Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Isabelyes, Sep 19, 2010.

Sep 19, 2010
  1. Isabelyes
    OP

Member Isabelyes GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Only a couple more days to go!

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

[​IMG]

Introduction:

You might remember me from the SMT:SJ hype thread - another excellent game.
    Back then, I simply posted, "Wetting my pants here", and that's pretty much it.
    However, Etrian Odyssey is special, and I wanted to tell all those who haven't heard of it why exactly it has captured the hearts of so many gamers - despite its "difficulty".

Alright, so what is it?

Etrian Odyssey is a First-Person Dungeon Crawler.
    Know what this means? Then, read no further; Etrian Odyssey is a game for you.
    Don't know it? Don't worry, here's an explanation:

*Crowds cheering*

You walk through a labyrinth and fight a lot of monsters.

*Silence*

Sounds boring? Replace "Labyrinth" with "lot of cities" and you've pretty much got an description of DQ IX.
    To be honest, this game is, in some aspects, the same as the aforementioned masterpiece:
    - It's an RPG
    - You can create your own party members
    - You can "switch" classes (more on this further on)
    - It's awesome (fact)

However, unlike DQ IX, it's really difficult.
    If you've ever tried one of its prequels, you'll know what I'm talking about.

...and that's pretty much the gist of it.

So, why should I care about this?

If you like RPGs, you'll definitely love this.
    Boasting extreme customization due to the ability to create your own party out of 10 radically different classes,
    you can spend hours contemplating the best strategy for beating the enemies you'll encounter - and you'll see a lot of those.

First of all, the music is fantastic. It's made by Yuzo Koshiro. Don't know him? Here's a link to one of the battle themes he made for EOIII:
    *Song*

Secondly, the graphics are pretty beautiful for a DS game:
    The First Stratum
    (I can't find the 'spoiler' button right now. I'll update this when I know where to find it.)

Thirdly, unlike any other game out there, you won't be presented with a pretty little map each time you enter a building.
    (I mean, hell, they've even got maps for the final boss' stage!)
    This is because you need to create it yourself.
    How, you ask? By drawing it on the Touch Screen. Duh!
    But, if you really don't understand this explanation; don't worry.
    The game will explain everything to you.

[​IMG]

Fourthly, the gameplay is top-notch.
    With your very own party - consisting of five brave adventurers - you'll venture into the meat of the game - the Yggdrassil Labyrinth - for fame and fortune.
    Everytime you gain a level, you'll get a free skill point (They're always free, mind you; you can't buy them anywhere or anything).
    Using this skill point, you can gain a new skill or improve on an already existing one - but be thoughtful doing so,
    because you won't ever be able to get every skill.

Each character has a vast array of skills - and you'll need them to keep the enemies from killing you at sight.
    Because, lastly: This game is difficult.

[​IMG]

Waah, this game is way too difficult! I hate you!!!

*Middle finger*

No, but seriously; That's the beauty of this game.
    If you really don't like difficult games, then you should skip this one - but keep in mind, that, after Pokemon Diamond, Etrian Odyssey I was the second RPG I ever played.
    Feeling doubtful? Then just try it! The Japanese version wasn't too big - and, also, due to the somewhat extreme versatility offered by the sub-class function, this Third part is the easiest of the three.
    Did you die? If you won't keep an eye out for danger, you'd better get used to it.

[​IMG]

I'm an Etrian Odyssey veteran; tell me something useful instead of all this!

Well, if you insist:

- The old classes have been thrown away to make place for the new. Please welcome: Pirates & Ninjas! (I'm not kidding!)
    - In addition to the colossal Yggdrassil Labyrinth, this game also features an Ocean to swim in - I mean, get killed in.
    - You can now share getting killed with your friends! -> This game features a multiplayer mode - but don't expect too much from it; I heard it was pretty shallow.
    - New Music! New Graphics! (Yeah, probably. :3)
    - The Boost/Force function has been removed in favour of a new, better system - of which I don't know the name. T-T
    - Auto-pilot function! (Takes too long to explain; you should see it for yourself.)
    - Battle message adjustment function! (No slow, tedious battles anymore! Swift is the name of the game!)

But, most important of all:

- An all-new Subclass feature!!

*Gasp*

Allow me to explain things.

Let's say that I've created a Warrior.
    After getting to a certain point, the ability to subclass has opened up. *Happy*
    So, a Warrior is nice and all - but I'd like him to be a little more evasive. (No reason, I just want it.)
    So, what should I do?

