Hardware Everybody should enable Parental Lock, here's why

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
With the latest update, it's a good time to enable Parental Lock on your 3DS, because if you do:

1) Nobody will be able to format your 3DS without the pin
2) Nobody will be able to delete your NNID from existence without the pin (= all your eShop purchases LOST, both on 3DS and Wii U)
3) You can lock the Miiverse (mostly useless if you're over 10 and slow anyway) so nobody will be able to draw a penis from your account granting you a NNID ban (= all your eShop purchases LOST, both on 3DS and Wii U)

It takes a prank to lose tens/hundreds $$$ worth of eShop purchases. Or maybe your 3DS get stolen and the thief "draws penises" on the Miiverse --> your NNID gets banned --> you ALSO lose your Wii U purchases.

If you're paranoid you might also wanna restrict web based Miiverse access from PC/smartphone devices (there's an option for that), should anybody steal your credentials and make ban-worthy abuses on the Miiverse through web access.

That's the dark side of having NNID/Miiverse on the 3DS. Take adequate preacutions.

The sad thing is we're still far from peace of mind when investing in eShop digital games. Years worth of purchases can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: cearp

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Forget your pin (= all your eShop purchases LOST on 3DS) :ninja:

If you forgot both your PIN and the answer to your secret question, tap the "I Forgot" option at the bottom of the input for the secret question. You will be provided with an "Inquiry Number" that you must enter at Nintendo's Customer Service site.

When your Inquiry Number is entered correctly on Nintendo's Customer Service site, you'll be given the option to join a live chat with Customer Service, or you can call Nintendo's Technical Support hotline at 1-800-255-3700. You will need your Inquiry Number to obtain a master password key from the representative on the telephone.

Before obtaining your Inquiry Number, make sure the date on your Nintendo 3DS is set correctly. The Inquiry Number must be used on the same day it's obtained, otherwise Nintendo's representatives may not be able to help you get a master password key.

http://ds.about.com/od/nintendods10...do-3ds-Personal-Identification-Number-Pin.htm

Still (far) easier than convincing Nintendo to give you your eShop purchases back after one of the fuck-ups mentioned in the OP.

loco365

Trophies
XP
You can easily bypass the parental locks. I can't remember who did it, but a program was released that allowed you the code that Nintendo supports you with in the event that you forget the Pin and the answers to the question set on the system. Setting a Pin is prevention in itself, but if they know this program exists, you're pretty much screwed either way, one just takes longer.

Plus this is why I like my physical copies. Now if only the data transfer tool could copy from the system to games. That'd be nice incentive to rebuy all the games I got as digital in physical form.

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You can easily bypass the parental locks. I can't remember who did it, but a program was released that allowed you the code that Nintendo supports you with in the event that you forget the Pin and the answers to the question set on the system. Setting a Pin is prevention in itself, but if they know this program exists, you're pretty much screwed either way, one just takes longer.

Plus this is why I like my physical copies. Now if only the data transfer tool could copy from the system to games. That'd be nice incentive to rebuy all the games I got as digital in physical form.

Here's the program

http://www.homebrew-connection.org/3ds-parental-tool-remove-the-parental-restricition-easily/

Well at least you're covered against 5 seconds "turned the other way" pranks, non tech savvy friends and low tech common thieves.

Yes physical copies are much safer for the time being.
eShop games are currently a bet for people willing to take the risk for the convenience.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DSExplorer

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah woah woah. This is going way too quick. We can draw penises???? and send them to other people?

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fact is, it takes way less to be banned.

Even writing "I'm 15 and I'm posting from my cousin's account lol" can get you banned, because minors are supposed to have their PARENTS' (and PARENTS only, not even uncles/aunts are OK for Nintendo) permission to post.

It just takes an overzealous moderator and you could easily find yourself flushing 200$ worth of digital purchases (5 big games) in the toilet.

Lock the hell out of your 3DS and Wii U if you wanna be safe.

Lock the Miiverse (grown ups use Gamefaqs).

If you're paranoid use 2 different NNIDs for 3DS and Wii U. (to be fair, while currently there's little incentive to have a unified account, there could be in the future and you might not wanna find yourself stuck with 2 separate NNIDs)

Maybe in 2019 we'll get a decent account system from Nintendo...

Is NNID let me redownload all my eshop purchases on another 3ds?

No.

You have to do a System Transfer from the old 3DS to the new 3DS, both the 3DSes have to be

1) working (if the old one is broken or stolen, you're fucked)
2) under the same WIFI network connected to the Internet

If the old 3DS is stolen, you must send nintendo
- a police report
- blood tests
- samples of your saliva for DNA testing
- your tax declaration and social security number
- proof that you're a human and not a replicant

and then MAYBE in 3-4 months they'll unlock your NNID so you can link it to a new 3DS and restore your purchases.

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could be wrong, but I think having your NNID banned only blocks you from miiverse, not eshop.

Once you create (or link) a NNID on a 3DS, there's no such thing as an "eShop account" anymore. It's just the NNID and everything is tied to it. If it's deleted from Nintendo's servers, your purchases are gone for good.

If you don't create (or link) a NNID, you could still make purchases with the old fashioned "eShop account" but amazingly you wouldn't be able to download FREE stuff (demos and the like).

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
No.

You have to do a System Transfer from the old 3DS to the new 3DS, both the 3DSes have to be

1) working (if the old one is broken or stolen, you're fucked)
2) under the same WIFI network

Why? Did they specify that?
If the old 3DS is stolen, you must send nintendo
- a police report
- blood tests
- samples of your saliva for DNA testing
- your tax declaration and social security number
- proof that you're a human and not a replicant

and then MAYBE in 3-4 months they'll unlock your NNID so you can link it to a new 3DS and restore your purchases.

HOLY FUCK

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Why? Did they specify that?

HOLY FUCK

I edited the wifi part, the 3DSes just need to be connected to the internet, even on 2 different wifi networks.

And I was exaggerating Nintendo ridiculous requirements, you "just" need a police report. If you live in the US, from what I've read. Not sure about how it works out elsewhere. Or worse, in countries where Nintendo isn't even officially present.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you create (or link) a NNID on a 3DS, there's no such thing as an "eShop account" anymore. It's just the NNID and everything is tied to it. If it's deleted from Nintendo's servers, your purchases are gone for good.

If you don't create (or link) a NNID, you could still make purchases with the old fashioned "eShop account" but amazingly you wouldn't be able to download FREE stuff (demos and the like).

Right, but being banned doesn't delete the ID from the servers.
Like say, in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-can-i-replace-my-wii-u.358910/

GBA rocks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, but being banned doesn't delete the ID from the servers.
Like say, in this thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-can-i-replace-my-wii-u.358910/

Does he say anywhere in that thread that he's still able to access the eshop, re-download previously purchased games, purchase new games, and so on?

Anyway, whatever happens on Nintendo's servers side (banned, permabanned, deleted, flagged, I don't know), what we have to address is

1) can you access the Miiverse, Miiverse-related features in games and any future service linked to the NNID? No. (I know I said Miiverse is mostly useless, BUT it still supremely sucks to be stuck with a "forever flawed" account, I surely wouldn't wanna spend more money on it, even if the inconvenience is just being banned from the Miiverse)
2) can you re-download old paid games
2) can you download new paid games
3) can you download free stuff
4) can you do a system transfer of your purchases to another console
5) can you play your currently installed digital games

with a permabanned NNID.

Better be on the safe side and avoid Nintendo's ban hammer at any cost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.