Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hiii all.

I got my iPhone recently (1.1.1 unlocked by my seller), and I had to pay a shitload for it in Australia so I wouldn't want to see it go to waste
tongue.gif

I did a quick search but no relevant topics came up.

Can anybody tell me some of the essential applications for the iPhone? I already know some of the stuff already, like the NES emulator and two customization apps (Summer something and Customize, I think). I could also do with a GBAtemp-esque iPhone site (will iLounge do, or are they anti-piracy - they aren't from what I can tell?).

Cheers.

Also, whats the best program to convert videos to iPhone compatible formats (AFAIK,they only support mp4)

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Touch so I don' know if some of these are already on your iPhone:

iBlackjack is pretty cool. You make the same gestures as you would at a real table to play.

VNSea is a VNC client with the same controls as all the official apps (pinch, double tap, etc).

Textedit to make notes as you go.

Safari Download plugin allows you to download mp3s and mp4s for playback.

Term-vt100 is a terminal/commandline app.

Finder is a file manager.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for your input guys. Phone should be here soon (hopefully), and I have been told it is SIM unlocked and 1.1.1 (and thus should be using a non-4.6 bootloader?)

Is it possible to now upgrade to 1.1.2 (heard it fixes some fundamental things) and keep it unlocked for use in Australia? If so, are there any foolproof ways to check if it is compatible (won't want to lock my new phone
frown.gif
)

Thanks guys. I'm sure to check out textedit, finder, stumbler and those emulators. Are there any tutorials on how to customize the themes on iPhone (summerboard or customize, I think)?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the vid. All that theme customizing stuff can be done through Summerboard right? And what is this springboard I have read about (yes I'm a noob)?

Themes come with backgrounds right, or do I have to change those with another homebrew as well?

ALSO: Whats the difference between iBrickr and Iphonebrowser?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently I have:

PhotoBoard - Not useful at the moment, but a great tech demo

gpSPhone - very functional GBA emulator
NES - Suprisingly less smooth than the GBA emulator, but still usable
Tap Tap Revolution - If you like rhythm games

iPhysics - Crayon Physics clone

iSwitcher - Easiest way to theme your device

CustomizeNM - Custom build of Customize, used for tweaking some appearance settings

Apollo - IM client
Colloquy - IRC client
Tinyproxy - For tethering
VNsea - VNC client

MobileFinder - File browser, manipulator

All sources - So you get everything in the package manager

Summerboard - More appearance settings; works with iSwitcher

ScreenShot - For taking screenshots
SysInfo - Think task manager

QUOTE said:
And what is this springboard I have read about (yes I'm a noob)?
Springboard is the cluster of icons on your screen, which is "springy" in nature.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the list Urza.

I went on modmyiphone.com and read through some tutorials and the processes seem fairly involved. Is it possible for Summerboard and iSwitcher to do all of this stuff I have been reading on (eg. changing background, customizing dock, custom carrier logo, and other stuff like the keypad, battery logo)?

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible for Summerboard and iSwitcher to do all of this stuff I have been reading on (eg. changing background, customizing dock, custom carrier logo, and other stuff like the keypad, battery logo)?
Customizing the various images (carrier, keypad etc) would be done through Customize. iSwitcher is like a theme manager, with backgrounds, custom app icons, etc. Summerboard replaces springboard, has its own themes, and can be set to use the icons from your iSwitcher theme.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I guess the tutorials were a bit outdated if these three programs are capable of doing all that.

Is there any site (other than modmyiphone/ifone.com) with tutorials? The fundamental tutorials on modmyifone are broken links for me
frown.gif

A question of mine that wasn't answered before: iBrickr and iPhoneBrowser are PC clients right? What are their purposes?

To the guy who asked above about the PSX emulator, the controls can either be "landscape" or "portrait" and superimposed on the visual or under it respectively. Search "psx4iphone" on youtube for some videos.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have Installer?

QUOTE said:
A question of mine that wasn't answered before: iBrickr and iPhoneBrowser are PC clients right? What are their purposes?
They're for browsing the files located on your device. iBrickr doesn't work with 1.1.1+, and I've never used iPhoneBrowser.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As in the installer for applications? No. I have no idea where to start either. The phone has already been SIM unlocked though and should be with me shortly.

Well if you haven't used iPhoneBrowser, I guess I won't need to either
smile.gif
I just read something about using it for themes and things.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just go to jailbreakme.com from the device when you get it. That will jailbreak your iPhone if it isn't already, and install Installer. All other apps will be installed from Installer itself.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just go to jailbreakme.com from the device when you get it. That will jailbreak your iPhone if it isn't already, and install Installer. All other apps will be installed from Installer itself.

Thanks for the link. How would I go about adding 3rd party applications to my iPhone? Is this/can it be done online and through Installer (so no PC Syncing)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1