Subclass him as a Ninja. You'll get five skillpoints extra that you can spend on Ninja-exclusive evading skills,
    increasing your evasion with 35%.
    Also, with the right abilities, you'll even get free TP (-> Technique Points, MP) everytime you dodge!

But! What if I really need another Healer?
    Subclass him as a Princess (Passive Healer) or a Monk (Active Healer).

But! I want him to be able to cast spells!
    Subclass him as a Zodiac (Alchemist, Mage), and let him fire (:3) his way through every battle!

Coupled with the fact that there are not three, and not even ten, but, counting the secret ones, 12 classes,
    the amount of customization is endless.

Alright, let's try it!

Let's!

Or not. The game's not out yet.

In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
    I'll try to answer them the best I can.

That's it for now, folks!
    Thanks for reading, and I hope I got you interested in - and hyped for - Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City.

*Picture*

Almost forgot: I haven't talked about FOEs yet.

I'm not gonna burst your bubble.
    Just don't get scared if a lovely animal - like a deer, for instance - takes you to the inner depths of Hell in less then five seconds.

Also? Don't sleep in suspicious patches of grass!

Note: I know I've probably forgotten a lot of this game's features.
    You should just try it; there's a reasonably big chance you'll love it.
    I know I will!

Also, for those wondering: The release date is 21 September.
    Only two more days!

UPDATE:

The ROM has been dumped, thanks to ZetaBladeX13, but it hasn't gotten a scene release yet.
    Also, it has AP on it.

Furthermore, I want anyone that posts in this thread to follow this simple rule:

DO NOT ASK FOR ROM LINKS!

I've been asleep the whole time, so I didn't see it happen, but, apparently, a huge number of members has been suspended.
    Don't let it happen to you!

Note that it is currently unknown whether Rudolf's Universal Patch, which fixed the Japanese version, works.
    I'm going to try it now.

Edit: It seems that Rudolf's Patch needs to be updated, since it simply refuses to patch EO III.
    Let's hope that it'll either get fixed, or that our flashcarts will get a FW update.

UPDATE: Turns out the original dump was a bad dump. T-T
    It has been re-dumped, however, and this time it's dumped correctly.

I'm not going to post the filename here, since there is already a release thread made here.
    Please note that it still has AP.
    (Also, sorry for being so late to post this! I was asleep while everything happened, so...T-T )
    Well, to those who won't get freezes anymore:
    Enjoy the game!

~Isa-chan

2. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Nice thread [​IMG]

Loved the first two. I hope this one will be as good, (and hard [​IMG]) as the other two.
    Although I prefered the 2nd [​IMG]

Btw, what is the exact release date of this game?

3. Anne Noise

Member Anne Noise GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Shallow multiplayer makes me sad.

But I'll still be playing this shit out of this game, NGL.

4. Sebbel

Newcomer Sebbel Advanced Member

Germany
    Very well written ; ) I'm also very hyped for the third EO. I loved the two prequels and the third looks even more awesome : ) Just two days more to go : >

@ tijntje_7
    September 21st ; )

5. Isabelyes
    OP

Netherlands
    Thanks for the compliments! :3

I can't wait either.
    I've been listening to the soundtrack like crazy for the last couple of days.
    Whenever I'm bored, I start a new game in EOII just to experience the feeling of creating a brand new guild.

The only thing is that I've played the Japanese version till the end of the Second Stratum.

Don't worry; it's every bit of awesome you'd expect from an EO game.
    A worthy sequel indeed!

6. Sebbel

Germany
    I did not listen to the music until I opened the link you posted. Damn, the music is awesome : D

And I didn't try the japanese version..I think the suprise will be better when I finally get the hands on the american version : >

7. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Hey, that's assuming that DQIX was fun!

I would probably love these games if I knew how to play. Like I play them and I'll pick these classes I think are cool, and skills I think are going to be useful, and then I end up sucking. I go to some EO forums for help, and I find out all the classes and skills I pick are useless, and that I'm using the "wrong builds". [​IMG]

8. Isabelyes
    OP

Netherlands

And you haven't even heard the best of it.

If you liked the music of the first two games, you're in for a nice surprise. :3

Also, no doubt that "the surprise will be better" if you didn't play the Japanese version.
    Kudos for being able to hold yourself back, dude.
    Wish I did the same. T-T

9. Clookster

Banned Clookster Your Clookster

Switzerland
    Can't wait! After finishing DQIX I've been waiting for EOIII!

