Eurogamer Gives More PSP-4000 Details

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Mar 2, 2009.

Mar 2, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    "The next iteration of Sony's PSP handheld will feature a sliding screen, will no longer carry a UMD drive and will allow shoulder button-only games to be played when the screen is in its 'closed' position.

That's according to a development source close to Sony, speaking to Eurogamer on condition of anonymity. We first broke the news of a new update to the system late last year, revealing that PSP-4000, the third incremental hardware revision of the console, is planned for release later this year.

While Sony has refused to comment so far, further rumours have emerged in the past week claiming that 4000 will represent the first major overhaul of the system, with a sliding screen added and the UMD drive removed.

Our development source today confirmed these reports, adding: 'The screen is basically the same as the one in the 3000 - except it slides.' When 'closed', we were told, the screen won't cover the entire face of the console, but the unit will be 'significantly smaller in width' as a result.

With the console in its 'closed' state, most controls will be inaccessible. However, our source claims that games which use the shoulder buttons exclusively - such as LocoRoco - will be playable, as these inputs will still be accessible. It's expected that the unit can also be used for media playback in this configuration.

Eurogamer further understands Sony is approaching developers for ideas for games that only require the shoulder buttons.

Sony said this afternoon it does not comment on rumour or speculation."

Source

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Unless they're going to implement motion controls like the ipod touch, I don't see why shoulder-only games would do well...
    I mean obviously there are exceptions, but this isn't like sliding the screen is going to be a hassle. :|

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I'm not too bothered about the removed UMD slot, I never owned a PSP or any games before so it doesn't affect me with backwards compatibility. I will proabbly get one of these, even though i'm not too fussed for the media playback, I have my nano and the resolution on it is amazing for such a small screen [​IMG] great for narutoz xD

4. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    What about the older games in UMD format??? :/
    I don't think it's a good step to remove the UMD slot...

5. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Okay, Like the sliding screen, but removing the UMD slot?
    I never liked UMD, but that ruins backwards compatibility. I think its a stupid move.

6. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    It sounds interesting the only feature I like is no umd drive. I hate it so much it never stops making noise.

7. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I think they might address the fact of backwards compatibility by digital downloads or maybe they'll put the best games on the new format. Who knows, but I really do hate the UMD noise as well... And hopefully this one loads instantaneous like DS but doubt it.

8. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    How can they remove the UMD slot?

And Loco Roco uses more than just the shoulder buttons...

9. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    2 words - Downloadable content.

10. sa1amandra

Member sa1amandra Gazzaro Launching!

Canada
    Will there be Double anolog sticks?

11. sjones900

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    Noooooooo I just bought a 3000 that's not fair. I hate hate sony now, I'm not buying anything related to them any longer.

12. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I'm sure there's gonna be some sort of solution for those people who actually bought UMDs (all 3 of you). I think Sony has just come to terms with the fact that pretty much everyone that buys a PSP buys it for the custom firmware, and UMDs are getting nowhere fast.

13. Szyslak

Member Szyslak Nudibranch Lover

United States
    So that would make the system entirely reliant on down-loadable content? Or would they start selling games on MS Pro Duo? It doesn't seem plausible that they would completely eliminate store-bought games for a new system. I know we're living in a digital age, but we're talking about 1GB+ games here.

If they made the switch from UMD to memory stick and eliminated load times, I think I could handle that. Still, something about this rumor just doesn't add up.

14. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I think it'll be good to get rid of the UMD slot but what about those who actually bought UMDs? I'm guessing they'll end up like HD DVD where no one wants them and will be hard to get rid of?