Hacking Error while trying to use Ocarina Cheats with CFG

Senortruco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
As title says, for a long while with many games I haven't been able to use Ocarina in any of my games, even if I create manually the CGT file and put it in the "codes" folder of the sd. It just says
"Cheats: Loadiing
unknown syntax!
3: <´body´>
Press any button..."

What am I doing wrong :(? really wanna get back to using cheat x.x

Also, I tried with usbloader gx and it also doesnt detect the cheat file.

Thanks in advance!

Senortruco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I am using the geckocodes page for the cgt

Thanks for replying!

After many tries i managed to make that annoying syntax error appear and can select the cheats in the cfg, but now i save the cgt file and the cheats arent working lol...

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you using Ocarina in 2020? Gecko OS is Ocarina with more features and came out 10 years ago... Plus it supports SDHCs, basically the only normal-sized SD cards on the market now. Good luck finding 'normal' SD cards that will still work with Ocarina in 2020, they don't make them anymore because a 2gb card is utterly worthless in the modern day.

As for your problem, it sounds like you're using the wrong file format. Cheat codes should be saved as .gct, not whatever format you're saving them as. I'm surprised these apps are even picking it up... They must read the game ID, and then only look for a codes folder with said game ID in it regardless of file format. I've never saved anything other than .gct files in my codes folder so I wouldn't have noticed anything if this is the case. I'll have to set up my Wii again and experiment.

Also, if you aren't already, use Ocarina Cheat Manager (there should be download links somewhere on the internet) to compile all your codes into a GCT with ease.

EDIT: Throughout my time hacking games and such, I've always found that some codes just refuse to work regardless of being the right region etc.. When I used to hack on MKWii, a lot of BullyWiiPlaza's codes would never work on my Wiis. There was no obvious reason as to why as any other PAL MKWii code worked without issue.

Last edited by Cryoraptor,

Senortruco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Why are you using Ocarina in 2020? Gecko OS is Ocarina with more features and came out 10 years ago... Plus it supports SDHCs, basically the only normal-sized SD cards on the market now. Good luck finding 'normal' SD cards that will still work with Ocarina in 2020, they don't make them anymore because a 2gb card is utterly worthless in the modern day.

As for your problem, it sounds like you're using the wrong file format. Cheat codes should be saved as .gct, not whatever format you're saving them as. I'm surprised these apps are even picking it up... They must read the game ID, and then only look for a codes folder with said game ID in it regardless of file format. I've never saved anything other than .gct files in my codes folder so I wouldn't have noticed anything if this is the case. I'll have to set up my Wii again and experiment.

Also, if you aren't already, use Ocarina Cheat Manager (there should be download links somewhere on the internet) to compile all your codes into a GCT with ease.

EDIT: Throughout my time hacking games and such, I've always found that some codes just refuse to work regardless of being the right region etc.. When I used to hack on MKWii, a lot of BullyWiiPlaza's codes would never work on my Wiis. There was no obvious reason as to why as any other PAL MKWii code worked without issue.

But Gecko OS only works if you have the CD, no? I tried it and didnt know how to run it from CFG loader.

After many tries i managed that it detects the txt file and i created the cgt file but the cheat doesnt work stil.. Might be that its a faulty cheat or im still doing something wrong.

Also, i tried searching that ocarina che<at manager and i think its been discontinued, as i didnt find anything. you know where to find it?

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But Gecko OS only works if you have the CD, no? I tried it and didnt know how to run it from CFG loader.

After many tries i managed that it detects the txt file and i created the cgt file but the cheat doesnt work stil.. Might be that its a faulty cheat or im still doing something wrong.

Also, i tried searching that ocarina che<at manager and i think its been discontinued, as i didnt find anything. you know where to find it?
You don't have the disc? How were you using Ocarina then? Were you referring to a built-in code engine that a lot of things like USBloader have that's referred to as Ocarina when it shouldn't be?

I'm not very familiar with hacking on discless ROMs. Are you sure you have to be saving a .cgt file and not a .gct file like normal?

As for ocarina cheat manager, it was made over 10 years ago now so yes it will be discontinued, but I was able to download it as late as 2018. I found a working link within seconds so I'm not sure how thorough your search was...

Here's the link: https://www.zeldacodes.org/downloads/code-manager

If you can run codes on other games fine with the exact same method, then I'd say it's a problem with the codes themselves. Are they for your region? Have you misedited the code somehow so it doesn't work? If they are for your region and you've not fucked the codes up accidentally, and you can use codes for other games then I'd say the codes are just refusing to work like BWPs codes refused to work with my Wiis. I've no idea if it's the brand of SD card/USB that affects it as I do remember when I was playing around with codes not a huge amount of time ago, BWP codes finally worked for me, and I was using a newer 32gb SD card. Sometimes things in code go wrong for nothing humans can extrapolate.

Duncan Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Its a problem with CFG loader, I have a similar issue, I've downloaded the file via CFG's internal downloaded and it shows that error when attempting to read the .txt to generate the .gct

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its a problem with CFG loader, I have a similar issue, I've downloaded the file via CFG's internal downloaded and it shows that error when attempting to read the .txt to generate the .gct
In that case, use a different code loader. Most usbloader-type software has one built in that will use .gcts.

Duncan Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
In that case, use a different code loader. Most usbloader-type software has one built in that will use .gcts.
Oh if I only could, currently trying to find a Y type power cable for the enclosure I own and see if that fixes the issue that I have with Wiiflow and USB loader GX (and yet, CFG reads the EHDD perfectly and boots the games, yet, wiiflow and GX won't).

Last edited by Duncan Idaho,

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh if I only could, currently trying to find a Y type power cable for the enclosure I own and see if that fixes the issue that I have with Wiiflow and USB loader GX (and yet, CFG reads the EHDD perfectly and boots the games)
That suggest CFG has some sort of bug that prevents it from loading codes properly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.