Ever wonder what it means to misinterpret words?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the past, there was times where I play games that talk and say unusual things that at the time didn't really know what it means. The most common one was Street Fighter II, a popular fighting game where fictional martial arts characters fight each other using special attacks. For one thing, when they use them, they scream it out loud which is ridiculous enough as it is. (Can you imaging doing that in a real fight?) The other ridiculous things is not only what they say, but what you think they said. Because the voice wasn't very clear or for that matter, didn't speak English or even had other accents which is the case with street fighter characters being inspired from various parts of the world, that is usually what happens. :P

Mondegreen is the term that is apparently used to describe this situation. It's the result of the difference in what the actual words being spoken is from what the person listening actually hears and think it is, simply put "misinterpretation". As stated, not everyone is able to easily understand the words but, when heard it is understood differently and think that's what is said for reasons like it sounding similar to the way they make sense of it, or in rap videos how people speak fast or just don't say it clearly.

Street fighter was one of the things that became prime example for this situation at least for me. For one thing, you hear the voices all the time if you do special attacks repeatedly. Only people who played this game in the 1990 would understand what I mean. We didn't always understood what Ryu & Ken was saying when they did that Spinning Kick attack, but it sure wasn't and still don't sound like the more established name it has today, it still sounds like gibberish. Modern times, characters speak clearly due to better quality systems and recording samples and even multi language options, now when you play Street Fighter games, and do the special spinning kick attack, you can hear "Tatsumaki Senpukyaku" least in the 4th & 5th game, but not in any other game before it. Still is just a funny thing I remembered. :P

So does anyone have any experiences like this? If I'm being honest, I still don't know all the words to the National Anthem, as a kid when being forced to sing it in school, I would just try to follow behind quietly so my lips look like they are singing along. I hardly like listening to rap since people speak too fast and can't hear stuff clearly. :ninja:

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
"Go Home and Be a Family Man"

the story goes as that chun li a "ladyboy" was @VinsCool first love.

family man.jpg

true story

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: