Epic Games Unveils Fortnite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Dec 11, 2011.

Dec 11, 2011
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [yt]84-l6Ct3hAI[/yt]​

Unreal Engine creators Epic Games have unveiled their newest game, titled "Fortnite".

Not much was shown of the game other than a cinematic trailer. However, it could hint to some possible gameplay. The graphics appear to be cartoony, a definite departure to the gritty graphics of their latest outing, Gears of War 3. The trailer shows a group collecting scrap from a building they raided, then bringing it back to their fort and using the salvage to fortify their defenses. It also appears to have a "zombie-esque" type of survival to it. Given the title "Fortnite", it seems reasonable to believe it will involve fortification and prolonged survival.

No other info was shown. Watch the trailer and decide what it could be yourself!

[​IMG] Source

2. Gamer4life

Member Gamer4life I am the Orange Gamer

United States
    looks pretty cool

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Funny how in another thread it was just brought up how people are still doing the zombie thing...

4. nintendoom

Member nintendoom Nintendoom

Antarctica
    reminds me of Fort ZOmbie :)

5. Vinnymac

Member Vinnymac GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah...this is pretty obviously a zombie game. You scavenge for parts, you build up your base, and then defend against the horde.

Basically it is Epic's way of saying we knew Horde Mode was big, and now we want to actually make money off of it.

6. Gadgetguy96

Newcomer Gadgetguy96 Member

United States
    The cartoony graphics look better than I expected at first.

7. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    oh my hopefully this will be some sort oft zombie surviving shooter paired with a GTA like sized town that is completely destroyable paired with minecraft/terraria building style XD

like free building your forts for the night and free running around at day time and when the night comes you need to have a strong fort build and defend against these creatures.

would be really cool if you had a base where you could make tools to build equipment and parts for your base and whatever, still it should be completely destroyable by the monsters (even thaught not to fast)

and making it as real as not beeing able to carry 10 weapons at once (big ones) so that you really need to put your weapons and ammo somewhere at day and need to be close to them at night.

8. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I just hope it's not a Tower defense game as it will be for a totally different audience than what Gears was.
    I tried Brutal Legend because it looked like a cool fun game, when I got to the Tower Defense part of the game I had to ditch it as it was horrible and I couldn't pass it.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    If fun, co-op, cheap and for PC, I'll buy it together with my cousin. Hopefully PC too, but I somehow doubt it :(

10. Erdnaxela

Member Erdnaxela GBAtemp Fan

France
    Looks fun, can't wait to see more.
    And yeah, let's hope for a PC release too!

11. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Admittedly Horde Mode was pretty fun. I'm a sucker for co-op survival modes and an entire game based around it (like Left 4 Dead) really do strike me.

12. Gwaith

Member Gwaith GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    Man, I finally have something to agree on with Guild. The day has finally come ;) .

13. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Does anyone else get a Minecraft vibe from this )building forts in the day to defend from undead creatures at night)?

As for the game... Eh, I'll wait until they release some real info on it before passing judgement.