Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
A human rights watchdog has asked the European Commission to assess the legality of software being used to analyse file-sharing in the UK.

The software in question is called CView and will be used by ISP Virgin Media to identify legal versus illegal traffic on its network.

The EC has said it will monitor the use of the software, following a complaint from Privacy International.

It utilises so-called deep packet inspection, which means that it can identify actual file-names, making it possible to accurately find out what content is legal and what is not.

"It was never designed to capture identities. This isn't an answer for that," said Asam Ahmad.

Mr Ahmad said no date had yet been set for the trial but told BBC News it will monitor traffic on three peer-to-peer networks notorious for trading illegal as well as legal software; Gnutella, eDonkey and BitTorrent.

He admitted that potentially 40% of Virgin Media's customers could have their data scrutinised and confirmed that it has no plans to inform them beforehand.

He also conceded that it would not be technically difficult to link up deep packet inspection technology with the IP addresses which would identify individuals but stressed that was not the plan currently.

Source

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lets suppose they go through with this, and decide to prosecute everyone guilty of filesharing.

I don't think Britain would be able to deal with the number of unemployments and prison sentences that would result.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Magoo222 said:
RupeeClock said:
I don't think Britain would be able to deal with the number of unemployments and prison sentences that would result.
But just think how happy the banks would be processing all those fines!

What Banks? Their staff would all be unemployed and in jail.
rofl2.gif

There wouldn't even be any banks to bail out!

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Magoo222 said:
RupeeClock said:
But just think how happy the banks would be processing all those fines!

What Banks? Their staff would all be unemployed and in jail.
rofl2.gif

There wouldn't even be any banks to bail out!
Somehow, I always suspected Richard Branson would be involved in the destruction of modern society in Britain...

megabug7

Forum Relic
Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
BlueStar said:
QUOTE said:
Gnutella, eDonkey and BitTorrent.

Oh no, they've found the secret underworld of the internet.

I've never even heard of Gnutella and eDonkey, why don't they mention Limewire and Kazaa whilst they're at it?
Though people seem to use Usenet these days.

Edonkey2000 started it I think, or was it Napster?

There are others they didn't mention

Emule, shareaza, IRC etc.

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
megawalk said:
oh no! it's doomsday
frown.gif

meh just use a ip mask and hop from ip to ip until the amount of ip's is untrack-able
That's the thing, I'd say that (most of) the users on here are fairly technical minded, but how many of us have set up some form of file sharing for a friend who can barely turn on a PC? The majority of torrent users probably don't know much more than click, wait, close Torrent program when completed so that you don't seed. And getting rid of that majority will make a big difference to the bottom line.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
I've never even heard of Gnutella and eDonkey, why don't they mention Limewire and Kazaa whilst they're at it?
Isn't there a relation between Gnutella and Limewire? IIRC Limewire connects to the Gnutella network? If it is, this is bad. I think I'm gonna download every play-worthy ROM now
tongue.gif

Great timing for me as well. Limewire downloads for me are very slow (a la dial-up speed)
frown.gif

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I'm looking at the bigger picture, 1st you had DX and a couple of other sites unable to list their flashcarts for sale, and now this!

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fission said:
RupeeClock said:
BlueStar said:
QUOTE said:
Gnutella, eDonkey and BitTorrent.

Oh no, they've found the secret underworld of the internet.

Edonkey2000 started it I think, or was it Napster?

There are others they didn't mention

Emule, shareaza, IRC etc.

eMule uses the eDonkey Network. Shareaza uses Gnutella, Gnutella 2, eDonkey and BitTorrent.
Limewire uses Gnutella and BitTorrent, etc. I would say what Kazaa uses but I have forgotten, I believe it's another Gnutella client.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dude... just enable encryption in uTorrent and you are done. There you go ISPs. Analyze that. Even more, do that on private trackers instead of mininova etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu