European parliament passed article 13 (the copyright filter one)

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Trash_Bandatcoot, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Apparently, it’s official now.
    The European parlement decides to implament article 13 with the new copyright laws. The only copyright law that didn't got implamented was article 11.
    Doing so will kill half of the internet, as bots get injected seeking for copyrighted stuff.
    This only affects Europe, though. All sites hosted in America won’t get affected by this.

Anyways, the war is over, #FreeTheInternet is defeated, and the internet won’t be the same anymore.
    Edit: Someone changed my title, huh.

Last edited by Trash_Bandatcoot, Sep 12, 2018
  2. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Only 13 was passed and not 11. Also as much as I hate 13 being passed it still is not quite sure how they're going to do it. They're gonna work out article 13 because as it stands they can't implement it.

3. Catsinabucket

Catsinabucket Permanently Uncertain

Aug 18, 2015
    United Kingdom
    In theory this sounds awful, but I wonder how they'll implement it and how successful they'll actually be in taking down copyrighted material. The internet is massive, after all.

EDIT: Just read "hosted in Europe". I wonder how much of an impact this will really have then

Last edited by Catsinabucket, Sep 12, 2018
  4. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    awww shucks, seems that i'm concerned about article 13... i've sent mails for Article 11 to many of the deputees. One of them had answered me "We are against this article and we will fight for that."

5. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah 13 was only passed and by itself it just forces google facebook and so forth to take down copyrighted material wich isn't that easy to implement. YouTube is going to suck tho but in the end we could also work with a VPN and start using the internet that way to escape that regulation.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    For some reason that typo make me read it as "The EU parliament decides on impalement by article 11 and article 13..."
    And it fitted quite tight... I mean right. Erm.

7. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    Yeah, unfortunately, YouTube won't be the same as before (my uploaded mixtapes ouch). Now instead of "We've updated our privacy policy" we will have "We've updated the whole damn Internet"

kumikochan likes this.
  8. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Lol true that :P

sp3off likes this.
  9. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    But yeah, that's sad knowing that Internet was a place of free "everything", now that the Govs. are in it (wow we've discovered Internet, what if we conquer it ? great idea m8), little bit by little bit we're losing that liberty...

10. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Yeah it is totalitarian since they pushed those laws without the people knowing about, without giving the people the time to protest and without hearing the voices of the people regarding that. Democracy is an ancient thing that doesn't exist anywhere anymore in the world. It's all totalitarian bullshit. Especially with elections you can see that. In Belgium we're having elections next month but the parties are already doing deals with each other so that when they don't have enough votes they combine and then the votes of all those parties count as one to form a government. It's all bullshit and the world needs to change big time. It's all totalitarian these days all over the world. And with corporations becoming bigger each and every passing moment I see that happening more and more

sp3off likes this.
  11. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Lobbyists triumph over people. The history of "democracy".
    Sad it is.

12. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    (your election part reminds me of the French election, they did the same) Totally (tarian). The thing is that the EU Parliament is superior to every country (all the countries vs. you lel that's fun). We cannot do anything now, since we're over. We lost, and they won. It's like they don't care about our voice, our needs, us...

13. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I just think the parlement forgets, that...

50% of the internet is built of memes.

14. sp3off

sp3off One male shadow

Apr 17, 2013
    France
    Hell's Lair
    *gOoD pOiNt MaTe*

Arecaidian Fox likes this.
  15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Sad day.

Time to ramp up operation shitstorm. Can't filter a waterfall.

16. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Europe 2017: Ha! Suck it America, our internet still has freedom!
    Europe 2018: Oh crap.

In all seriousness, this is ridiculous. Literal meme police.

sarkwalvein, CallmeBerto, Xzi and 3 others like this.
  17. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    This is absolutely fine in my books. For one, this will promote perhaps an alternative-internet structure that we desperately need, perhaps Freenet or Tor will become big and finally we won't have to deal with this. And two, this will make people dislike the government even more. How far separated from the people do you have to be to think this is a good idea? I guarantee you this will cause some more questioning of why the government is and why it does. I really hope they double down on this too, because that will increase those 2 effects. I hope 1 becomes reality :)

18. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Pirate all the things now while you still can. :ninja:

CallmeBerto likes this.
  19. Attacker3

Attacker3 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Underground, in my mother's basement.
    Or just get a VPN and TOR.

20. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    ISPs can throttle VPN traffic, and a VPN doesn't fix files being taken down/no longer being hosted.