Everdrive GBA x5 mini - saving

shadax777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm considering to buy an Everdrive GBA x5 mini, but am not entirely sure about how saving a game works internally.

I already own an EZ-Flash Omega Definitive Edition and am familiar with how its save feature works: it first writes the current save to its internal FRAM and keeps it there (even after powering off). Upon powering on it then asks to write that save to the SD card. I understand this "double-buffering" is a huge safety feature. Otherwise if running low on battery and writing to the SD card might draw a bit too much power, thus shutting off the system and corrupting the save forever.

I'm now wondering if the Everdrive has a similar "save safety feature"?

Thanks!

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
I already own an EZ-Flash Omega Definitive Edition and am familiar with how its save feature works: it first writes the current save to its internal FRAM and keeps it there (even after powering off). Upon powering on it then asks to write that save to the SD card. I understand this "double-buffering" is a huge safety feature.
This is how nearly every GBA flashcart out there works. The main peculiarity of the Omega DE is that it uses FRAM rather than battery-backed SRAM. For carts with battery-backed SRAM, these won't be able to save once the battery dies (unless you reboot very quickly and are fortunate that the save does not die in that time). Omega DE will keep on chugging forever. It isn't about safety, it's simply a very practical and simple way to make a flashcart.
Otherwise if running low on battery and writing to the SD card might draw a bit too much power, thus shutting off the system and corrupting the save forever.
The EZ Flash Omega is the only cart I know of which writes saves to SD during gameplay in this way.
I'm now wondering if the Everdrive has a similar "save safety feature"?
I don't own an Everdrive, but my understanding is that it doesn't write the save to the SD card when powered on like most flashcarts. Instead, it writes it to the SD card when you choose a different game. You should keep this in mind if you want to transfer your saves to/from your PC because it means the file on the SD card is often outdated or ignored.

shadax777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The EZ Flash Omega is the only cart I know of which writes saves to SD during gameplay in this way.
Hmm, I had the impression that it asks the user to write the save from FRAM to SD just after powering up again. Unless the user changes this setting in the menu.
At least that would explain to me why it never encounters any hickups when saving _during_ gameplay. Repro carts _do_ expose this hiccup IIRC. And they must be eating power for breakfast while they do that.

Instead, it writes it to the SD card when you choose a different game
Oh, you have to change the game to ultimately store the save on the SD card ??
That sounds like a major design failure to me.

BTW: how does the Everdrive then store the save intermediately? Please don't tell me it requires a battery... :-/

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, I had the impression that it asks the user to write the save from FRAM to SD just after powering up again. Unless the user changes this setting in the menu.
The Omega Definitive Edition does function as you described. The regular Omega is the one which writes to SD during gameplay.
At least that would explain to me why it never encounters any hickups when saving _during_ gameplay.
The standard Omega writes saves to SD concurrently so it won't affect gameplay, but the power draw remains a concern.
Oh, you have to change the game to ultimately store the save on the SD card ??
That sounds like a major design failure to me.
Yes. That is definitely how the Everdrive GB works and reportedly it is how the GBA x5 Mini works. I am not fond of it, personally.
BTW: how does the Everdrive then store the save intermediately? Please don't tell me it requires a battery... :-/
Yes, it uses battery-backed SRAM until a new game is selected.

shadax777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. That is definitely how the Everdrive GB works and reportedly it is how the GBA x5 Mini works. I am not fond of it, personally.
Could someone else please re-confirm that storing the save on the SD card requires a _game change_ !?!
What happens to my save if I keep starting a certain game, make progress, save it, but don't start a different game after that?

Yes, it uses battery-backed SRAM until a new game is selected.
I had the impression that some firmware upgrade of the Everdrive GBA x5 mini would _not_ have to rely on battery-backed SRAM anymore!?

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Could someone else please re-confirm that storing the save on the SD card requires a _game change_ !?!
What happens to my save if I keep starting a certain game, make progress, save it, but don't start a different game after that?
I did some additional digging. Apparently, this was changed with a firmware update.
https://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-gba/OS/changelist.txt
V1.13

1) Saves management changes*
*System will move save data from battery ram to SD card every time when cartridge boots to menu (instead of moving when game changed).

Reactions: godreborn

shadax777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) Has someone tried removing the battery and then saved?

2) I feel the Everdrive lacks transparency about what exact features it provides and how they work. That is until you buy one of these and try it out yourself.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Has someone tried removing the battery and then saved?

2) I feel the Everdrive lacks transparency about what exact features it provides and how they work. That is until you buy one of these and try it out yourself.
Something about the battery and saves sounds familiar like it's been addressed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.