perhaps it is the same deal as Papo and Yo, but regardless, Sony did not possess publishing rights for either of those games.

This game though, Sony has procured publishing rights for, so it won't be going anywhere.

Ron likes this.
  11. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    we should also complain to naughty dog to release uncharted 4 for pc then

12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    This is the same thing with Bayonetta 2.
    Sony invested in the game and is making it happen. It wouldn't exist otherwise, making it exclusive is rather obvious.

13. macmanhigh

macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    I thought this was a new Bioshock title -_-

14. emigre

emigre Oh Jeremy Corbyn

Jan 28, 2009
    United States
    London

Sony 'funded' Guacamelee via the Pub Fund. Devs are given an advance on future royalties to make the gaem. The Devs in return follow a number of conditions, one of which is to make their gaem a timed exclusive. Sony don't any rights over the IP. With Rapture, Sony are funding it and getting SSM to assist the Devs in making it.

15. Minox

Minox Spytech Employee

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    If this game is anything like Dear Esther then I want absolutely nothing to do with it, apocalypse or not.

16. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    I'm starting to wonder if you know how to spell that word correctly...

17. jowan

jowan GBAtemp Regular

Jun 10, 2008
    Colombia
    Darmstadt
    Wait what