EURO vs USA roms

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by 3DPiper, Nov 6, 2006.

Nov 6, 2006

EURO vs USA roms by 3DPiper at 10:43 PM (3,119 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Besides multi-language, what is the difference between the EURO and USA versions of roms?

I've been only downloading USA roms releases, any reason to get the EURO or JPN versions? Would save download time to only get the USA releases instead of complete sequential releases (500-550, etc), which has lots of JPN and EURO roms..

-Matthew

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Yes sometimes Euro versions are bigger because they include multi-languages.
    Also if a friend of yours has the US version of a game and you want to play with him using multicart multiplayer, you'll probably need the US version too.

I remember trying to play a game (I think it was NSMB?) with an US and Euro version, and my DS couldnt detect the game that was being hosted by my friend.

3. Kamgusta

Newcomer Kamgusta Advanced Member

Italy
    EUROs add just the multi-language support. I don't think you need it.

4. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
  5. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Tales of Phantasia had better audio on the Euro version, Jap version of Megaman have better audio too and I believe Megaman Zero 4 had blood on the jap version...may be wrong on that one....

6. redmanmark86

Newcomer redmanmark86 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i dunno why you had problems mate but there is no region blocking in multicart multiplay, i import quite alot fo americna friends and my mates dont and we play games fine together, Mario Kart, Metroid, Mario 64 and so on, all work fine and the list goes on

7. Cyberdude93

Newcomer Cyberdude93 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    It's game specific. NSMB has problems, and every Advance Wars game (DS and GBA) can't link (U) to (E).

8. wohoo

Member wohoo GBAtemp Fan

Sweden
    i remember trying to play lots of gba games with friends, but i always got the U version then (when i was a BIG noob) and it was always problms for us.... just get the same as your friends and everyone shuld be happy [​IMG]

9. RyuKakashi

Member RyuKakashi GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Some europeans are different than others espiecially ones that take longer to release.

Trace Memory was kept in the authentic name Another Code for europe. Europe also had less localization in their translation and kept more to a japanese theme.

I'm not sure about anything else such as contact but for ps2 games, final fantasy 10, the european one features more aeons to make up for the wait.

Also for some games, they are censored in one way or another. Most PAL version of bloody games won't be as bloody or violent. However this applies more to Germany than anyone else. If anyone's tried playing Quake 4 in the german version after the american version, they would laugh.

Other than the occasional content upgrade and such, there is no difference in NDS games other than just region code which doesn't matter since NDS is region free.

.....at least to my knowledge

10. chaka_kahn

Newcomer chaka_kahn Member

United States
    Also, the little time indicator in the corner in some games (such as animal crossing and club house games) uses a 24-hour clock in Euro games, rather than the USA's use of the 12-hour AM/PM system. Seeing as how i am a lazy american, i perfer the whole "not having to use math to calculate the time" thing and stick with US roms.

11. Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    I think brits also use the AM/PM system? Anyway, the 24 hour clock is the simpler one. You don't even need to know letters to tell the time. Of course it depends on what your used to.

Yup I think the censoring happens only in Germany.

Some of the best games are never released in Europe. (I don't think Chrono trigger was ever released here and I know for a fact that Chrono Cross wasn't.) I point the finger at the french/german/spanish/italians. It's easy to understand that publishers don't feel like translating a game to a dozen different languages just to sell it in Europe.