[UPDATE] Epic Games to sue Apple and Google

epic-games-logo.jpg

Following Apple's decision to pull Fortnite from its Apple Store, Epic Games announced that it will take legal action. Epic Games shared the news via the official Fortnite Twitter account:

“Epic brings this suit to end Apple’s unfair and anti-competitive actions that Apple undertakes to unlawfully maintain its monopoly in two distinct, multibillion dollar markets: (i) the iOS App Distribution Market, and (ii) the iOS In-App Payment Processing Market(each as defined below),” the lawsuit reads. “Epic is not seeking monetary compensation from this Court for the injuries it has suffered. Nor is Epic seeking favorable treatment for itself, a single company. Instead, Epic is seeking injunctive relief to allow fair competition in these two key markets that directly affect hundreds of millions of consumers and tens of thousands, if not more, of third-party app developers.”

You can read the complaint in its entirety in the source link below.

:arrow: SOURCE

UPDATE:

In response to Fortnite being taken down from the Google Play Store as well, Epic Games filed a lawsuit against against Google for antitrust violation.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Prans,

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
This will be interesting. Didn't Epic break the Apple ToS? Do they even have a case?

EDIT: They definitely knew it was coming and prepared the lawsuit beforehand. Maybe they even angered Apple intentionally so they could do this.

Last edited by smileyhead,

Little_Anonymous_Hacker

GBAtemp's Openly ABDL 1337 HAX0R
Trophies
Website
littleanonhax0r.zyrosite.com
XP
Country
United States
This will be interesting. Didn't Epic break the Apple ToS? Do they even have a case?
It seems to be less about breaking the ToS, and more about how the ToS has always been "unfair and anti-competitive" in the first place.
They definitely knew it was coming and prepared the lawsuit beforehand. Maybe they even angered Apple intentionally so they could do this.
I'm sure of it.

Last edited by Little_Anonymous_Hacker,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It seems to be less about breaking the ToS, and more about how the ToS has always been "unfair and anti-competitive" in the first place.
True, but don't kid yourself, Epic has no problem with anti-competitive practices...so long as they're the ones profiting from those practices.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't like Apple and quite honestly under any normal circumstance, I would cheer for whoever is the one suing them. But I actually dislike Epic far more than I dislike Apple, so I hope Apple kicks their ass.

D

Deleted User

Fortnite sure is a troublesome compadre
Maybe this case will open the app store in the Future. Its quite limited

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This should be interesting, it's not David vs goliath, it's goliath vs goliath. Both have very deep pockets and can litigate this with the most expensive lawyers money can buy.

I hope epic win as it would set a precedent and ultimately help the smallest developers get a bigger piece of the pie

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn