5b72123936.jpg

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/515682206577348608

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice news even though I'm good in the GBA department. Since it will probably be 80+USD, I wonder how well it will sell. People aren't even wanting to drop that on a GW or 40-50 on an EZ4.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If this sells for under $100, has a RTC, and a large NOR+PSRAM, I'm game. And MicroSD please, for the love of god... Include SDHC. I have a 4GB chip not doing ANYTHING.

Reactions: finkmac

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If this sells for under $100, has a RTC, and a large NOR+PSRAM, I'm game. And MicroSD please, for the love of god... Include SDHC. I have a 4GB chip not doing ANYTHING.

Is RTC really that important? Granted I do know the power, if only the whining power, of the pokefiends. Equally on SDHC I would probably only do it because they are cheap and a bit easier to get your hands on than non SDHC right now, and almost definitely will be in 5 years.

Back on topic, so to the speak, the GBA scene could use a bit of a kick, not sure how much demand there really is but if the NES and SNES, and I guess the N64, even with its emulation and lack of game issues, do well for them then the GBA can too.

Reactions: Another World

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is RTC really that important? Granted I do know the power, if only the whining power, of the pokefiends. Equally on SDHC I would probably only do it because they are cheap and a bit easier to get your hands on than non SDHC right now, and almost definitely will be in 5 years.

Back on topic, so to the speak, the GBA scene could use a bit of a kick, not sure how much demand there really is but if the NES and SNES, and I guess the N64, even with its emulation and lack of game issues, do well for them then the GBA can too.

Pokemon games are probably some of the most-played titles on pirate carts... So yeah, a RTC REALLY does make that big of a difference. And it's just a simple timer crystal. VERY cheap component to add to a flash cart without jacking the price up, and takes up almost no space at all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Component price, PCB space, circuit complexity... sure. However the battery requirements it then brings do change things from "until the battery eventually dies" to "needs to be charged reasonably often" and that is a fairly big change from where I sit.

What I am curious to hear about though we be how people feel about save patching. I have long been curious about seeing save types emulated in hardware, however SRAM patching is trivial (though perhaps not in straight GBA hardware) and patching does help for sleep, soft reset and to a lesser extent some of the cheats.

Reactions: Home_Rowed

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Component price, PCB space, circuit complexity... sure. However the battery requirements it then brings do change things from "until the battery eventually dies" to "needs to be charged reasonably often" and that is a fairly big change from where I sit.

Both my EZFA and G6 lite have rtc + rechargeable battery. Both charge when in use in the gba/ds. As long as you use it regularly, it's not really an inconvenience to have it and if you dont, unless you aren't playing for months at at time, it's not going to cause you a problem.

Even if you let it run flat, that's only an issue on the EZFA (battery to hold saves). G6 copies from the battery backed storage to it's normal memory on reboot, so only issue when it goes flat is to reset the clock. Long as they don't rely on battery for saves, you may as well have it, as worst case, you have to reset the clock if you let it run out.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon games are probably some of the most-played titles on pirate carts... So yeah, a RTC REALLY does make that big of a difference. And it's just a simple timer crystal. VERY cheap component to add to a flash cart without jacking the price up, and takes up almost no space at all.

An RTC is more than just a timing crystal. It involves a chip that keeps track of the time as well and a battery to hold the count. All that can add 5-10 dollars on (not a big deal) for just the components and, as FAST said, take up quite bit of room on the PCB. The latter can drive up the cost quite a bit because it would force the need for more layers in the PCB which can get real expensive real fast -- especially if not done in-house.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why not go the whole hog and include sensors to play Warioware Twisted? Still happy with my ezflash 4 but if this is sold for the right price, I would like to grab one.

Reactions: Home_Rowed

Vappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Going by the price of his other first-release designs, it'll almost certainly be under $100. And the difference between the ED64 V2 and V3 gives a good idea of how much extra features like RTC can add to the price.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noone knows until it is out. Real time saving would be cool and probably feasible if you look at what the other Everdrive carts are able to do.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued