Gaming eShop codes region-locked?

Katana

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can somebody tell me if eShop codes are region-locked? For example, if I buy a $10 eShop card at GameStop in the US, and send the code to my buddy down in Europe, would he be able to use the code? I assume that if it is possible the currency would be converted, re-adjusting the value.

Bonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Correct. They are locked. Of course... we europeans always pay more. Nobody in europe would buy a european eshop card if he could use US cards.

Reactions: Katana

noki@

Trophies
XP
Country
LOL I hate how companies do that,,, Maybe someone will figure a way to dump the games on the E-shop, especially the new Mario Kart levels

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wonder, why dumping e-shop games seems to be much harder, than rom dumping. All the eshop files are on SD card (or they aren't?), so it should be easier if eShop doesn't use another encryption (but as far as I know, encryption doesn't matter when it comes to cartridges - roms are encrypted anyway, so there's no need to decrypt them) or what? Or it's easy, but no one wants to do it... Anyway I hope that more e-shop dumps will be released soon, like FS3D, or Puchicon 3gou (Petit computer 3DS [release date is only set for Japan])

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A cartridge game is just encrypted, but in such a way that it will work on any console. You dump the cartridge, still encrypted exactly as it is, and it will run on gateway in any console (that gateway works on).

An eshop game is encrypted to only work on a specific console. You dump it as it is, it won't work on any other console.
You'd have to decrypt it, and then re-encrypt it in such a way as it will run on any gateway console (turning them into a .3ds file is how this has been done, and has also required gateway to patch the firmware so that it doesn't care that the game was encrypted by someone else other than nintendo).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL I hate how companies do that,,, Maybe someone will figure a way to dump the games on the E-shop, especially the new Mario Kart levels
Note that the new Mario Kart tracks are for the WiiU, not the 3DS, which isn't even properly hacked yet. (also they're really not that expensive for the amount of tracks you get, so you could actually buy them)

MOHRCORE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A cartridge game is just encrypted, but in such a way that it will work on any console. You dump the cartridge, still encrypted exactly as it is, and it will run on gateway in any console (that gateway works on).

An eshop game is encrypted to only work on a specific console. You dump it as it is, it won't work on any other console.
You'd have to decrypt it, and then re-encrypt it in such a way as it will run on any gateway console (turning them into a .3ds file is how this has been done, and has also required gateway to patch the firmware so that it doesn't care that the game was encrypted by someone else other than nintendo).

Thanks for getting things straight :) So, eShop games are encrypted seperately for every 3ds... Hmmm... that makes stuff much harder. So finding encryption key sounds almost impossible. But someone can do it (or found way to get pure unecrypted game from Nintendo servers, which sounds more impossible)... I hope we'll know soon how to dump eShop :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr