EverSD – How to Run More Games from Stock UI

vonfnas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: This is probably my fault. I see in post #2 here I mistakenly listed snes9x2010_libretro.so as the default core for SNES. I will be correcting that post now. My apologies if I caused this issue for you with a stupid typo.
Ahh! That explains it!
No problem, I'm just happy it works now :D Thanks for the help and all your work! :)

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh! That explains it!
No problem, I'm just happy it works now :D Thanks for the help and all your work! :)

You're welcome, and sorry again for the confusion/screw up...
I guess most everyone just downloaded all the available cores and threw them in there just in case, never noticing the issue... (including me) LOL :rofl2:

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about a couple of bells and whistles that could possible be added to the next Starter Pack...

How about the ability to change the game menu background image on the fly from a couple choices you could set up on the SD card in advance?
-- This would likely be done by choosing dummy entries in the gamelist like launching Retroarch's own GUI on EverSD

Would it be useful if you were able to designate an alternate core to be used for certain roms?
-- Should it be configured system-by-system (via .sub file extension change) or just have the ability to flip-flop between two entirely different EverSD retroarch core profiles? (which could have different menu background art to signify which profile you're on)

Anyone have any other ideas,features, or default core choices they would like to see implemented in a future release?

Martin_Cardona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
i am runnng psx games using pcsx_rearmed_libretro. My problem is the sound is a little bit laggy. Can someone guide me for the best configuration please.

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using my retroarch config?
If not, first thing to check is if "threaded video" is enabled or not. You want it ended for better performance in most cores on Evercade.

That said, Evercade can't play all PSX games at 100%. Most that do play well are at ~90%-95%. Some are totally unplayable (very low framerate).

List a few games you have trouble with and I can test for you on mine.

Last edited by esmith13,
Reactions: Martin_Cardona

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried Pacman World using retroarch with pcsx rearmed libreto. graphics are fine but sound is a little bit glitchy.
OK, tried the first level of this game. Intro video/animation had a pop or two in the audio but the game itself played with steady audio and FPS was between 59-60.1.

That said, this particular game makes HEAVY use of CD Audio tracks. My copy of the game started as a proper rip (each track as a separate file) and I compressed it to a .chd file. If your copy wasn't properly ripped - and especially if you're still trying to use it as a bin/cue, multi-bin, or mds/mdf/ccd then you're working without audio compression and it's possible it just can't load the audio data fast enough from SD to keep up. I recommend making it into a PBP or, ideally a CHD if you can.

If you're already using a PBP or CHD, either (1) your config file isn't setup ideally, (2) your PBP/CHD was made from a bad rip, or (3) your SD card is a "fake" and/or has garbage read speeds. If you think it's config file related, you can try mine in the first post of this thread as that setup is working for me with this game and I'm not even using the read caching option that the CHD format allows you to use. It makes it possible to load ahead a bunch of game and audio data into RAM - ignoring the read speed limits and data loading patterns of original hardware. Again, the biggest change in my config over stock EverSD Retroarch is enabling "Threaded Video" so check that out first if you haven't already.

Martin_Cardona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
Sorry if i`m asking lot of questions, but I would like to know which operating system of retroarch is used on evercade. I am asking to see if there are any updates especially of video drivers.

Last edited by Martin_Cardona,

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if i`m asking lot of questions, but I would like to know which operating system of retroarch is used on evercade. I am asking to see if there are any updates especially of video drivers.
No worries. Asking questions is how we all learn new skills together. (Geez, that sounded cheesier than I thought it would...)

The version of Retroarch used by EverSD is installed on evercade by the EverPatcher. Only the cores, supporting files and assets are on the SD card, so, unless you know how to build a new boot partition for the Evercade you can't update Retroarch yourself. That said, the cores are from the armv7-neon-hf branch so I would assume that Retroarch itself is build from that same branch. Libretro doesn't offer prebuilt binaries for this version since for it to work on a given device it would have to be built in that specific device's environment.
Definitely beyond my skill set to tackle.

What video driver related concerns/issues are you having?

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ATTENTION SEGA CD FANS!

You can now play Sega CD games in .CHD format as well as create .m3u playlists for multi-disc games in any of the supported formats!
To do this you are required to download a custom built version of the Genesis Plus GX core that I have added to the first post in this thread and extract it to your SD card's '/retroarch/cores/' folder - making sure to overwrite the official Libretro buildbot version if you already have it. I have also updated the instructions in the 1st and 2nd post where relevant to reflect the newly supported formats.

Enjoy!

Martin_Cardona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malta
It would be beatiful if we can have an amiga emulator also. I tried to run but it was not running well. Hope maybe someone ith some expierence in coding can run this emulator.

MiCv2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ esmith13, thanks for the RetroArch configuration :), everything works much better now. Can you tell me why the HDMI output doesn't work on RetroArch? What am I doing wrong? regards

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ esmith13, thanks for the RetroArch configuration :), everything works much better now. Can you tell me why the HDMI output doesn't work on RetroArch? What am I doing wrong? regards
So there are three things I can say about this:
(sorry none are very helpful)

1) You are doing nothing wrong. It simply doesn't work right now.
2) it only is broken for the new retroarch added by everpatcher, not the factory libretro cores.
3) based on what I read elsewhere from people that got native indie ports working on evercade, it may have something to do with an odd/incomplete implementation of sdl. It's entirely my guess based on unrelated work from another developer/hacker tho.

Reactions: MiCv2

MiCv2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I understand. So wait for a newer improved version of RetroArch. :)

have one more question .. i bought the game vvvvvv. Is there a way to play the game on Evercade? One did it, I don't understand how, natively on the linux? Excuse my english.. :blush:

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand. So wait for a newer improved version of RetroArch. :)

have one more question .. i bought the game vvvvvv. Is there a way to play the game on Evercade? One did it, I don't understand how, natively on the linux? Excuse my english.. :blush:

It is native on Linux. I don't know linux well enough to figure out how it was done to be able to replicate it. That said, this is the guy that clued me in on the sdl issue which may be related to the hdmi situation. In his info about getting vvvvvv to work, he mentioned he had to write his own dummy program to intentionally corrupt the onscreen graphics so launching the game would reset the screen and display the game. Without that extra step the game would run and he would hear it playing but the screen would remain black. The game wasn't displaying graphics or wasn't displaying as the front-most application.

I consider this to be related since the evercade gui is actually 2 separate apps, one for the built-in display and a different one for 720p output via hdmi. When you plugin hdmi the evercade does a warm reboot and switches to the 720p gui app, this may cause a similar issue to what this person experienced with vvvvvv not running in the foreground correctly. I actually wonder if his dummy app setup would help retroarch display via hdmi in a similar fashion.

MiCv2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When I scan my MAME folder under RetroArch (Import Content), the folder is scanned but not stored in the menu. Others, for example GBA or Lynx, work. What do I have to do? (Of course there are .zip files in the MAME folder)

esmith13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I scan my MAME folder under RetroArch (Import Content), the folder is scanned but not stored in the menu. Others, for example GBA or Lynx, work. What do I have to do? (Of course there are .zip files in the MAME folder)
Haven't done mame specifically, so it's possible it's an issue. I can test myself on Monday and let you know.
Is it possible that your mame roms are meant for a different version of mame than the core you are using? If that were the case, it would be correct for it to find no valid roms and therefore not create a playlist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0