Hardware Error 001: Unkown device is detected

Bruinbaard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So today I was trying some new wii games on my wii with wiikey ( still first wiikey firmwaren. never did updates since it worked well). Then i'd put wii chess in the wii and The game channel just showed the picture so it could read it. I click play and then bam! Error 001: Unkown device is detected.
So I was like WTF and started to read on gbatemp wii chess release post but no comments about my problem.
Anyone knows how to fix it and why only wii chess does it?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's one of Nintendo's new copy protections. It was first used on Super Mario Galaxy and now more games will have this protection. You can counteract this protection by updating your wiikey to the latest firmware.
But already a new protection is in place. The Japanese release of smash bros brawl has a new protection that prevents it from working a consoles modded with wiikey

Bruinbaard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't want to update my wiikey to 1.9g since a lot of people have trouble with it.
And Dk Jet blast also just worked, why?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you don't want to update, you can't run the games that have this protection. It's as simple as that.
And not all games have this protection. Buy you can expect more and more upcoming games to have it.

superkris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure about that!

I have the Galaxy update on my wikkey and last time I put Galaxy in I got that same error message.

I reset and try again and everything was fine

Bruinbaard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm well I might update when there are much more games which need the update but for now, i think I just don't play wii chess and smg

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just update
It's safe
People alwyas have problems with everything on forums. "oh my wiikey doesn't work" "oh backups don;t play" you know?
Majority of people have had no problem with 1.9g

Bruinbaard

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well I'm not really trusting it since two customers of the guy who modded my wii have broken their wiikey by updating to 1.9g

SimpleSimon08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What if you have different mod chip than the Wiikey, I am not sure which chip I have as it was installed by a third party, it is an open source chip I believe. Which leads me to ask a couple of questions is there a disk/program which can tell you the chip model and firmware or does one have to open up the Wii? Is the Wiikey the only chip that is upgradeable whilst installed in the Wii?

Cheers

Simon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: prime deez nuts