Counting the days right now...

10. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I can't wait for this game. I loved the first title, and I didn't know there was a second until two months ago. However, I then realized there was a third title coming out, so I figured I'd skip over the second and just wait it out for the third.

I'm pretty psyched, can't wait!

11. Sebbel

Germany
    I better do not listen to all of the music before I play the game, I liked the moment in the previous games, when I fought a Boss and the first thing I did was listening to the music for at least a minute ; ) Music is a very important element in a game.. Especially the Ace Attorney Series have such a great soundtrack.

Yeah, when the japanese version came out, I thought about trying it, but someway I got around doing it : )

12. Isabelyes
    OP

Netherlands

I think DQ IX is pretty fun, though.
    Lots of customization - though I daresay that EO III has even more.

Also, don't worry about your party!
    Like I said, EOIII is easier than the first two games;
    If you'd want to, you could subclass everyone as a healer.
    No way that you'd die then.

Also, any party will probably be able to beat the main game.
    The Sixth Stratum is something else, but if you merely want to see the ending,
    you just have to think: "What do I need?"
    and you'll have to come to the conclusions that you'll need a healer, a fighter, and an element-based party member.

Really, EO III's classes are way more versatile.
    You needn't worry at all!

Proof that you can beat the game with the wrong skills:
    I almost finished the Second Stratum (->World) in the Japanese Version.
    I can't moonrune.

That's not to say this game won't be hard; it's merely more user-friendly than the other two games.

It's clear that Atlus USA wants to attract new fans; dozens of how-to videos,
    fantastic preorder bonuses...
    They wouldn't do this if they knew the game's difficulty would be as "shocking" as the other two's.

Personally, I think the toned-down difficulty is a shame, but, whatever.
    It's still a great game, and, this way, more people will be able to get into the series and experience what EO is about.
    Then they'll try EO I & II, and then we'll have an enormous fanclub by the time EO 3DS comes out. Yay!
    (^ -> Fanboyish fantasies)

But, I have to say that this game is also a lot more intereting than its prequels.
    You've got the ocean if you're tired of the labyrinth;
    you've got all these different class builds that can serve any purpose (save perverted ones) you'd want them to...

I'm having this feeling that the above rant was completely unrelated to your post.

tl;dr version: As I said, you should just try it.
    It's more n00b-friendly, and it isn't as tedious as previous games.

13. Isabelyes
    OP

Netherlands
    You, sir, are a man amongst men.

14. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Yes, it was unrelated lol! But of course I'll try it, I mean I tried the second one because people said it was more user friendly (they lied!)...

Difficulty doesn't bother me, I'd just like my skills to hit, especially if I max their level. Sub-classes sound like they would ease some of the pain.

15. Isabelyes
    OP

Netherlands
    Hexer much?

But, even though I haven't used the subclassing function myself, I've looked up a lot of info on it.

Also, I'm rereading my old SMT:SJ hype thread.
    It's - nice - to read how much I loved that game.

It makes me sad to remember that my save got wiped just before the final boss.
    If my past self would have known that...

*Cries*

Anyway, I kinda have to go to bed.

G'night, everyone!

(Also, this makes me remember of me saying exactly the same thing in the aforementioned thread.
    ...Followed by an edit stating: "Best 200th post ever!" .)

16. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    This will probably be one of the few games I actually buy~! Casue I think the serie is totally worth it~!
    Already have the date on the calander [​IMG]

17. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Alright, this thread has me interested in trying the game (and the first two) [​IMG] I really enjoyed SMT:SJ, but sometimes I get tired of the SMT demon summoning/fusion system and just want a regular, static party. We'll see if I enjoy the game(s).

18. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    Hope you don't mind getting brutally killed by enemies. If you don't mind, you'll enjoy it [​IMG]

19. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Good night, and I actually liked Strange Journey! But that's more as an SMT fan and less as a dungeon-crawly fan. Plus those games map themselves hahaha.

*If I bought any EO games, I would probably give them a lot more love. The problem is that they keep making new ones! If this is the last one for the classic DS, I'll see...

20. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Oh, I love a challenge. Being killed in an RPG might be frustrating, but nothing beats that sense of satisfaction you get when you finish that one troublesome fight (or area, etc).