Every time i update genesis plus gx, my save states stop working.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Bryon15, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Bryon15
    OP

Member Bryon15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is the second time this has happened. I was on version 1.7.0 and updated to 1.7.3 But when I tried to load a save state it said error invalid state file! I don't know why this keeps happening. It's irritating because most genesis games don't have internal save feature, so I have to rely on states. Any ideas?

2. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I think that is normal, in emulators, savestate format generally changes every time the emulator adds or improves things, there is nothing you can do.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    yep thats normal

4. Bryon15
    OP

United States
    What!? That's ridiculous. It's not like that in the other emulators.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Emulators that are just being ported off of a stable base (most Wii emulators) rarely need to change their save state format since the state of the machine's RAM/VRAM and such will be the same between versions, but when an emulator is in development on the actual emulation side (not just minor bug fixes), save state compatibility is expected to change.

6. Bryon15
    OP

United States
    Well thanks for the explanation. Still sucks though. I don't even see any difference that the update made >_>

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    half the time the update fixes very little and isn't worth it i usually only update mine when something major is added/updated

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    that is because you don't read or understand the changelogs, because this emulator usually has LOT of changes between each versions, not like other nes,snes,gba emulators which are generally only common bug or regression fixes. If changes were gui stuff you could actually "see", it wouldn't affect savestates anyway, it´s more internal stuff that get fixed or improved.

Now, i don't pretend to understand all the stuff in recent changelogs but i know there were many many fixes regarding sega cd emulation between 1.7.0. (which was more like beta sega cd emulation to me) and 1.7.2, with audio track support being added as well, which i guess modify internal saved states quite a lot