Hacking eShop has downloadable 3ds games. Possible mistake by nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2n

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this isn't old news, but I'm curious to know: If you can download 3DS games from the eShop, aren't they stored on the SD card (probably encrypted too), and can be decrypted and distributed?

Can someone explain what's going on here in detail and why or why not this would work please?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is not a mistake, it's a feature: download retail games instead of buying a cartridge.
Advantage: you can have multiple games on the SD card at the same time, no need to transport all your cartridges with you.
it's now a common thing to buy and download games (steam, 3DS, WiiU, etc.)

Decrypt require a common key (stored and used by the console. can be found if console is hacked)
Encrypt require a private key (stored by Nintendo HQ. Nobody can find it)
the 3DS requires that the game is encrypted, so if you decrypt it you can't re-encrypt it to play on another console.

Decrypting will serves no purpose except looking inside and extract content (pictures, sound, etc.)

If you have more questions regarding what's possible or not to hack the console or bypass security, I think it will be better in the stickied 3DS hacking theories thread.

Reactions: t377y000
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol