eShop has downloadable 3ds games. Possible mistake by nintendo?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by g2n, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g2n
    OP

Newcomer g2n Member

United States
    I know this isn't old news, but I'm curious to know: If you can download 3DS games from the eShop, aren't they stored on the SD card (probably encrypted too), and can be decrypted and distributed?

Can someone explain what's going on here in detail and why or why not this would work please?

2. Ryupower

Member Ryupower Brood

United States
    we CAN NOT decrypt (yet)

they are just like ANY 3ds software you get off the eshop

3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    This is not a mistake, it's a feature: download retail games instead of buying a cartridge.
    Advantage: you can have multiple games on the SD card at the same time, no need to transport all your cartridges with you.
    it's now a common thing to buy and download games (steam, 3DS, WiiU, etc.)

Decrypt require a common key (stored and used by the console. can be found if console is hacked)
    Encrypt require a private key (stored by Nintendo HQ. Nobody can find it)
    the 3DS requires that the game is encrypted, so if you decrypt it you can't re-encrypt it to play on another console.

Decrypting will serves no purpose except looking inside and extract content (pictures, sound, etc.)

If you have more questions regarding what's possible or not to hack the console or bypass security, I think it will be better in the stickied 3DS hacking theories thread.

t377y000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.